The end of my vegetable garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
We had a couple of cold nights a couple weeks ago and yes Im one of those people that likes to keep her babies going, so I covered them with sheets :LOL:

As of tonight, I think my tomatoes and peppers have had enough, so I harvested what I think may be the last of them :( I've got plenty of sauce from my tomatoes in the freezer though. How I hate the end of vegetable season.

Also had to bring in my house plants because it's going to be between 30-40 degrees tonight. I must say it does look nice to have my houseplants back inside.

Anyone else mourning the end of veggie season?

We're just about done too. Just hoping for a few more warm days to get the last of the peppers to ripe.

Last night we had temps in the low 40's here in VA, so I'll be potting up some herbs & a few other plants to bring indoors soon.

Me, too. I cleared most of my small garden last weekend. I'm so sad. I really loved going outside and picking a basket full of roma tomtoes. I still have some green and banana peppers, plus my herbs are hanging in there. I'll bring what I can inside. My rosemary is awesome and the pot isn't too big for me to carry, so it definitely will come indoors when I think it's time.

I planted my tomato plants from seeds I started inside and I'm proud of that accomplishment. It was fun and got my gardening juices going and moderately satisfied until I was able to get outside and do "real" gardening. Oh, well. We'll be working in the garden before we know it. Time seems to go faster every day.

BreezyCooking said:
Last night we had temps in the low 40's here in VA, so I'll be potting up some herbs & a few other plants to bring indoors soon.

Breezy, if you have any rosemary going it will probably be fine outside. I've had a patch going outside the front door (southeast exposure) that's been going great guns since I planted two little weenie plants a few years ago.

I would like a year-round vegtable garden, not with all the snow I get.

Sorry about your vegetable garden. Here is Southern California there is usually not a problem except when the temperature reaches in the low 30's and there have been times when people have snow on their lawns.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

I haven't planted any Rosemary yet - I'm waiting until we've laid down the plans, etc., for my permanent herb garden. Many varieties of Rosemary are a lot hardier than people realize. I had one back in NY, planted in the ground, that grew to a 4-1/2-foot bush up against the house, with a southern exposure.

In fact, when I was doing herbal landscaping back then, I frequently recommended Rosemary for an in-ground or in-tub shrub.

In a way I'm actually looking forward a bit to fall, as my husband bought me a lovely little cold-frame that I'm dying to try for what I hope will be a full winter's worth of salad greens.

We haven't had any frost yet, but my garden hasn't done any good this year. We got a few tomatoes, but the peppers turned out little bitty. I can't get out there anymore, and it shows.
My husband is retiring in February, and although he's not interested in yardwork, he says he will raise a small vegetable garden. I sure hope so.

Constance said:
We haven't had any frost yet, but my garden hasn't done any good this year. We got a few tomatoes, but the peppers turned out little bitty. I can't get out there anymore, and it shows.
My husband is retiring in February, and although he's not interested in yardwork, he says he will raise a small vegetable garden. I sure hope so.

My peppers didnt get too big this year either. Have you ever tried container gardening? I've grown lettuce, carrotts, tomatoes, etc in containers with great success.

Thats great that your husband will try his hand at vegetable gardening. Who knows, maybe he will like it :)

Loprraine said:
I'm holding off pulling everything up for a few weeks yet, nights are cool, but daytime temp is still fairly warm.

Definately hold off as long as possible! Days are warm here too, but the nights are getting quite cool for my hot season veggies, frost tonight so we'll see what the plants look like tomorrow :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom