"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Unhappy The Dreaded "F" Word

If you thought flu, you're right, if you were thinking something else, shame on you! TC has been sick since last Monday, we took him to the doctor last Tues. & he had strep. Well, Sunday night he almost passed out during the childrens musical at church. He got up yesterday morning running a 103.5 temp, complaining of his throat & stomach hurting. I was pretty sure that since he was still on his antibiotic that he hadn't had a relapse of strep. Anyway, I took him to the doctor yesterday & he has the flu. I haven't seen him this miserable since he was less than a year old & had ear infections 2 or 3 times a month. The doc put him on Tamiflu & also started Savannah on it as a preventative. Now, TC is a child who eats very well & he hasen't really eaten anything since last Sunday, but he is drinking a lot. Savannah just sits & looks at him with this really sad look on her face because he doesn't feel like doing anything. She also asks him every time he coughs or sneezes if he's OK.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
antibiotics can also upset the stomach significantly too :(
tell him Get Well Soon from the UK :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks YT, I'll tell him! He has started throwing up now & the doc wanted me to call if he did, so it's off to call them & then wait around forever for someone to call me back.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Hope he feels better soon. The tamiflu really does work well. Also you may want to get the flu shot yourself. On the bright side better now then on Christmas morning!!! Hope everyone is up and about before the holidays.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I thought Frozen-dinner was the 'F' word. :P
Hahahaha... I saw that on a commercial.

There's a flu going around at my school too. People are coughing and sneezing all over the place.

I hope he gets better soon.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks!

That's what I keep telling myself Reanie, plus he's not having to miss any school since the his last day was Friday. Hubby & I both have had our flu shots, we decided for some unknown reason to get them a couple of weeks ago. We'd never had it before, but since I'm around a lot of kids at work, it seemed like a good idea.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
He's lucky. I'm still at school until this Friday... well...some people are. I'm stopping after Wednesday.

My brother got the flu shot and he really reacted badly to it. He was throwing up all night, and in the morning he could barely move or talk. His eyes were all red, and his under-eyes were all black.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Poor, poor TC!! I hope he will recover soon, but to get better he must eat!! I hope there is nothing serious with his tummy... YT is right, antibiotics, or even aspirin can mess up the condition of the stomach. Try to feed him lots of smoothies made with fresh fruit, good quality ice cream and something like drinking yogurt to nourish him, but I really hope he will be able to consume something solid, if only little by little... that will do him good to regain strength. I was suffering the second influenza of the season last week too, looks like it is bad everywhere.
For those who are still safe, keep warm, eat well and take plenty of vitaminC, and cross your fingers!
Once again best wishes and hugs to TC, get well soon!!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

I hope TC feels better soon and that the rest of you stay healthy! Hopefully TC gets some appetite back soon. Saltines and ginger ale were always my bland foods of choice when I was sick as a kid!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks y'all!

Urmaniac, I'll keep the smoothies & yogurt in mind when he feels up to someting with more substance to it. Normally when anyone in our house starts taking antibiotics, I keep the fridge stocked with yogurt, to help replinish the good bacteria in the body that the meds kill. All he wants to drink is ginger ale so I'm keeping him well supplied with that.

I'm still waitng on the nurse to call me back, I hate waiting & feeling helpless!!