The Hokey-Pokey Shower (more vacation news)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Hi everyone! We stayed in a little motel in Maine last night. The guy said we would be able to "catch" his home wireless from our room, but we ended up with no Internet. The shower was definitely interesting. There was no tub, and only a very small shower stall. I had a hard time taking a shower in it. When James was ready for his shower I told him he might have to do the "Hokey-Pokey Shower." He wondered what that was. Here is the Hokey-Pokey Shower: You put your right leg in (and wash it), you put your right leg out. You put your right leg in (and rinse it), and shake it all about! Fortunately he managed!

Today we went to the post office and filled two large boxes, one medium box, and one medium-small box and sent 159 pounds of stuff home. Our car is still pretty full, but that sure took a load off! Then (of course!) we went to a yard sale and an antique shop and bought a few little things. We had dinner at a restaurant in Kennebunkport, Maine. Since we were in Maine we tried a few local specialties. We both had clam chowder. I loved it, and James, who always said he hated clams, even liked it. We had jumbo shrimp cocktails. I had a small salad and James had cole slaw. For our entrees James had shrimp and fries. I went with steak and lobster. I have only had lobster once before, and it was only a lobster tail. So this was quite an experience! It was okay (I used to hate it, and only like it a little now), and the steak was really good. For dessert we had Maine wild blueberry pie a la mode. WOW, was that good!!!

I am attaching pictures of our food. I am also including three pictures of James in his new hat. :cool:

We will stay two nights here in Amesbury, MA, then head to Vermont and then south on Sunday.

Well, I'm off to do the laundry!

:)Barbara

Attachments

• Lobster 1.jpg
    Lobster 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Lobster 2.jpg
    Lobster 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Lobster 3.jpg
    Lobster 3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 263
  • James's shrimp 2.jpg
    James's shrimp 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 1.jpg
    Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 2.jpg
    Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 3.jpg
    Maine Wild Blueberry Pie 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 172
  • James in his new hat 1.jpg
    James in his new hat 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 183
  • James in his new hat 2.jpg
    James in his new hat 2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 186
  • James in his new hat 3.jpg
    James in his new hat 3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
You're killing me with that lobster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it was as good as it looks!! LOVE the hat James, it gives you a whole new look!

Everything was good! The pie was like a piece of heaven!

Our server was so sweet and friendly. She stayed and talked with us for a long time (they weren't very busy yet). She is a middle school music teacher. We had a great time talking to her.

When James was ready for his shower I told him he might have to do the "Hokey-Pokey Shower." He wondered what that was. Here is the Hokey-Pokey Shower: You put your right leg in (and wash it), you put your right leg out. You put your right leg in (and rinse it), and shake it all about! Fortunately he managed! :)Barbara

You got me thinkin' barb.....

It just occured to me-what if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what its all about.....:question::question:

Great pics. Of course I love the surf & turf, but that is one nice looking plate of shrimp and fries, too!

And thanks for the hokey-pokey laugh. :LOL:

love the hokey pokey comment smoke

James looks good in that hat.

Dont forget the sryup in vermont. and there is the vermont teddy bear company. I went on the tour years agoa nadi t was pretty cool and defintl check out ben and jerrys if you can. Im not to sure of your trip plans.

I would have taken just the claws. You missed the sweetest part of the critter! The blueberry looks dynamite! The hat too, James.
Where was the Maine potato, though? Vermont's a rural state mostly. You'll see alot of land and 'poor' areas if you take secondary roads. But along with the syrup, don't forget the cheese!. Be safe and continue to enjoy.

I would have taken just the claws.

Im glad im not allow in only really liking the claw. My local fish market takes some lobsters and sperates the claws and the tails and sells them sperately. then they make there lobster bisque (really good) with the left over.

1.99 lb for the claws i get a few and yummy.

Ah, the stories from home . . . . . . . (I grew up in New England)

Vermont is about 3 primary things, 4 if you count the beautiful landscape scenery.

1. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - bar none, including Haagen Daz (sp?) my all time favorite ice cream with some incredibly creative (and tasty) flavors. I don't recall how many they have, but it's more then most ice cream places (maybe not Baskin Robbins' 31 flavors, but close). My favorite is Phish Food. DW's fav is Choc Chip Cookie Dough.

2. Vermont Maple Syrup - tried, true, and all natural. Not the fake stuff commercially produced and combined with high fructrose corn syrup. We're talking all natural maple syrup. Thinner then traditional store bought (due to no syrup) and a bit more tart then the sweetened stuff in the store.

3. Vermont Teddy Bears - available via the 'Net all across the US, and possibly internationally now too. Create, design, and make your own bear, perhaps a DC bear with an apron?

Were I to ever move back to New England, Vermont would be high on my list of places to select as home. Have fun out there!

I would have taken just the claws. You missed the sweetest part of the critter! The blueberry looks dynamite! The hat too, James.
Where was the Maine potato, though? Vermont's a rural state mostly. You'll see alot of land and 'poor' areas if you take secondary roads. But along with the syrup, don't forget the cheese!. Be safe and continue to enjoy.
I didn't really miss the sweetest part, since I had the claws as well as the rest of it. :cool: I did have a baked potato, but I don't know where it came from.

We have already planned on the syrup, but I didn't know Vermont was known for cheese. We will have to check that out. I love cheese!

Ah, the stories from home . . . . . . . (I grew up in New England)

Vermont is about 3 primary things, 4 if you count the beautiful landscape scenery.

1. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream...

2. Vermont Maple Syrup...

3. Vermont Teddy Bears...

Were I to ever move back to New England, Vermont would be high on my list of places to select as home. Have fun out there!
I love Ben & Jerry's, and I love Vermont Teddy Bears. If we run across either, we will check them out for sure! Because we really do have to go home at some point, lol, we really aren't planning on going too deep into Vermont (will do that someday though). Our two main reasons to go there are to add another state to the list of states where I have been (that will just leave 5--OR, WA, WI, HI, and AK) and Vermont Maple Syrup. I have been telling James how good it is, so he wants to be sure to get plenty while we are there. He got a small bottle of Maine maple syrup last night to compare. lol

We plan to head over to Vermont tomorrow after we check out here, and then we will either head south late tomorrow or stay one night in Vermont and then head south. We have two more planned stops (Washington D.C. for hopefully a couple days, and kitchenelf's!--and maybe a couple quick visits if we can arrange them). Then we are headed home, where we will try to get back into normal life! We have been gone so long that this feels normal now! But I miss my babies so much that I need to get home to them as soon as we can.

i adore yins!!!
luv that lobster. Dad likes to place lobster on thier kitchen floor so my kitties bat at 'em!!! mean 'ol Dad.

I didn't really miss the sweetest part, since I had the claws as well as the rest of it. :cool: I did have a baked potato, but I don't know where it came from.

We have already planned on the syrup, but I didn't know Vermont was known for cheese. We will have to check that out. I love cheese!

Glad to hear I'm not drooling for nothing - about the claws.
VERMONT CHEDDAR!!!!

sounds like a great trip, Barbs, you should be banned for allowing people to download all those yummy pictures---I hope that I don't kill my computer with me drooling over it!!!!!!!!!! I had to really laugh at the hokey pokey description of your luxurious shower.........DH and I are doing that with ours now.........oh, the tub/shower is big enough it's just that the shower goes from a comfortable warm........to HOT and then to COLD........you hokey pokey alright.......so much fun trying to shampoo long hair......enjoy Vermont!!!

I forgot about Vermont Cheddar. Better then Wisconsin Cheddar, IMHO. Both are good, so I can tolerate living here, but oh for some good Vermont Cheddar.

Back
Top Bottom