"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Thumbs up The History of 'APRONS'

The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think most of our kids know what an apron is.

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few.

It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material.

But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Share this with those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love.

MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I always wear my "pinny" when I'm cooking. We had to make our own in our first term of Home Economics/Domestic Science at school and when we moved on to actually cooking, etc., we had to sit out and do written theory if we forgot our apron.

Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Sous Chef
Thanks, that was a fun read. I have several of my Grandma's aprons and wear one when I head into the orchard.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
My daughter once told me that when she saw me put on my apron, she knew something good was going to happen for supper.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Master Chef
My Grandmother wore a full apron like the one in your story.

I remember my Mother wearing a half apron, over her good clothes, on Sunday when she scrambled to get a traditional Sunday dinner on the table.

Maybe, in years to come, they will write a story about my old stained baggy T shirts!

Thanks MrsLMB
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I love aprons, have quite the collection.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Master Chef
Mrs LMB, that made me smile...took me right back to my grandma's kitchen way back in the day. Thank you.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love aprons and, like PrincessFiona, I have many. Most of mine are "total coverage" aprons, much like the one my grandmother used. She always had several hanging in the broom closet off the kitchen.

Funny, too, I collect vintage sewing patterns and have quite a collection of "olde tyme" apron patterns, of which I've made several for myself and as gifts for friends who are serious cooks.

Love the story and love my aprons.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef
The History of 'APRONS'

I love aprons too, probably just for the nostalgia, because I rarely wear one. I like making old fashioned ones for friends and family. Like MC I had to make one in Home Economics class. Everyone had to make the same one it was a style similar to the one Mrs. Livingston (in The Courtship Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1404274068.040742.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	21483of Eddie's Father tv program) wore. We were not allowed to use scissors, it was made from a series of squares that we tore from a couple of yards or so of fabric. I love that Apron. I have to dig it out, it's about 45 years old. Oh my!
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
I have two aprons...

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote