The History Boys - Tony Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
The History Boys took six awards including best drama and the best actor trophy for Richard Griffiths. Frances De La Tour also got a Tony for her performance in the same play. Both actors are brilliant, and both prove that good looks aren't the MOST important thing (British use of understatement at work here!)

If any of you get a chance to see it - GO.... I saw it 4 times in the West End and loved it. It's about a teacher in an English school. I believe they are also making a film from the play.

Richard Griffiths is an amazing actor - LARGE - but so charismatic! He was the star of a TV detective series here called 'Pie in the Sky' where he played a semi-retired policeman who had opened a restaurant.... the food would make anyone drool... the stories were incidental to the food :)

Frances de la Tour is one of our finest British actresses.... again, her looks are nothing to write home about - but she is a wonderful actress.

Luckily, in the acting profession here, talent is more important than looks (although good looks don't hurt...!)

Amen, Izzy. Altho they are not unattractive by any means, I've grown even fonder of Dame Maggie Smith and Dame Judy Dench as they age and flourish in their acting abilities. Also loved the late John Thaw of the Inspector Morse series. And of course, Leo whathislastname of the Rumpole series.

Leo McKern - a great actor - greatly missed. Did you know he was an Aussie?

Both Maggie Smith and Judi Dench are wonderful actors. Judi Dench is one of my favourites. She was wonderful as Queen Victoria in the film with Billy Connolly playing her ghillie, Mr Brown.

Another great, older actress is Prunella Scales.

Did not know that about Mr. McKern.

Prunella of Fawlty Towers fame - agree

Judi (thanks for the spelling correction) and Maggie also were wonderful in the recent movie about two spinsters who have a German airman wash up on their beach (can't think of the name of it). And I still crack up at Miss Maggie's role in "A Private Function."

Back
Top Bottom