"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Kayelle. I have it marked for reading at three in the morning when I am wide awake.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thank you for personalizing DA for us, BT. I'm sure we'll all be more attentive to the Lady Sybil/Branson story line as it moves forward.

I'm sorry to show my ignorance (and could Google it I know), but might you say something about those latter things you mentioned -- my knowledge of them is scant if not nonexistent.
i can't really comment on any of these things as i would have a certain bias that would essentially cause me to speak of these things in a political light which is disallowed at dc, and i'm already in enough trouble here of late for much more trivial matters.

all the same, be careful if or when you search about these topics and consider their source from which the information about them has come. the victors usually write the history in any given situation, but both the english and irish have had a lot to say over the years about "the troubles" as it has come to be known.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
That's fascinating Bucky, where I am from we practically all have Irish heritage . It's not far from me yet I have never been to Ireland, have you been or do you have plans to go ?
you might be sorry you asked.

why yes, my last trip to ireland was back in 2003. i saw a lot of ireland that most visiting americans have or will ever see (or will ever want to, really.)

i started in dublin staying with friends in the suburb of balbriggan for a few days, then went with them to their family's home in west belfast. while in belfast i visited a lot of political and historical sites such as the sinn fein headquarters, divis tower, both sides of falls road and shankill road taking pictures of the political murals along the way, paid my respects at the gravesites of bobby sands and the other hunger '80's hunger strikers, and a number of other places along the same lines.

i also toured up the coast road to see the place where the titanic was built, and then visited derry for a day, having lunch in a pub in the bog side and shopping along the wall where bloody sunday occurred. again, i can't really speak to these things here.

but then i went off on my own driving down through kilkenny and into ballinamore, the town where my dad grew up. i even found the house my grandfather built back in 1920, finally owning it free and clear under the saorstat eireann act (a free irish state) in 1922. when the current owner learned that i was in town, he invited me to visit for tea and videotape the house to show my dad when i returned to the states. he even showed me my grandfather's original plans and deed to the house as a free irishman.

next, i travelled across central ireland to co. sligo to photograph some castles, then to co. mayo to the town of westport, partying there for an overnight before doing my pilgrimage up and down croagh patrick, the mountain where st. patrick was said to have built a church and banned all the snakes from ireland. (he was a very thorough saint, even removing all of the snakes' fossils as well, lol).

finally, i went back to ballinamore and then down to mullingar in co. westmeath before heading back to dublin, then back home to america.

so yes, i've been to ireland.

back to downton abbey and the folks who were able to live that way on the money they made from enslaving other nations.

oops. that one slipped out.

i'm hoping that the tom branson/sybil relationship will mention some of the goings on in ireland in '22 in future episodes of downton abbey.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #54
Head Chef

Message received, BT.

I gave up the Globes last night to watch DA. But the Globes will, I hope, be another thread.

Nice, juicy episode wasn't it? I was pleased to have watched the full hour last evening of the program on the current owners of Highclere Castle, including that other shoe about the family name Carnarvan. So great-grandfather was the man who with Howard Carter opened the tomb of Tutankhamen in the 20's. Too bad that couldn't have been worked into the DA story line. The current owners have had replicas made of some of the tomb's wonders -- the pieces are in the 'basement' and are visited by tourists. The butler serving the family now shares his time besides butlering by selling tickets for the tours that are helping the Earl keep the castle maintained, said to run about $1 million a year what with constant repairs. He said the money they get for the DA filming is really a help, as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

i saw that, "the secrets of highclere castle". it was very interesting.

a large part of why people really like da is that it's not only really well written, but a combination of soap opera and comedy sprinkled witb historical references.

as such, there's how matthew came into his recently inherited fortune after the disappearance of the other heir to lavinia swire's father's fortune at one of his tea plantations in india.

there's the reference to the east india company - company rule / british raj, as well as leaving a loose thread about the other heir's whereabouts. again, very well played.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #56
Head Chef

I do hope the present Earl of Carnavan gets a nose-hair trimmer for Christmas next.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Master Chef

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #58
Master Chef

I love all the one liners......

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #59
Head Chef

I thought Lady Mary looked awfully nice at the Golden Globes -- but so thin!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #60
Head Chef

Buckytom that was a fascinating read! You put me to shame for not getting my arse over there yet !!