The Family Jewels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Sorry folks. This is clean!

Son #1 is a contractor by trade. He has his own business. If he had to, he could build a house all by himself. That is his first love. But his two brothers-in-laws are both jewelers. As a result he has learned a second trade on the side during the past 30 years. When folks turn in the jewelry to sell, he removes the stones, cleans the jewelry, and does a lot of odd jobs around the store. He is also their computer whiz. Takes care of the cameras and other security computer stuff. Over the years he has become quite proficient and knowledgeable in the jewelry business. The only thing is he is not licensed as a purveyor of gold and other precious metals and stones. A requirement of the Federal Government. And he has no desire to get a license either.

I wish you could see him in his regular work clothes. Dirty old painters overalls, and a pocketful of $$$$ of gold and jewels. He takes them in town to the jewelers building for repairs. Long hair, scruffy beard, and the last person you would expect to see walk into that building. He stuffs everything in a brown paper bag and stuffs it way down into one of his pockets.

I have an aquamarine ring (or I did have) that I have always hated. I love the stone itself, but would rather have a sapphire. This ring is almost impossible to clean. The main stone sits in a solid basket and even with steam cleaning it is hard for the jeweler to get clean. There are two aquamarine stones on the sides. I gave him the ring to clean (AGAIN). It is impossible to keep it clean. Somewhere between here and there, he lost the ring. No big loss to me. So the next time someone brings in a white gold, size seven ring to sell, he will hunt through their cache of sapphires and replace the stone that is in the ring. If there are any side stones, that will be a bonus. I get a ring that I will love and who knows. Maybe the aquamarine one will show up yet. If it does, I will sell the ring for the gold. They can keep the stones.

Aquamarines are more expensive than sapphires or emeralds. They belong to the emerald family. They can be soft and crack or chip easily. I have had more problems with this ring. Whoever finds it, good luck to them. I already have an aquamarine ring that I love. And it is so easy to clean. It is my birthstone. :yum:

I love diamonds DH gave me diamond earrings for our anniversary in Jan. Only trouble is finding places to wear them:LOL: He has a fit when I break them out for Sonic Drive Inn:ROFLMAO:Addie hope you get your sapphires. My mother adored them.
kades

We have as a family dealt in antiques.Cleaning is the biggest problem. Clic on Pics.
bergere chair 140.jpg

bergere chair 141.jpg

Addie: You should write a book !

Thank you so much for such an interesting " short story ". You certainly have a penchant for writing wonderful stories ... Being a journalist, I recognise talent ... I highly suggest that u document all your interesting family novelettes and write a book !

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

*** As far as gems, precious and semi go, my younger daughter Nathalia is a Gemologist and works for a well know multi national in Zürich.

My informal amulet, stone and metal preferred is: Turquoise non polished in the rough with 925 Silver ...

For more formal events requiring elegance, I prefer rubies with white gold 18k or an emerald ...

I enjoy gems in the raw, for example: watermelon tourmaline, jasper, agate, amethyst, black tourmaline, lapis and malachite and my favourite is Mother of Pearl with silver ...

Have great holiday and take care.
Wonderful post.
Margi.

I'm partial to amethysts and diamonds. I particularly like estate jewelry...

There is a jewelry store in downtown Boston that features estate jewelry in their window. I was looking and doing some wishful shopping, a couple of young girls next to me, "oh how ugly" came out of one mouth. Little did they know that in a few years they would understand and appreciate it. And they would be doing their own wishful shopping.

My son told me the other day, my favorite cut of diamond, the Marquis, is definitely out of favor. He took several of them out of the showcase and removed the stones and they sold the gold. The gold brought more than the stones. Too bad. I think it is such a graceful and elegant cut. I remember when the Tiffany solataire with a plain gold band was all the rage. I told my son I wanted an emerald cut saphire with at least .25 ctw diamond on the sides in white gold. I like simplicity. I have a small saphire in silver with diamond chips on the side. You would need the Hubble telescope to see them. :)

I love diamonds DH gave me diamond earrings for our anniversary in Jan. Only trouble is finding places to wear them:LOL: He has a fit when I break them out for Sonic Drive Inn:ROFLMAO:Addie hope you get your sapphires. My mother adored them.
kades

Wear them while doing the dishes. Or cleaning the toilet bowl. Two jobs where you need to feel elegant and rich. :)

I received all my MIL's silver flatware and tea sets when she died and I have to get busy cleaning them.

I'm looking at some of those chests that keep your silver from tarnishing. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I'm looking at some of those chests that keep your silver from tarnishing. Does anyone have any experience with those?

They work and also a tupperware type plastic box along with tarnish resistant silverware wraps work well. If you google 'tarnish resistant silverware wraps' you will find many suppliers. You can also find bags to hold the larger pieces. The more you use them the less they will tarnish, having said that all of my silver is in a chest under the couch! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

They work and also a tupperware type plastic box along with tarnish resistant silverware wraps work well. If you google 'tarnish resistant silverware wraps' you will find many suppliers. You can also find bags to hold the larger pieces. The more you use them the less they will tarnish, having said that all of my silver is in a chest under the couch! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for the info. I will be googling.

I know that it doesn't tarnish as much if you use it. We do use it, but there are only two of us. Not much of it gets used regularly. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom