The Great DC Smoke Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome! And it sounds like Addie is doing great with her Chantix too.

Good luck! I started my quitting with the aid of champix but had to stop the course as was getting a wee bit doolally! Ecigs seem to really work for some. A lot of places are beginning to ban them now though- in Ireland anyway. The place I work has posted a petition to our customers to see what their preference is, ban or allow? Personally, they cause me no offence at all. The only reason I'm denying myself the comfort of one is pure stubbornness- having done totally without my old friend Nick O' Teen for the past 12 weeks, I don't want to rely on him again!

I was/am able to take the Chantix, Shrek was not. He became very mean and nasty. Even his doctor noticed it and I wouldn't say anything about it until we were in front of the doc. He has the Blu ecig, but he's not really trying.

I found the champix great in terms of not craving cigs but I think volatile would be the word to describe me while taking them! It is a long arduous journey, your shrek will only really try when he feels he wants to. I'm cold turkey now and crave so badly. Eating like mad and getting fat instead! :)

Just had toasted muffins, real butter, with some lovely mature cheddar! Heart attack instead of lung cancer! ;-)

Oh crap! Sorry. Didn't mean to be insensitive. Inappropriate Irish humour! :)

No problem, and not insensitive. I've already had the cancers, too and am currently working on my stroke cookbook...:LOL: I plan on having everything before I die.:mrgreen: I forgot my smiley face!!

Well, week one comes to an end and week two starts. The ecigs are the answer for us. Both Mrs D and myself have had maybe 5 regular cigs this week. We have tried all kinds of Health Canada sanctioned quitting methods. Champex, the patch, the gum, and laser treatment. Nothing worked. I think this is the one....I hope. Week two begins tomorrow.
I hope all you other quitters are just as successful. :)

I was so glad to read your report RD, and happy you and your wife are doing well. You'll find the next phase even better when you both have your last cigarette you ever smoke. You know now, as I do, that as long as we can have our nicotine fix with ecigs, we won't melt without tobacco and the multitude of hazards it contains. Honestly, I never thought I would ever feel as well as I do now. I'm in your corner!

Last edited:
Well, week one comes to an end and week two starts. The ecigs are the answer for us. Both Mrs D and myself have had maybe 5 regular cigs this week. We have tried all kinds of Health Canada sanctioned quitting methods. Champex, the patch, the gum, and laser treatment. Nothing worked. I think this is the one....I hope. Week two begins tomorrow.
I hope all you other quitters are just as successful. :)

Yay!!! You are doing great! Both of you keep it up and soon, you will be cigarette free. Next you will be choosing the stairs all the time:)

Both my sister and a good girlfriend are still analog-free after a couple years of e-cigs. Chantix kinda skeezes me out, Dr. keeps offering a prescription, but I've heard too many stories. Glad it works for those it works for!

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys. Over the past week I have come back to this thread a few times and re-read all the posts. It has been extremely helpful. :)

Day 1 week 1 for me. Cold turkey.

I've tried just about everything that is possible to quit smoking. I didn't care for the flavor / taste of the ecigs I bought. Acupuncture worked for awhile ( 6 months), when I wore the patch, I smoked anyway, apparently people get excited when this is said, Sooooooooo... I'm just going to not smoke. Period.

One day. At. a. time.

Day 1 week 1 for me. Cold turkey.

I've tried just about everything that is possible to quit smoking. I didn't care for the flavor / taste of the ecigs I bought. Acupuncture worked for awhile ( 6 months), when I wore the patch, I smoked anyway, apparently people get excited when this is said, Sooooooooo... I'm just going to not smoke. Period.

One day. At. a. time.

That's great news Whiska. Like you said....one day at a time. I tryed the patch as well. All it did was make me sick.:sick:

I smoked for 40 plus years. At least one pack a day or more.
My wife was also a smoker when I met her. She quit cold turkey, but I continued to smoke. I will never know how hard I made it for her. I could only imagine quiting while she was still smoking.

I heard about Chantix from my doctor when it first came out and he told me to wait. That he was not sure it was safe.
A couple years later I told him I wanted to quit and had already promised my wife I would quit. So I had to quit. (I really did not want to), but I did promise.

I got a free months supply of Chantix (complete therapy) from my doctor with instructions.
I went home and took the first dose.
We went on vacation the following week, so I stopped the Chantix and continued to smoke.
When we got back, I started back on the Chantix. I had several packs of cigarettes left that i was going to smoke regardless of the Chantix.

Well guess what? I had a very hard time smoking that last pack of cigarettes and I actually threw away the few that remained.
I am now a non smoker with zero urges and no memory of smoking. Chantix changed me. It did not provide me with any nicotine. It is as if I had never smoked in my life.

While I applaud those trying to quit with ecigs and patches, I also feel very sorry for you. You will always want to smoke no matter how long you have quit.
IMO the only way i could quit and STAY quit was to remove cigarettes from my memory and my history. Anyone can quit. Its staying quit thats hard.
Replacing nicotine to me is just prolonging the inevitable.

Last edited:
Great testimonial, RB. I'm nervous about Chantix because of the mood swings reported. I'm pretty even temperamented and easy-going, don't want to turn into a raging she-bat. Your experience is very reassuring.

Whiska, RJD, you guys rock!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom