"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #31
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I've had 87. Some of the things I wasn't familiar with - for instance Pavlova or a Bellini. Nor do I consider them on my list of "foods to eat before you die".

Other things I've tried would be good additions to the list: horse meat, chocolate covered ants, or bear.
Steve, have you ever had meringue, the little cookies? do you like fresh fruit and whipped cream. Those are basically the elements of Pavlov. One of the most heavenly desserts ever.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
Sous Chef

55 for me. Quite a few I didn't have the foggiest what they were.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #33
Executive Chef

i counted sixty-some items on the list that i have had or tried at some time in my life. i would be interested to know how these one hundred items were selected for this exercise.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I counted the things I have tried, not just ones I like. I never tried a Root Beer Float or a Moonpie because they never looked good enough to me to try them. Why have a Root Beer Float when I could have a milkshake?

I have had raw oysters, but by mistake. It was disgusting, but I counted it because I actually tried it, gagging all the way!

I have had rabbit, fried, but not rabbit stew so I didn't count the rabbit stew. Like PF, I have had chicken and I have had waffles, but not together, so they didn't get counted. I have had a lot of things that weren't on the list.

If I knew what a lot of the things were and someone would prepare them for me, I would be more than willing to try them.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
Head Chef

I managed a mere 41. I feel ashamed.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I thought I'd do better than I did too, especially with all the Mexican foods, but as PF said, I've had chicken and I've had waffles, but not together, so I didn't count it. And kangaroo and snake meat are pretty scarce around these parts.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #37
Head Chef

Glad I'm not the only one who thought "chicken and waffles" was a bit weird! In that case I am up to 43! (Still pretty poor though).
Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thought "chicken and waffles" was a bit weird! In that case I am up to 43! (Still pretty poor though).
What? No! It's chicken and waffles! Not chicken. And waffles. They have to be in the same dish.

No, I don't know where the list came from, or who came up with chicken and waffles in the first place. I'd lived here in the South for quite a few years before I ever heard of it, so I don't think it was invented here in SE VA, but it is an accepted dish. <Please read this all tongue in cheek. Please also let me know if that needs translating. lol>
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

What? No! It's chicken and waffles! Not chicken. And waffles. They have to be in the same dish.

No, I don't know where the list came from, or who came up with chicken and waffles in the first place. I'd lived here in the South for quite a few years before I ever heard of it, so I don't think it was invented here in SE VA, but it is an accepted dish. <Please read this all tongue in cheek. Please also let me know if that needs translating. lol>
Speaking if tongues, I noticed Cod Tongues with Scrunchions was missing from the list. That would have put me up to 56.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I've heard of chicken and waffles but never ate it. I thought it was like creamed chicken over a waffle, but I googled it and it's just fried chicken with a waffle. But they were on the same plate...I've never had them on the same plate.

Here's a recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ipe/index.html