"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
One minor point -- unfortunately, it is not always simple to determine a person's mental or physical health/abilities by merely looking at them as you pass by. Some problems are obvious; others not at all.
I know, I know but I do the best that I can.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

does it really matter how or why they've gotten there?

pds's post of getting into a fancy car (replete with rumble seat and HooOOOgah type horn on the side ) is uncommon, for the vast majority of homeless.

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy.

hey, everybody wanted $5 freakin' toys and clothes from walmart, who could obtain them from horriffic, human rights and environment abusing factories in china. so now we have to pay because the giant scale of supply and demand has been tipped.

but should we forget that we're all in this boat together?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
of what to do for the homeless?
I'm not the "dear lady" yu were referring to, LOL, but here's what I do, rather than giving them money.

When the local food banks have their fundraisers, I don't just go through the cold room and give the stuff I don't want. I go out and buy what's on the list. I may not agree with what's on the list, but I buy it anyway.

If I see a great sale on something, pasta, rice, canned goods etc, I'll buy a bunch and drop it off at the Salvation Army.

Any usable clothing we don't want / need gets donated. There is a group here helping folks get back into the work force. They get all our work clothes / purses/ accessories.

At work, we support "Second Harvest". In the last 3 years, we have raised thousands of dollars for the various shelters they support.

I feel badly when I see homeless people, but I feel [Edited for language] good knowing I do something to help.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
does it really matter how or why they've gotten there? ...

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy...
Thanks for bringing it up again, Tom. Perhaps it was the timing - receiving an economic stimulus check & seeing the homeless situation come so close to home. (Not that I haven't been aware of the problem for some time.)

Thank you for the kind words, David. I read thru the responses, & even though I may not agree with certain opinions, I do respect that we are able to discuss them in an adult fashion. I don't have all the answers, of course. But, wondering what will happen with the economy in the next year to five years. Hopefully, things will turn around & start looking up again soon. I have many thoughts reading thru the posts. Perhaps when my eyes are more open, lol, I'll come back & share. Do appreciate the input & replies. You guys are the best.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #55
Head Chef

Looks like we're back on track and off the head of the pin. Communicating is hard - just listen to the TV commentators who eventhough highly paid for talking many times don't know an adverb from an adjective and how to use pronouns at all. It's not easy but now that are on track there are some real good ideas coming out. If Amy will allow me to share a thank you with her I shall - thank you for your insights and inspiration.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #56
Cook

I remember when I was a kid, and skateboarding, and I gave my last 50 cents to a guy I saw picking stuff out of the trash....he took it.

Then he got in a NICE truck that said "scrap recycling" and drove off........

Just recently, I picked up a book called Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard....and it definitely changed my views on some things. It's a very quick and easy read. Check it out.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Corey, one doesn't have to say the word "all" in every sentence in order to be mistakenly generalizing about a large and diverse group of people.

Your words from your first post:

Most of them just don't want to go get help. They just would rather stay out in the streets and be bums where garbage food is for free and so are empty soda bottles and cans!

That is undeniably a generalization. You have the right to your opinion, and others have the right to take strong exception to it.

Things often get misunderstood very easily. It's true that I said they, most of them or them, but by no means did I mean ALL. Nor was I intentionally generalizing.

People can assume things, but I never meant all of them.

Let's just end this because I see now, that it might be coming on as a heated debate. Seems some get offended by what I say at times and no offense was meant.

I merely spoke what was on my mind like everyone else did.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Corey... I totally understand what you are saying. When I walk to the grocery store, I get approached by no less than 3 probably closer to 5 people each day. Most I walk by (on this particular path)... because you have a vibe... it's not a blanket vibe... specific to each person. The lady that told me she needed money to feed her 3 year old because the live under the bridge. I was putting my groceries in the trunk of my car... so pulled out a box of very kid friendly cereal, a bag of bagel and a BIG jar of peanut butter. Her response, "Oh we don't that" and she walked away. She's approached me many times, in different locations with different stories. The more times this happens to you (and it happens often in the city) the less likely you are to continue to listen. That doesn't mean you stop listening. There's an amputee on the same corner every day on my ride home... when the traffic is right... I give him a bottle of water... he happily accepts it. I've given him blankets in the winter too.

I didn't read Corey's statements as blanket statements at all.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Years ago I was walking in downtown Winnipeg, and we passed a really, really down and out person (either on drugs or alcohol) begging for money. The person with me said "Someone, somewhere, has baby pictures of him". That phrase has always stuck with me.
A sobering thought. I now that phrase will always stick with me, too.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #60
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

pds's post of getting into a fancy car (replete with rumble seat and HooOOOgah type horn on the side ) is uncommon, for the vast majority of homeless.

amy's point, again, was foreward thinking, with recognition of the worsening world economy.

hey, everybody wanted $5 freakin' toys and clothes from walmart, who could obtain them from horriffic, human rights and environment abusing factories in china. so now we have to pay because the giant scale of supply and demand has been tipped.

but should we forget that we're all in this boat together?

It depends on what you choose to focus, apparently. Some will remember most those who scam the system; others remember the ones who have, for whatever reason, found themselves living sad and desperate lives. The same is true whenever the subject of welfare comes up.

The comment about remembering that every street person was someone's baby once is just another way of reminding us that we shouldn't ever "forget that we're all in this boat together," if I may quote you. :-)