"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #101
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat
Don't tell Papa, form it as a request, a wish. "Papa, I wish you would quit smoking cigarettes, it makes me very sad to think of the damage it does to your health. I fear the time when I will not have you with me in this world any longer."

Try that ~Cat!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

This what I have been talking about. There is no reason to struggle like this. But I guess we must all find our own way. Good luck!
This is what Princess Fiona meant about you being lucky to have been able to quit pretty easily. It's not so easy for everyone and it's not their fault. Tobacco is an addictive drug, and as we all know, different drugs affect people differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Disrespectful? Not sure I get it?

I do understand sometimes its just best to keep quite. Probably like I should right now. But I am curious as to why telling him would be disrespectful?
Cultural differences. In some families, children don't correct their parents.

This is supposed to be a supportive thread for people trying to quit smoking. I think your comments are insensitive.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #103
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is what Princess Fiona meant about you being lucky to have been able to quit pretty easily. It's not so easy for everyone and it's not their fault. Tobacco is an addictive drug, and as we all know, different drugs affect people differently.

Cultural differences. In some families, children don't correct their parents.

This is supposed to be a supportive thread for people trying to quit smoking. I think your comments are insensitive.
I'm so sorry to be insensitive! I didn't mean for to be this! I do apologize!

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #104
Master Chef

Quote:

With love,
~Cat
Sweet Cat, I doubt you have ever been insensitive in your life! GG was not directing her comment to you.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

With love,
~Cat
Kayelle is absolutely right! My comment was not directed at you. If I'm talking to you, I will quote you. Deal?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #106
Proud American

Oh! I see. I think I read wrongly sometimes. Thank you both!

Princess Fiona is correct. In our family, we don't tell our parents what to do, and we must be very respectful of them, for they deserve our respect.

When Mamma and Papa were here, I did have to tell Papa not to smoke in my Joy. I bought him those electric cigarettes to smoke in our home and in Joy. The brand name was Blu. He liked these very much and he respected my wishes, so this is where I don't tell him he can't smoke, but gave him an alternative.

Does this make any sense?

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #107
Master Chef

Makes perfect sense Cat. If only this culture was as respectful of their parents.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Makes perfect sense Cat. If only this culture was as respectful of their parents.
I think it's also generational, I still show respect to my parents, I am a 60's baby.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #109
Proud American

I remember Mamma being so very respectful to her parents when they were alive. So was Papa. My two cousins aren't respectful, and I don't like them. I hate to say this but they are a disgrace and I want to poke them.

But I am off the topic. I'll also respect all of you, and pray that those of you who wish to quit smoking will succeed very nicely, and that this will be perhaps an easier transition as it goes, yes?

Papa has tried to quit before, and he failed. He said it was too hard, and I felt so badly for him. He knows I sneeze very much when someone smokes close to me, and so he stopped smoking in my suite at home when I was about 6 or 7. But it's on the 3rd floor and the smoke comes up the stairs but I say nothing of this. Papa sawed a hole in my door and put in a dog door so that all our dogs and cats could go in and out, and I didn't ask for that. He just knows these things for he is my Papa.

With love,
~Cat
Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #110
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Thanks to Macgyver1968's thread, and to pacanis' suggestion to quit smoking, I have taken a personal pledge, along with my wife to quit smoking. Tomorrow we are picking up a couple of "Ecigs". We have a lot of help from former smokers here at DC to help us along. Anyone else on board??....we can help one another.
By the way....today is weedless Wednesday here in Canada. What better day to start than that.
How are you guys doing? Are you still smoke free?