"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #31
Head Chef

If you guys get tired of hearing about Mexico, just let me know, but I wanted to add that in the 2+ years we have been here, I can count the number of homeless people I've seen on one hand. Occasionally, someone will come to our gate and ask for money for bus fare into Puerto Vallarta (5 pesos/50 cents), and once we had a woman come to our gate and ask for money for medicine for her baby (50 pesos/5 dollars). Once in awhile, you see someone in Vallarta holding out a cup for donations, but they almost always give something in exchange (chiclets, candy, etc.) Seems that people are taken care of by their families here, at least in our area.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #32
Executive Chef

b.t.~~~~! There you go again. Held it in pretty long today!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
You say that you'd work longer if you were not disabled and that this is no fault of your own. But remember that someone else who doesn't know your story might judge you as harshly as you seem to judge the homeless.

I will never believe that any significant number of human beings willingly choose for any significant length of time to live in an environment normally associated with our homeless population. Never.

I expect to be judged as a hardball or a cold and cruel heel.

But it's the truth. I speak from experience when I say that for a number of years, I've helped homeless people, and all that it got me was nowhere, and I ended up paying for it big time!

Because when some of them lived with me, they were on recreational drugs, stole from me, lied and freeloded off me with no effort to try to pull their own weight.

As Constance pointed out, and she was right, when someone does that, it's their own doing, and she's also right, they lie, cheat and steal, money is missing, electronic equipment, microwaves and other valuables suddenly end up missing, yet no one knows who took the stuff.

People who do that are not your friends.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #34
Head Chef

Just thinking about the experiences Corey123 has shared. Just so you know, I tried hard one time to help a person out who seemed if they just could catch a break maybe the corner would be turned. Well it was for me - learned alot in the doing, like how was it that checks of a sudden were bouncing all over? The secret for stealing checks is to take them from the back of the check book. That way the victim won't suspect a thing until the notices start coming from the merchants and from the bank, wanting reimbursement and of course those big fees. It gives you some running room! :)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

corey, it's pretty normal to become hardened to a situation once you've been burned by it. so no worries.

however, as amy pointed out, the problem of homelessness is getting worse with the bad economy. there'll be a lot more decent people who will expand the ranks of the homeless, and therefore will need other good people to help out.
be grateful for having the grace of god not to be in their situaton, and not continue to be bitter for your material losses.

sorry, i'll stop preaching now.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
corey, it's pretty normal to become hardened to a situation once you've been burned by it. so no worries.

however, as amy pointed out, the problem of homelessness is getting worse with the bad economy. there'll be a lot more decent people who will expand the ranks of the homeless, and therefore will need other good people to help out.
be grateful for having the grace of god not to be in their situaton, and not continue to be bitter for your material losses.

sorry, i'll stop preaching now.

Not a problem.

But I'm not bitter - just careful now.

Yes, you're right, those things ARE material and can be replaced. But if I told you that I've been burned big time with 6 big rip-offs in as little as 5 years,
you'd probably think that I'm kidding, but I'm not.

It takes years to replace or get that stuff back, buying it that is, but it only takes two seconds to lose it. And since I'm on a fixed income, I can't just go right out and replace that stuff in a heartbeat.

Someone I know who cleaned me out before, I ran into last year. He gave me his number, but I didn't even bother calling him. I tore it up and threw it away. He more than likely is still on crack.

Chances are, that he might have wanted to try to get back in good graces with me, and before you know it, he would have been trying to inch his way back into my life and place and start the same thing all over again!! Not a happening thing.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Sorry, but most of the faults some of you are describing are hardly peculiar to the homeless. If you knew, say, a student who stole from his roommates, cheated on his gf, and passed off others' work as his own, would you make blanket statements about all students?

I'm not suggesting inviting strangers in for a sleepover or any direct action at all; I'm just suggesting less generalizing/stererotyping and a little more compassion for those who may not be as fortunate as you are...at this moment.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Sorry, but most of the faults some of you are describing are hardly peculiar to the homeless. If you knew, say, a student who stole from his roommates, cheated on his gf, and passed off others' work as his own, would you make blanket statements about all students?

I'm not suggesting inviting strangers in for a sleepover or any direct action at all; I'm just suggesting less generalizing/stererotyping and a little more compassion for those who may not be as fortunate as you are...at this moment.
Perfectly said!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Years ago I was walking in downtown Winnipeg, and we passed a really, really down and out person (either on drugs or alcohol) begging for money. The person with me said "Someone, somewhere, has baby pictures of him". That phrase has always stuck with me.
I'm sitting here with a big wad of Kleenex in my hand. I needed them after reading this. That phrase sums up perfectly how I hope to view every homeless or unfortunate person I see from this day forward. Thank you for this gift, Loprraine.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:

Which is why I show compassion for them at a distance. And hope and pray that they try to go get some help.

And I know that if you yourself have been burnt once, you'd take the necessary steps to avoid the same thing from happening again. Not to wish any bad luck on you at all.

But the bottom line is, that help IS availible out there for them, and it more than likely costs them nothing. Nothing but time work and patience.

Some will ask for money and they are usually standing next to a liquor store, so you know what they want the money for. And if they are drunk or they drink to get drunk, I figure that if I were to give them money, well, I'm hurting them even more because that is more alcohol in their system, stomach and liver. That's why I shy away from giving them money.

Some will ask for money to get somethinjg to eat, or they eat food from the trash can.

I know that in Boston during the torridly hot summer weather and during the most bitterly cold days of winter, the homeless shelters and the police will go around and try to pull the homeless off the streets so that they won't die from the blazing heat of the sun or the bitter cold.

I can only look at them and shake my head. I might suggest to them to try to get to a shelter, but it's still up to them to make the move. Otherwise I can't force them to do it.

Here's another one of my old sayings; You can lead a horse or a dog to water, but you can't make them drink it.

I really don't have anything against them. They are human beings as well. Actually, it's society and the system that is failing them. I've always said that in cases like this, the system is broken and it needs to be fixed.