"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

gw posted a recipe for soup?

i thought this thread was supposed to be about being nice to homeless people.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`v taken several in, much to the embarrassment of those I was walking with at the time (but I don`t care, my friends think I`m strange anyway).
I always cook too much food anyway, so there`s always a meal here, a hot bath, a change of clothes (my wife will throw there`s in the washing machine), and medical attention (that can and Has resulted in a trip to the hospital).
Gangrene of the toes was the worst case I`v encountered a few years ago just before Christmas, the Smell is Vile!
so after a bath and some clothes that I hadn`t worn for ages, a hot meal, and a chat, I managed to convince him that he needed Urgent medical attn.
we took him to A&E where he was admitted, and left him there for the staff to do their thing.
I phoned up next day, and apparently he`d had a few hours sleep and walked out without treatment :(
we haven`t seen him since.

I often wonder about him (in particular).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
I`v taken several in, much to the embarrassment of those I was walking with at the time (but I don`t care, my friends think I`m strange anyway).
I always cook too much food anyway, so there`s always a meal here, a hot bath, a change of clothes (my wife will throw there`s in the washing machine), and medical attention (that can and Has resulted in a trip to the hospital).
Gangrene of the toes was the worst case I`v encountered a few years ago just before Christmas, the Smell is Vile!
so after a bath and some clothes that I hadn`t worn for ages, a hot meal, and a chat, I managed to convince him that he needed Urgent medical attn.
we took him to A&E where he was admitted, and left him there for the staff to do their thing.
I phoned up next day, and apparently he`d had a few hours sleep and walked out without treatment :(
we haven`t seen him since.

I often wonder about him (in particular).
You not only help others when you do what you do, but you set an example for your little one. You are a great Dad in more ways than you think. That's one of the many reasons why I value you as a freind.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
gw posted a recipe for soup?

i thought this thread was supposed to be about being nice to homeless people.
Ya know...

At least my soup is made from clean water, not like that stuff you pull out of New Jersey taps. You drink that stuff, or even cook with it, and I hear it's taps for you.

And don't you be trying to pawn off your grey water to those poor, unknowing neighbors of yours as a new flavor of organic broth. There's a limit to how far your practical jokes should go.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #75
Everymom

What a pleasure to come back and read about all the big hearts here. This is the first thread I pulled up after being away this weekend and it did my heart good. This crew is one in a million.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #76
Senior Cook

We don't really have the problems with homeless people that have been described so far here in NZ. I guess there probably are some people in this situation - but I'd guess that proportionally, there's not many.

I've been asked for money a couple of times. One in particular, I was given some spiel about needing money for petrol to get to a funeral. (I knew it was a spiel in this case... the couple must have been hanging round our Church, and tried the same thing on some friends the week before).

I've taken up a policy I learned from a very wise friend. I give money to the Salvation Army - I chose the Sallies in particular because I know that they do a lot of work with needy people in our area. If I'm asked for money, I explain that I donate to the Sallies so they can assist people who need help, and give the person asking their details. If they're really hungry / need petrol / whatever, they'll go - and I know that the Sallies have the resources to assess their needs accurately, and the ability to help.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #77
Master Chef

Back in the seventies, i "managed" a trio of food carts on the southeast corner of Central Park, Saturdays and Sundays. We sold Chinese items (Bao's, Egg Rolls) off one cart, hot dogs off the second, and Taco's, gazpacho and Guacamole' off the third.

Since everything but the sodas needed to be bought fresh-made each morning, I would, before driving home to Trenton, drive thru the Bowery and hand the leftovers out the window to the homeless. (At that time, it was estimated that there were 100,000 on Manhattan) I did that two nights, every week, winter and summer, for over two years, until we lost our vendors licenses (I'll keep the politics out, Alix).

My point is, during all that time, when These persons approached my car, only ONE TIME was my offering refused, by a young man who said indignantly, "I need money, you freakin' hippie! Food won't buy my wine!"

Only once, out of hundreds and hundreds of times..................
most of the time I would get a "God bless you" or "Thanks, I sure was hungry"..........A lot of times I got a dirty rag across my windshield, whether it needed it or not.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #78
Everymom

Bless you LT, you are a gentleman and a gentle man. (And thanks for avoiding politics, you get karma for that my friend. And stop posting such hard trivia would you? )

If the world had more generous souls like yourself we wouldn't have many uncared for souls left in the world.