"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #41
Head Chef

If you like DA for the history as well as the soap opera factor (I love both), you might like to order the Netflix DVD of another BBC Masterpiece Theater show, this one an Anthony Trollope book -- The Way We Live Now. It provides a look into a scoundrel's shady business practices and the consequences. This was set before Downton Abbey --prior to the turn of the 20th Century -- but can reel you in once you start. Sadly, things don't seem to have changed so much.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #42
Master Chef

I'm glad to see this post Lizzie. The Way We Live Now has been on my Netflix list for some time and now I'll check it out to be sure.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The way we live now, is also on Netflix instant watch, I may give it a go.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #44
Master Chef

I finally gave in and watched the first season today. Got all 7 episodes in since DH was teaching and the yungun was at band practice. We stream through our Wii. Does anyone know if you can stream amazon stuff with it too? If not, I'll have to watch season 2 on the computer.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
If you like DA for the history as well as the soap opera factor (I love both), .
i certainly do, from a personal familial standpoint. my grandfather was heavily involved in movement to "toss off the yoke of english rule" in ireland while living in co. leitrim (a border county just outside the six counties that the english refused to allow to be free.) my grandfather was fairly wealthy from having served in the u.s. army during world war 1, receiving 2 purple hearts in action overseas, and then took his disability pay from the u.s. government back to live in ireland after the war which he invested wisely. my dad was raised in a nice house with indoor plumbing and electricity, private schooling, a maid, and a car of their own. most of these things were very rare in the north midlands of ireland back in the early twenties.

my dad has often talked of things that are mentioned in the show by the chauffeur tom branson (who married lady sybil). things like the black and tans, the fenian brotherhood and the r.u.c., and so on.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i certainly do, from a personal familial standpoint. my grandfather was heavily involved in movement to "toss off the yoke of english rule" in ireland while living in co. leitrim (a border county just outside the six counties that the english refused to allow to be free.) my grandfather was fairly wealthy from having served in the u.s. army during world war 1, receiving 2 purple hearts in action overseas, and then took his disability pay from the u.s. government back to live in ireland after the war which he invested wisely. my dad was raised in a nice house with indoor plumbing and electricity, private schooling, a maid, and a car of their own. most of these things were very rare in the north midlands of ireland back in the early twenties.

my dad has often talked of things that are mentioned in the show by the chauffeur tom branson (who married lady sybil). things like the black and tans, the fenian brotherhood and the r.u.c., and so on.
Thank you for personalizing DA for us, BT. I'm sure we'll all be more attentive to the Lady Sybil/Branson story line as it moves forward.

I'm sorry to show my ignorance (and could Google it I know), but might you say something about those latter things you mentioned -- my knowledge of them is scant if not nonexistent.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

That's fascinating Bucky, where I am from we practically all have Irish heritage . It's not far from me yet I have never been to Ireland, have you been or do you have plans to go ?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #48
Master Chef

Disclaimer: don't look here if you haven't started on season 3....

Since we are all foodies, I found this interesting blog
Downton Abbey Cooks

Enjoy!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #49
Head Chef

Thanks, Kayelle. I'll bet we could put some of that gorgeous wedding fruitcake on a plate for the coffee klatsch.

If anyone would like to take a look at Julian Fellowes, there is a BBC series available through Netflix called "A Most Mysterious Murder" on two discs. The description calls him "novelist, actor, director and Oscar-winning screenwriter" (Gosford Park). The mysteries are actual unsolved century-old murders that Fellowes presents in an Alfred Hitchcock manner -- he's quite droll. I could have sworn one of the women victims was our Mrs. O'Brien from DA.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
Master Chef

Thanks Lizzie, I'll give that a look see.

I started watching the old classic series "Upstairs Downstairs" but after the second episode, I gave up. The "British Speak" so hard to understand, and the characters are unlikable and annoying. Downton Abbey it's not! I can hardly wait for the new episode of DA tonight, although I'll be watching it on the website in the morning as "The Golden Globes" and I have a date this evening.