The Food List Challenge - How Many Have You Tried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was about what foods you have tried, not tried and liked. That's how I did it. I tried an oyster once and never again. TB eats them when I am not around because I can't even stand the smell!

I've had 87. Some of the things I wasn't familiar with - for instance Pavlova or a Bellini. Nor do I consider them on my list of "foods to eat before you die".

Other things I've tried would be good additions to the list: horse meat, chocolate covered ants, or bear.

I thought it was about what foods you have tried, not tried and liked. That's how I did it. I tried an oyster once and never again. TB eats them when I am not around because I can't even stand the smell!

It is. At least, I thought so :) I don't like oysters, either, but I have tried them.

Is that what they said the average was? I didn't click on anything else after it wanted to take me to a Facebook page.

Just so people know, after you check the boxes for the foods you've tried and click to see your total, it shows you your total on the second page, but you don't have to click again to post on Facebook.

My count is 88. I must admit that a few items on the list were my attempts, such as phaal, dandelion wine, paneer, and pho, among others. The only absinthe I have had is the Americanized version.
There is nothing on the list that I wouldn't try given the opportunity.

I went over the list again and realized that I have had Umeboshi (pickled plumb) and recently its Korean counterpart (don't know what it's called)

I've also had braised rabbit many times -- that's sorta rabbit stew.

So I've had 94.

But, like LP, I tried some just to see what they tasted like (cricket, snake, chitins) but would probably not eat again. I actually sort of like durian.

I answered it as foods I have tried, not liked. I've had chicken and I've had waffles, but never together, so I didn't count it.

73 for me. I had thought my total would be higher. Just goes to show how much more there is to be explored!

I've had 87. Some of the things I wasn't familiar with - for instance Pavlova or a Bellini. Nor do I consider them on my list of "foods to eat before you die".

Other things I've tried would be good additions to the list: horse meat, chocolate covered ants, or bear.
Steve, have you ever had meringue, the little cookies? do you like fresh fruit and whipped cream. Those are basically the elements of Pavlov. One of the most heavenly desserts ever.

i counted sixty-some items on the list that i have had or tried at some time in my life. i would be interested to know how these one hundred items were selected for this exercise.

I counted the things I have tried, not just ones I like. I never tried a Root Beer Float or a Moonpie because they never looked good enough to me to try them. Why have a Root Beer Float when I could have a milkshake?

I have had raw oysters, but by mistake. It was disgusting, but I counted it because I actually tried it, gagging all the way!

I have had rabbit, fried, but not rabbit stew so I didn't count the rabbit stew. Like PF, I have had chicken and I have had waffles, but not together, so they didn't get counted. I have had a lot of things that weren't on the list.

If I knew what a lot of the things were and someone would prepare them for me, I would be more than willing to try them.

I thought I'd do better than I did too, especially with all the Mexican foods, but as PF said, I've had chicken and I've had waffles, but not together, so I didn't count it. And kangaroo and snake meat are pretty scarce around these parts.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought "chicken and waffles" was a bit weird! In that case I am up to 43! (Still pretty poor though).

Glad I'm not the only one who thought "chicken and waffles" was a bit weird! In that case I am up to 43! (Still pretty poor though).

What? No! It's chicken and waffles! Not chicken. And waffles. ;) They have to be in the same dish.

No, I don't know where the list came from, or who came up with chicken and waffles in the first place. I'd lived here in the South for quite a few years before I ever heard of it, so I don't think it was invented here in SE VA, but it is an accepted dish. <Please read this all tongue in cheek. Please also let me know if that needs translating. lol>

What? No! It's chicken and waffles! Not chicken. And waffles. ;) They have to be in the same dish.

No, I don't know where the list came from, or who came up with chicken and waffles in the first place. I'd lived here in the South for quite a few years before I ever heard of it, so I don't think it was invented here in SE VA, but it is an accepted dish. <Please read this all tongue in cheek. Please also let me know if that needs translating. lol>

Speaking if tongues, I noticed Cod Tongues with Scrunchions was missing from the list. That would have put me up to 56.

Back
Top Bottom