The Homeless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is why I show compassion for them at a distance. And hope and pray that they try to go get some help.

And I know that if you yourself have been burnt once, you'd take the necessary steps to avoid the same thing from happening again. Not to wish any bad luck on you at all.

But the bottom line is, that help IS availible out there for them, and it more than likely costs them nothing. Nothing but time work and patience.

Some will ask for money and they are usually standing next to a liquor store, so you know what they want the money for. And if they are drunk or they drink to get drunk, I figure that if I were to give them money, well, I'm hurting them even more because that is more alcohol in their system, stomach and liver. That's why I shy away from giving them money.

Some will ask for money to get somethinjg to eat, or they eat food from the trash can.

I know that in Boston during the torridly hot summer weather and during the most bitterly cold days of winter, the homeless shelters and the police will go around and try to pull the homeless off the streets so that they won't die from the blazing heat of the sun or the bitter cold.

I can only look at them and shake my head. I might suggest to them to try to get to a shelter, but it's still up to them to make the move. Otherwise I can't force them to do it.

Here's another one of my old sayings; You can lead a horse or a dog to water, but you can't make them drink it.

I really don't have anything against them. They are human beings as well. Actually, it's society and the system that is failing them. I've always said that in cases like this, the system is broken and it needs to be fixed.

Sounds a bit more compassionate than this:

I never offer these people any money because I feel like this; That since they are out there all day begging for money, then why in the world can't they be looking for a job?!

Most of them just don't want to go get help. They just would rather stay out in the streets and be bums where garbage food is for free and so are empty soda bottles and cans!

Corey you just don't get it. You are making blanket statements and generalizations that simply are not true. It might be true of the very small percentage that you have had contact with, but for you to say that about all of them the way you keep doing is just horrible and plain wrong.

Sorry, but I think that you misunderstood me. This IS the small percentage that I've talked to.

I thought I explained to you that in a few posts back that I've made kind suggestions to them or SOME of the homeless that they should try to get into a shelter or get some help otherwise, which we all know is a start on the road to recovery if they do.

Did you hear me say ALL of them? Most likely not because I didn't. I said SOME of them. "They" or "them" does not necessarily mean all of them. Why would I say that when I know that some ARE in shelters getting help?

While there are some in shelters, there are still a lot of them to make the changeover to get help. For me to say ALL of them WOULD be wrong, but I never once said that about all of them.

I DO see quite a few of them in my neighborhood. Some will stop me and ask for some change. And sometimes I give some of it to them.

Last edited:
Ok all, being one who has trouble in communicating I can see that "what we have here is a failure to communicate!" Remember that line guys and gals? If so smile. What was the movie, staring Paul Newman?

Anyway, we are now trying to dance on the head of a pin and only angels can do that.

Amy, you are a special person with a special heart as are all (maybe excepting me) who responded to your original querstion. Suggestion - some give food in one way or the other and some live where food is needed. Makes me know in this little town of Marion Ohio I had better start sharing a few dollars at the food pantrys - even five a month would help.

Besides that Amy, you have a flood of awesome recipes and I know that for a fact. How can we blend a bit of our own home cooking into the question of what to do for the homeless? Do you have a suggestion? Here I don't see them on the street - town is too small I guess so I will have to go a small monthly gift to a pantry, but apparently some could cook up a pot of something? and enjoy the cooking and the giving.

Any thoughts dear lady - don't mean to put you on the spot but I do respect your recipes and thoughts.

Sorry, but I think that you misunderstood me. This IS the small percentage that I've talked to.

I thought I explained to you that in a few posts back that I've made kind suggestions to them or SOME of the homeless that they should try to get into a shelter or get some help otherwise, which we all know is a start on the road to recovery if they do.

Did you hear me say ALL of them? Most likely not because I didn't. I said SOME of them. "They" or "them" does not necessarily mean all of them. Why would I say that when I know that some ARE in shelters getting help?

While there are some in shelters, there are still a lot of them to make the changeover to get help. For me to say ALL of them WOULD be wrong, but I never once said that about all of them.

I DO see quite a few of them in my neighborhood. Some will stop me and ask for some change. And sometimes I give some of it to them.

Corey, if you did not mean all then that is great. You should really be more careful of what you say though. You did NOT say "some" as you claim. What you said was
Corey123 said:
Yeah, but they WILL refuse help. They won't let anyone help them, so there's nothing else that can be done at that point.

Saying they like that implies ALL. It does not imply some. You might want to be aware of that for the future.

David had a very good idea - I've been reading in the news that food banks are almost out of food because so many people are in need right now. Just give whatever you can to your local food bank.....

Corey, one doesn't have to say the word "all" in every sentence in order to be mistakenly generalizing about a large and diverse group of people.

Your words from your first post:

Most of them just don't want to go get help. They just would rather stay out in the streets and be bums where garbage food is for free and so are empty soda bottles and cans!

That is undeniably a generalization. You have the right to your opinion, and others have the right to take strong exception to it.

:)I just go by what my heart tells me if it's the same guy day after day and looks capable of working he gets nothing if it's someone that really looks like they need some help I give some money. I really prefer that those that are capable of working and have all their faculty's get nothing. If they don't want to help themselves why should I help them. By the way if it came down to it you can always get a job washing dishes and you will most likely get a meal everyday as well. Panhandling can be quite profitable for some people which is why they do what they do rather than work a minimum wage job.

:)I just go by what my heart tells me if it's the same guy day after day and looks capable of working he gets nothing if it's someone that really looks like they need some help I give some money. I really prefer that those that are capable of working and have all their faculty's get nothing. If they don't want to help themselves why should I help them. By the way if it came down to it you can always get a job washing dishes and you will most likely get a meal everyday as well. Panhandling can be quite profitable for some people which is why they do what they do rather than work a minimum wage job.

One minor point -- unfortunately, it is not always simple to determine a person's mental or physical health/abilities by merely looking at them as you pass by. Some problems are obvious; others not at all.

One minor point -- unfortunately, it is not always simple to determine a person's mental or physical health/abilities by merely looking at them as you pass by. Some problems are obvious; others not at all.
:) I know, I know but I do the best that I can.

does it really matter how or why they've gotten there?

pds's post of getting into a fancy car (replete with rumble seat and HooOOOgah type horn on the side :cool:) is uncommon, for the vast majority of homeless.

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy.

hey, everybody wanted $5 freakin' toys and clothes from walmart, who could obtain them from horriffic, human rights and environment abusing factories in china. so now we have to pay because the giant scale of supply and demand has been tipped.

but should we forget that we're all in this boat together?

of what to do for the homeless?

I'm not the "dear lady" yu were referring to, LOL, but here's what I do, rather than giving them money.

When the local food banks have their fundraisers, I don't just go through the cold room and give the stuff I don't want. I go out and buy what's on the list. I may not agree with what's on the list, but I buy it anyway.

If I see a great sale on something, pasta, rice, canned goods etc, I'll buy a bunch and drop it off at the Salvation Army.

Any usable clothing we don't want / need gets donated. There is a group here helping folks get back into the work force. They get all our work clothes / purses/ accessories.

At work, we support "Second Harvest". In the last 3 years, we have raised thousands of dollars for the various shelters they support.

I feel badly when I see homeless people, but I feel [Edited for language] good knowing I do something to help.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
does it really matter how or why they've gotten there? ...

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy...

Thanks for bringing it up again, Tom. Perhaps it was the timing - receiving an economic stimulus check & seeing the homeless situation come so close to home. (Not that I haven't been aware of the problem for some time.)

Thank you for the kind words, David. I read thru the responses, & even though I may not agree with certain opinions, I do respect that we are able to discuss them in an adult fashion. I don't have all the answers, of course. But, wondering what will happen with the economy in the next year to five years. Hopefully, things will turn around & start looking up again soon. I have many thoughts reading thru the posts. Perhaps when my eyes are more open, lol, I'll come back & share. Do appreciate the input & replies. You guys are the best. :)

Looks like we're back on track and off the head of the pin. Communicating is hard - just listen to the TV commentators who eventhough highly paid for talking many times don't know an adverb from an adjective and how to use pronouns at all. It's not easy but now that are on track there are some real good ideas coming out. If Amy will allow me to share a thank you with her I shall - thank you for your insights and inspiration.

I remember when I was a kid, and skateboarding, and I gave my last 50 cents to a guy I saw picking stuff out of the trash....he took it.

Then he got in a NICE truck that said "scrap recycling" and drove off........

Just recently, I picked up a book called Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard....and it definitely changed my views on some things. It's a very quick and easy read. Check it out.

Corey, one doesn't have to say the word "all" in every sentence in order to be mistakenly generalizing about a large and diverse group of people.

Your words from your first post:

That is undeniably a generalization. You have the right to your opinion, and others have the right to take strong exception to it.

Things often get misunderstood very easily. It's true that I said they, most of them or them, but by no means did I mean ALL. Nor was I intentionally generalizing.

People can assume things, but I never meant all of them.

Let's just end this because I see now, that it might be coming on as a heated debate. Seems some get offended by what I say at times and no offense was meant.

I merely spoke what was on my mind like everyone else did.

Corey... I totally understand what you are saying. When I walk to the grocery store, I get approached by no less than 3 probably closer to 5 people each day. Most I walk by (on this particular path)... because you have a vibe... it's not a blanket vibe... specific to each person. The lady that told me she needed money to feed her 3 year old because the live under the bridge. I was putting my groceries in the trunk of my car... so pulled out a box of very kid friendly cereal, a bag of bagel and a BIG jar of peanut butter. Her response, "Oh we don't that" and she walked away. She's approached me many times, in different locations with different stories. The more times this happens to you (and it happens often in the city) the less likely you are to continue to listen. That doesn't mean you stop listening. There's an amputee on the same corner every day on my ride home... when the traffic is right... I give him a bottle of water... he happily accepts it. I've given him blankets in the winter too.

I didn't read Corey's statements as blanket statements at all.

Years ago I was walking in downtown Winnipeg, and we passed a really, really down and out person (either on drugs or alcohol) begging for money. The person with me said "Someone, somewhere, has baby pictures of him". That phrase has always stuck with me.

A sobering thought. I now that phrase will always stick with me, too.:(

pds's post of getting into a fancy car (replete with rumble seat and HooOOOgah type horn on the side :cool:) is uncommon, for the vast majority of homeless.

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy.

hey, everybody wanted $5 freakin' toys and clothes from walmart, who could obtain them from horriffic, human rights and environment abusing factories in china. so now we have to pay because the giant scale of supply and demand has been tipped.

but should we forget that we're all in this boat together?

It depends on what you choose to focus, apparently. Some will remember most those who scam the system; others remember the ones who have, for whatever reason, found themselves living sad and desperate lives. The same is true whenever the subject of welfare comes up.

The comment about remembering that every street person was someone's baby once is just another way of reminding us that we shouldn't ever "forget that we're all in this boat together," if I may quote you. :)

Back
Top Bottom