"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef

The end of my vegetable garden

We had a couple of cold nights a couple weeks ago and yes Im one of those people that likes to keep her babies going, so I covered them with sheets

As of tonight, I think my tomatoes and peppers have had enough, so I harvested what I think may be the last of them I've got plenty of sauce from my tomatoes in the freezer though. How I hate the end of vegetable season.

Also had to bring in my house plants because it's going to be between 30-40 degrees tonight. I must say it does look nice to have my houseplants back inside.

Anyone else mourning the end of veggie season?

Old 09-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
We're enough farther south that we're still going strong!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We're just about done too. Just hoping for a few more warm days to get the last of the peppers to ripe.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

Last night we had temps in the low 40's here in VA, so I'll be potting up some herbs & a few other plants to bring indoors soon.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Me, too. I cleared most of my small garden last weekend. I'm so sad. I really loved going outside and picking a basket full of roma tomtoes. I still have some green and banana peppers, plus my herbs are hanging in there. I'll bring what I can inside. My rosemary is awesome and the pot isn't too big for me to carry, so it definitely will come indoors when I think it's time.

I planted my tomato plants from seeds I started inside and I'm proud of that accomplishment. It was fun and got my gardening juices going and moderately satisfied until I was able to get outside and do "real" gardening. Oh, well. We'll be working in the garden before we know it. Time seems to go faster every day.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Last night we had temps in the low 40's here in VA, so I'll be potting up some herbs & a few other plants to bring indoors soon.
Breezy, if you have any rosemary going it will probably be fine outside. I've had a patch going outside the front door (southeast exposure) that's been going great guns since I planted two little weenie plants a few years ago.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I would like a year-round vegtable garden, not with all the snow I get.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

Smile

Sorry about your vegetable garden. Here is Southern California there is usually not a problem except when the temperature reaches in the low 30's and there have been times when people have snow on their lawns.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

I haven't planted any Rosemary yet - I'm waiting until we've laid down the plans, etc., for my permanent herb garden. Many varieties of Rosemary are a lot hardier than people realize. I had one back in NY, planted in the ground, that grew to a 4-1/2-foot bush up against the house, with a southern exposure.

In fact, when I was doing herbal landscaping back then, I frequently recommended Rosemary for an in-ground or in-tub shrub.

In a way I'm actually looking forward a bit to fall, as my husband bought me a lovely little cold-frame that I'm dying to try for what I hope will be a full winter's worth of salad greens.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm holding off pulling everything up for a few weeks yet, nights are cool, but daytime temp is still fairly warm.