The Great DC Smoke Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket_J_Dawg

Sous Chef
Thanks to Macgyver1968's thread, and to pacanis' suggestion to quit smoking, I have taken a personal pledge, along with my wife to quit smoking. Tomorrow we are picking up a couple of "Ecigs". We have a lot of help from former smokers here at DC to help us along. Anyone else on board??....we can help one another.:)
By the way....today is weedless Wednesday here in Canada. What better day to start than that.

Last edited:
What ever you do, do NOT throw all your ashtrays away. That is a sure way to jinx yourself. Keep at least one, cleaned and put away.

Good luck to you. You can do it.

My wife and I made a similar pledge and quit cold turkey on January 1st, 2000. That was 14 years ago and neither of us has had a cigarette since. Both my parents died relatively young from smoking related illnesses, so that was my incentive.

I'm here to support anyone who wants or needs it with quitting tobacco. As a life long smoker (minus 15 yrs), I'm the last person to preach about evil cigarettes as if the truth be known, I still miss them.

I smoked my last cigarette Oct 4th 2011 when I was wheeled off a cruise ship bound for a NYC hospital after I had developed a serious respiratory infection 3,000 miles from home. When the doctors said I wasn't "fit to fly" home because my oxygen levels were so low, home seemed very far away indeed. After 4 days of hell in the hospital, and being told by the experts that cigarettes were not in my future if I wanted to live, I never smoked another, and flew to "home sweet home".
For a while I did ok without my "old friends" and then I discovered ecigs which have the crutch of something to do with my hands, and yes, an amount of nicotine without the all the other nasties of tobacco. Because of the popularity of ecigs, I know the tobacco industry is not happy, or is the government for the lack of taxes for cigarettes. The jury is still out about how harmful nicotine itself is, but most reports show it's about as harmful as caffeine, and that's good enough for me.

Ecigs keep me sane when I can't smoke. Sadly, Chicago is now trying to treat them like regular cigs, making ecig folks go outside along with the "analog" smokers. We will certainly try to not fly out of O'Hare!

Both my parents smoked, though my dad quit for 40 years. He always said he could easily pick up the habit again. Mom had quit shortly before she died.

Last edited:
Shrek is currently trying with the Blu ecigs. Not quite doing it for him. But he will stop...sooner or later.

My last cigarette was January 7th, 2011. I quit with the help of Chantix and Xanax. And I will never be a crazed non-smoker...I'm still a smoker, it's just been a while since I had my last one.

I use South Beach menthols, they taste more like the real deal. I didn't care for the Blu menthol. Like Kayelle, I need the thing to keep my hands busy.

Last edited:
Ecigs keep me sane when I can't smoke. Sadly, Chicago is now trying to treat them like regular cigs, making ecig folks go outside along with the "analog" smokers. We will certainly try to not fly out of O'Hare!

Both my parents smoked, though my dad quit for 40 years. He always said he could easily pick up the habit again.

Just go in the bathroom stall and have a seat Dawg. :) There's no smoke and tobacco smell. I do it all the time in airports, just to avoid any hassle. Actually, in other circumstances I still like to stand with cigarette smokers with my ecig. They are the nicest most friendly people I meet.

Just go in the bathroom stall and have a seat Dawg. :) There's no smoke and tobacco smell. I do it all the time in airports, just to avoid any hassle. Actually, in other circumstances I still like to stand with cigarette smokers with my ecig. They are the nicest most friendly people I meet.

The smoking crowd are also very much interested in the e-cigs and ask excellent questions.

Oh yes, that's the plan, Kayelle! I recall when they first started restricting smoking at airports, a maintenance worker instructed me to "just do what you did in high school, honey, pick a stall, close the door, and light up!"

Not anymore! I usually just puff away on my ecig in the airport, and other than people being curious and asking questions, no-one complains.

First, I support all of you who wish to stop smoking.

I never understood the habit even though both my parents smoked like stoves. Not sure how many packs a day each of them consumed. I never understood how my father could stop for Lent, then start up again. I've never had one cigarette. It didn't make reasonable sense to me.

Then, I married Buck who was a heavy smoker, three packs a day at his worst. His children begged him to stop but, as you smokers already know, that won't be the incentive needed. You have to have the desire to quit on your own and on your terms. One day, Buck just....stopped. That was it. No discussion. No problem. Done.

I wish everyone well. All I can say, is be strong and persevere. I'll be your biggest cheerleader.

The smoking crowd are also very much interested in the e-cigs and ask excellent questions.

So very true PF! The tobacco smokers don't feel threatened either, as they know we were once them, and understand.

Oh yes, that's the plan, Kayelle! I recall when they first started restricting smoking at airports, a maintenance worker instructed me to "just do what you did in high school, honey, pick a stall, close the door, and light up!"

Not anymore! I usually just puff away on my ecig in the airport, and other than people being curious and asking questions, no-one complains.

No, I've had curious looks too but why should they complain when there's nothing to harm or offend them? I use mine on airplanes too, although I try and be discrete with the vapor and blow it into my shirt. :LOL:

So very true PF! The tobacco smokers don't feel threatened either, as they know we were once them, and understand.

No, I've had curious looks too but why should they complain when there's nothing to harm or offend them? I use mine on airplanes too, although I try and be discrete with the vapor and blow it into my shirt. :LOL:

I've used mine on airplanes too. The guy next to us on our last flight laughed when he saw me puff, and pulled his ecig out and had a puff too. I just hope that they don't try to start restricting this harmless, better than analog little fix!

I've used mine on airplanes too. The guy next to us on our last flight laughed when he saw me puff, and pulled his ecig out and had a puff too. I just hope that they don't try to start restricting this harmless, better than analog little fix!

I fear it's only a matter of time Dawg, before the "powers that be" find yet another way of slinging their own attitudes on those of us doing our best for ourselves, but that's just my opinion.

I fear it's only a matter of time Dawg, before the "powers that be" find yet another way of slinging their own attitudes on those of us doing our best for ourselves, but that's just my opinion.

I can't agree more, Kayelle. :(

Heh, in the meantime, we'll keep puffing our little harmless ecigs, until they pry them from our, well, you know!

Last edited:
20 years of smoking and now into my 10th week of being a non-smoker. If I manage to get out the other side with my relationship still intact and without my children having disowned me, I shall be one very happy lady! This psychotic recovering nicotine addict is scaring everyone! (Finding it quite empowering in some ways as usually I'm a big softie but people take notice when I speak/bark now! Lol)

Glad to see everyone taking steps to quit cigs. I've been off of 'em for ages now.

Cigars...that's another topic and I have no plans to quit those. I will smoke one in honor of those trying though.

I seem to remember reading, on some airline's ticket or other info, something to the effect of "No smoking on board the plane, including electronic cigarettes." The part about the e-cigs stuck in my mind because it seemed so dumb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom