The Great DC Smoke Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard today that CVS Pharmacy is going to quit selling cigarettes. It's a big step for a business to give up something that brings in so much money. But it makes sense. They are a pharmacy, in the business of helping people with health problems, so why sell something that is so unhealthy.

My husband used to walk around a store with an unlit cigarette in his mouth. Managers would come up to him and tell him smoking was not allowed in the store. He would say "It's not lit." They probably thought he was nuts, but as soon as we walked out of the store he lit it.

As CWS posted, some people can live to a very old age as a smoker, and never have any smoke-related illnesses, but who wants to take a chance to see if they will be the one who does. I had a couple family members who were on oxygen. Would disconnect the oxygen to have a cigarette, then put the oxygen back on. That's a terrible way to live.

All the pharmacies in Quebec decided to quit selling cigarettes a number of years ago.

It makes sense. I'm wondering if our other pharmacies will follow. We always bought our cigarettes by the carton in the grocery store. Many people here who buy by the pack go to convenience stores.

It makes sense. I'm wondering if our other pharmacies will follow. We always bought our cigarettes by the carton in the grocery store. Many people here who buy by the pack go to convenience stores.
The fewer pharmacies that sell cigarettes, the easier it is for the others to follow. If none of them sell cigarettes, then it isn't a "draw".

I picked up my next month of Chantix today...

Congrats Whiska! Holler if you need anything.

PF, I know you quit smoking some time ago. How long does one need to take ChantiX?

Since Shrek still smokes, I have a handy reminder hanging around about what I am missing. I go back on Chantix when I start craving cigarettes. I've been taking it this time for about three months.

Since Shrek still smokes, I have a handy reminder hanging around about what I am missing. I go back on Chantix when I start craving cigarettes. I've been taking it this time for about three months.

{{{{PF}}}} I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.
I still smell an occasional cigarette from a stranger and I think it smells great, unlike everyone else. I gotta hand it to ya girl! Stay strong!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Kayelle! Then there's all the "cool kids" at work, too...who I used to hang out with in the freezing cold, wet...:ROFLMAO:

I don't really, that's why I still take Chantix. With it, I can ignore the smell. I can smell ashtrays...

Since Shrek still smokes, I have a handy reminder hanging around about what I am missing.
I don't know how you do it. My wife and I quit cold turkey at the same time. After the first week I seriously thought we might end up in divorce court. Looking back, though, I don't think I would have made it if she hadn't quit with me.

That was 14 years ago. It took a while, but after about six months of being smoke free I no longer thought about smoking and didn't miss it one bit. My wife, on the other hand, says she still occasionally craves a cigarette from time to time.

My advice is to not look at it from the perspective of what you are missing, but rather what you are gaining: better health and possibly a longer life.

Last edited:
If Shrek had stayed on the Chantix we would have gotten divorced or widowed somehow. He really did get mean on the Chantix. Me, I just have fun dreams that are very vivid and I don't want to smoke.

My Dad still craves a cigarette and it's been 40 years for him. I really don't know, between actually smoking and secondhand smoke am I benefiting? I may have to lay down some rules for the Green One.

I don't know how you do it. My wife and I quit cold turkey at the same time. After the first week I seriously thought we might end up in divorce court. Looking back, though, I don't think I would have made it if she hadn't quit with me.

That was 14 years ago. It took a while, but after about six months of being smoke free I no longer thought about smoking and didn't miss it one bit. My wife, on the other hand, says she still occasionally craves a cigarette from time to time.

My advice is to not look at it from the perspective of what you are missing, but rather what you are gaining: better health and possibly a longer life.

I tried to quit several times before DH quit but was unable to stick with it. Only worked when we did it together. It is very hard to quit when someone else in the household is still smoking.

When I worked in the pharmacy, you first got the starter pak and then a 3 month's supply of continuous treatment. I guess they thought you should have been cured by then because you could not order again until a certain waiting period had gone by. Then you had to start all over with the starter pak. You could only do this 3 times and they you were denied. I guess they figured if you had to do it over and over then it wasn't working for you. I think that all had something to do with your insurance coverage.

Great testimonial, RB. I'm nervous about Chantix because of the mood swings reported. I'm pretty even temperamented and easy-going, don't want to turn into a raging she-bat. Your experience is very reassuring.

There will be changes in your behavior. But these are temporary as Chantix is not designed for maintenance. It should be discontinued after the therapy is over. I only needed one month and I was done with smoking for the rest of my life.

I picked up my next month of Chantix today...

Its been 5 years since I quit using Chantix. When I used the therapy, it was only for one month. (the step therapy lasts for one month only).
First two(2) weeks 5mg twice a day and then two(2) more weeks at 10mg. That was it, unless they have changed the prescription?
I had no idea you could continue to take this medicine? Your doctor prescribes this medicine regularly?

Once again. Your doctor is prescribing Chantix for longer than recommended? Or has the step therapy changed? The therapy is one month long.

That's got to be the worst. Every time I pass someone who has just come in from a smoke. PF...You must have amazing willpower.

That is why I said I felt sorry for those using nicotine replacement. I quit many times over the 40 years I smoked. Once I quit for 5 years and went back. No matter how I quit, I always wanted to smoke until I tried Chantix. Chantix changed me. It changed the thinking that accompanies smoking. In my case, I feel as if I have never smoked. So, I have nothing to miss. Its a non issue.
As an example I was in the local bar yesterday and my friend was sitting next to me smoking the same brand I used smoked. I was not in the least bit tempted and actually found myself feeling sorry for the guy.

There is no doubt that Chantix can and does have negative side effects for some people.
But, in many cases its not the side effects that are the actual problem. It is the person using side effects as a reason to discontinue the therapy and go back to smoking.
Like I said before. I was quitting because I promised my wife I would. And it still worked. That really does say something.

RB the point of this thread is to encourage rather than presume that one method of quitting is the perfect way for everyone. I have strong feelings against using Chantix, and that doesn't mean I'm wrong, only that another method has been successful for me.

RB the point of this thread is to encourage rather than presume that one method of quitting is the perfect way for everyone. I have strong feelings against using Chantix, and that doesn't mean I'm wrong, only that another method has been successful for me.

You're right.
I guess it worked so well for me, I wanted to make sure everyone knew about it.
Did not mean to sound judgmental. Use what works for you! Whatever that might be.

Day 2 No Smoking for me. I think for irrational reasons such as I avoid medications whenever possible, chantex is not for me.

I stayed up late ( 4 am) reading and got up at Noon my time. Now if I go to bed on time tonight, it will make the day-time shorter and will be manageable. It is too cold to go outside and hence onward to the store, and have no desire to do so if I think about it, like I am at this moment.

I think I better work on short term strategies to occupy my time for when I really start getting the crawlies. I didn't plan this well enough in advance beyond I am going to quit smoking and let my Dx know on superbowl sunday she isn't invited over anytime soon ( she smokes too). Oh, and I quit drinking coffee a week ago, mostly. I tend to smoke more in the mornings with coffee. The morning is gone.

Its been 5 years since I quit using Chantix. When I used the therapy, it was only for one month. (the step therapy lasts for one month only).
First two(2) weeks 5mg twice a day and then two(2) more weeks at 10mg. That was it, unless they have changed the prescription?
I had no idea you could continue to take this medicine? Your doctor prescribes this medicine regularly?

Once again. Your doctor is prescribing Chantix for longer than recommended? Or has the step therapy changed? The therapy is one month long.

My cardiologist has determined that it is more important to work with what works for me, she will prescribe it for me for as long as I need it. I'm not hurting anyone or myself by taking Chantix. I have not had any behavior changes, aside from not smoking, since starting to take Chantix the first time. And I do wait 2-3 months before restarting ...that's about when the cravings start again. I would rather pay for the Chantix, if my insurance stops paying for it, I will pay out of pocket if I feel I still need it.

My Chantix dose started @ 0.5 mg dose each day x 1 week, then twice a day x 1 week. After that it went to 1 mg twice a day x 3 months. I've never seen a 5 or 10 mg dose. (Chantix does not come in 5 or 10 mg doses according to the Physicians Desk Reference and the Chantix website)

I'm glad you were able to quit in the manner you did...not all of us are that lucky.

Last edited:
My cardiologist has determined that it is more important to work with what works for me, she will prescribe it for me for as long as I need it. I'm not hurting anyone or myself by taking Chantix. I have not had any behavior changes, aside from not smoking, since starting to take Chantix the first time. And I do wait 2-3 months before restarting ...that's about when the cravings start again. I would rather pay for the Chantix, if my insurance stops paying for it, I will pay out of pocket if I feel I still need it.

My Chantix dose started @ 0.5 mg dose each day x 1 week, then twice a day x 1 week. After that it went to 1 mg twice a day x 3 months. I've never seen a 5 or 10 mg dose. (Chantix does not come in 5 or 10 mg doses according to the Physicians Desk Reference and the Chantix website)

I'm glad you were able to quit in the manner you did...not all of us are that lucky.

You must remember I have not smoked or used Chantix for 5 years. So, I think I did pretty good guessing 5mg and 10mg when its actually .5 & 1.0 mg.
I also do not think luck played any part in my quitting.

However. When I took Chantix it came in a carded dose system. Like Z-Pac antibiotic comes.
It had two weeks of .5 and two weeks of 1.0. Daily doses prepared and listed.
Does it still come this way?
If it does, do you double up on the .5 mg. I am curious as I was very happy when I finally took the last pill. I was having some pretty vivid dreams and my wife said I was being mean.

If the treatment has changed, I would like to know as i recommend this drug to those who are not having much success with traditional approaches.

ps.........I just checked the web site and it seems 12 weeks is the new dosing schedule. Recommended dosing schedule. When I took it, it was only for one month. And it very well could have been longer had I need longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom