The Great DC Smoke Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat

Don't tell Papa, form it as a request, a wish. "Papa, I wish you would quit smoking cigarettes, it makes me very sad to think of the damage it does to your health. I fear the time when I will not have you with me in this world any longer."

Try that ~Cat!

This what I have been talking about. There is no reason to struggle like this. But I guess we must all find our own way. Good luck!

This is what Princess Fiona meant about you being lucky to have been able to quit pretty easily. It's not so easy for everyone and it's not their fault. Tobacco is an addictive drug, and as we all know, different drugs affect people differently.

Disrespectful? Not sure I get it?

I do understand sometimes its just best to keep quite. Probably like I should right now. But I am curious as to why telling him would be disrespectful?

Cultural differences. In some families, children don't correct their parents.

This is supposed to be a supportive thread for people trying to quit smoking. I think your comments are insensitive.

This is what Princess Fiona meant about you being lucky to have been able to quit pretty easily. It's not so easy for everyone and it's not their fault. Tobacco is an addictive drug, and as we all know, different drugs affect people differently.

Cultural differences. In some families, children don't correct their parents.

This is supposed to be a supportive thread for people trying to quit smoking. I think your comments are insensitive.

I'm so sorry to be insensitive! I didn't mean for to be this! I do apologize!

With love,
~Cat

Oh! I see. I think I read wrongly sometimes. Thank you both!

Princess Fiona is correct. In our family, we don't tell our parents what to do, and we must be very respectful of them, for they deserve our respect.

When Mamma and Papa were here, I did have to tell Papa not to smoke in my Joy. I bought him those electric cigarettes to smoke in our home and in Joy. The brand name was Blu. He liked these very much and he respected my wishes, so this is where I don't tell him he can't smoke, but gave him an alternative.

Does this make any sense?

With love,
~Cat

I remember Mamma being so very respectful to her parents when they were alive. So was Papa. My two cousins aren't respectful, and I don't like them. I hate to say this but they are a disgrace and I want to poke them.

But I am off the topic. I'll also respect all of you, and pray that those of you who wish to quit smoking will succeed very nicely, and that this will be perhaps an easier transition as it goes, yes?

Papa has tried to quit before, and he failed. He said it was too hard, and I felt so badly for him. He knows I sneeze very much when someone smokes close to me, and so he stopped smoking in my suite at home when I was about 6 or 7. But it's on the 3rd floor and the smoke comes up the stairs but I say nothing of this. Papa sawed a hole in my door and put in a dog door so that all our dogs and cats could go in and out, and I didn't ask for that. He just knows these things for he is my Papa.

With love,
~Cat

Thanks to Macgyver1968's thread, and to pacanis' suggestion to quit smoking, I have taken a personal pledge, along with my wife to quit smoking. Tomorrow we are picking up a couple of "Ecigs". We have a lot of help from former smokers here at DC to help us along. Anyone else on board??....we can help one another.:)
By the way....today is weedless Wednesday here in Canada. What better day to start than that.

How are you guys doing? Are you still smoke free?

I quit last year mid April - mid October. A good 6 months.

Sadly, I barely made it two weeks this time. Despite all the positive things you all said to give me courage, I am smoking again. And I do want to quit.

Just keep at it. I must have quit a thousand times before it took. You are stronger than a cigarette, you just have to keep telling yourself that!

Sadly, I barely made it two weeks this time. Despite all the positive things you all said to give me courage, I am smoking again. And I do want to quit.

I too quit so many times I could not count. I always failed it seemed even though I was able to stop for 5 years one time.

This time was the charm though. There might be a way for you to quit for good. Take a peek back at the thread and see what worked for me.
Its going to be 5 years again come July.
There is one very remarkable difference this time. I have no desire to smoke.
The last time I quit and started back, I wanted to smoke the entire time.

Will power has nothing to do with quitting. If all that was required to quit was "will power", anyone who wanted to quit would and could at will.
The will to smoke is much stronger than the will to quit. IMHO.

Good luck.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. It is a very difficult thing to successfully quit. This is probably my 6th or 7th try at it and even using an ecig it has its challenges. You'll do it one day and our support will be there.

Whiskadoodle - I am struggling with the quit as you are. I have been on the ecig's for a month or so but I find it's still a struggle. A friend of mine at work today recomended a book by Allen Carr. It's how he quit smoking. I'm starting it tonight to supplement the ecig, which really isn't getting rid of the addiction, but it's better than real cigs.

Ellen DeGenereres used this book to quit so maybe it has some merit.
Stop smoking aids and quit smoking methods by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

This is the book I bought. Apparently the Canadian version is for metric smokers...:LOL:
Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking: New Canadian Edition Book by Allen Carr | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca

Last edited:
Whiskadoodle - I am struggling with the quit as you are. I have been on the ecig's for a month or so but I find it's still a struggle. A friend of mine at work today recomended a book by Allen Carr. It's how he quit smoking. I'm starting it tonight to supplement the ecig, which really isn't getting rid of the addiction, but it's better than real cigs.

Ellen DeGenereres used this book to quit so maybe it has some merit.
Stop smoking aids and quit smoking methods by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

This is the book I bought. Apparently the Canadian version is for metric smokers...:LOL:
Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking: New Canadian Edition Book by Allen Carr | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca
Someone at a party told me to buy that book. He quit after he read it and was smoke free for something like seven years.

I read the book and found it tedious. It worked for me for a whole two weeks. :(

I just checked my local used bookstore's online inventory. They have the Allen Carr book in stock, hard and soft copies. I have heard of Allen Carr's name before. I will check out his book for myself. Thanks for mentioning it, and you too :) for the encouragement.

Do not worry Whiska ... not everyone can make it the first time. For some it takes many attempts.

Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again ...kind of remiinds me of a song LOL

Hang in there .. you will do it :)

Last night I took my nighttime dose. About an hour later I tried to light a cigarette and I had the worst case of dry heaves I have ever had. (I don't vomit for some reason.) My stomach was so sore until I finally fell asleep.

I woke up this morning and get myself a cup of coffee. I reached for a cigarette as a test and even before I could finish trying to light it, I felt so nauseous. I immediately snuffed it out and so far have had no desire to smoke. I don't want a repeat of last night EVER!

So I think it is safe to say, that I quit on July 20th. I will continue taking the rest of the Chantix for the month. Then I will see about letting Winthrop know I have quit.

I am wondering if anyone else has had an experience of Chantix making them sick to their stomach? Should I finish the month out with the remaining pills? This is my second try with the Chantix. The dry heaves happened the first time also. But I continued to smoke at the same time. I finally had to stop taking them before I was ready. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom