"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Pro tip for teenagers. If you go to the local store to pick up a pack of smokes "for your dad" make sure you ask for the brand he smokes, not a different kind. Otherwise the old shop owner will refuse you and say get out of here. Growing up I smoked non filter Pall Mall Straights, just so I could save a dime and not use the machine at the gas station for filtered cigarettes.

--

Day 4. So far I have burned each hand in the oven or on a hot pan and cut my R index finger almost needed stitches. And I located a 9 x 13 pan sitting on a chair in the back hallway rather than in the sink so it could get washed. And here I think I've been Paying Attention. Now, after 3 days, aren't we supposed to have something magic happen, like all the stored nicotine has been expelled from your body or something?

I am pretty sure I have a minor case of the itchies and twitchies and feel a little intolerant and impatient with just about Everything.

I ran out of milk, but I think it is far too dangerous to leave the house. I have to dibble my toes back in society next Wednesday, but I'm not going to stress about that today.
The nicotine is gone, what is left over is the physical behaviors you are fighting, that something to do with your hands. This is the part that is tough, crossword puzzles help, playing solitaire on the computer. Your brain is concentrating on what it thinks it has forgotten (that's why you found a pan on a chair)...because it knows something is missing. Your logical brain knows what it is, but your illogical brain is going "WTF?"

Tell people, I'm sorry if I snarl, but I quit smoking. Thanks for tolerating my behavior. Then refuse to discuss methods, etc. Because it keeps it in the forefront of your mind. Tell folks it's too distressing and they are not helping by continuing to mention it.

You are doing great!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #92
Master Chef

What extraordinary advice PF!

You rock Whiska!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

You rock Whiska!
+1!!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

You rock Whiska!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1!!
Thank you, Ladies! I like to think I learned something from my experience and am happy to share it.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #95
Executive Chef

"...Tell people, I'm sorry if I snarl, but I quit smoking. Thanks for tolerating my behavior. Then refuse to discuss methods, etc. Because it keeps it in the forefront of your mind. Tell folks it's too distressing and they are not helping by continuing to mention it."

I think this is good advice. Cross word puzzles are good for short bursts of concentration too. I know I have been doing a lot of avoidance stuff, although with best intentions about not smoking. I talk w/ DxW one-two times day on the phone so I am in touch w the outside world. I asked her to not come over. I am bloated on snacks, I guess that's ok too for now.
I probably won't mention to anyone I'm not smoking unless someone else brings up the subject or is necessary to announce this in advance or if I am in a situation where smoking is present, then I will have to leave the room or go do something else for a little while. It's like when many years ago it was a wise idea among other things to stay out of bars. But heck, I wouldn't want to miss out on all the other great stuff they serve in cheap plastic baskets like great hamburgers and chicken wings and wide screen sports TV's. The rest of the atmosphere doesn't bother me. Right Now, I don't think I trust myself and am on a Very Short Leash.

I willfully didn't look at this thread yesterday just so I wouldn't dwell on the subject.

The reason I even Found that baking dish in the back hallway is I was intent on going through all my coats and jackets hanging there in case there was a partial pack in one of the pockets. I still haven't completed that little scavenger hunt yet, although I'm pretty certain I already checked early in the week to make sure there weren't any cigarettes anywhere in the house. So why bother. Ash trays are washed and sitting in the dish drainer.

Oh, and my eyeglasses are clean and clear all day. Here I thought I sweated and my eyes teared up and make them always seem foggy. Nada mas.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Thanks for your support ladies. I / we all need all the help we can get. I know this thread started with R_J moving to e-cigs. He did invite others to join in. I think he and Mrs R_J are off to a warmer climate again. I hope this is still working out for them.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #97
Master Chef

I really enjoy reading your reports Whiska, you're one charming fella.

I remember trying to quit years ago when it seemed everyone smoked and you were the odd one out walking around in a cloud of smoke. Ykies, that was tough.

Now the smoker is the odd one out and socially it's just not acceptable anywhere anymore. I got so sick of people looking at me like I didn't have a brain in my head. I still resent people with a "holier than thou" attitude for any reason and I think the rebel in me kept me smoking longer. You're doing what's best for you and no one else.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #98
Proud American

I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Pro tip for teenagers. If you go to the local store to pick up a pack of smokes "for your dad" make sure you ask for the brand he smokes, not a different kind. Otherwise the old shop owner will refuse you and say get out of here. Growing up I smoked non filter Pall Mall Straights, just so I could save a dime and not use the machine at the gas station for filtered cigarettes.

--

Day 4. So far I have burned each hand in the oven or on a hot pan and cut my R index finger almost needed stitches. And I located a 9 x 13 pan sitting on a chair in the back hallway rather than in the sink so it could get washed. And here I think I've been Paying Attention. Now, after 3 days, aren't we supposed to have something magic happen, like all the stored nicotine has been expelled from your body or something?

I am pretty sure I have a minor case of the itchies and twitchies and feel a little intolerant and impatient with just about Everything.

I ran out of milk, but I think it is far too dangerous to leave the house. I have to dibble my toes back in society next Wednesday, but I'm not going to stress about that today.
This what I have been talking about. There is no reason to struggle like this. But I guess we must all find our own way. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat
Disrespectful? Not sure I get it?

I do understand sometimes its just best to keep quite. Probably like I should right now. But I am curious as to why telling him would be disrespectful?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #100
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Because in ~Cat's (and her Father's) culture it is disrespectful to tell your parents to do anything.