The Job Fair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I had mentioned the job fair I was going to. It was Thursday and Friday. The first day 10 schools were targeted and the next day the whole district was represented. For anyone who doesn't know, I resigned from my current teaching position a couple months ago (I will still be there until the end of May). It was just a bad situation and I needed out of there. So I really need a new job.

The first day of the job fair went really well. I had never been to one and didn't know exactly what to expect. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I had a few interviews and some looked really promising. Yesterday went well too. I talked to a couple principals I had already spoken to the day before. There was one I hadn't been able to talk to the first day. She was the last one I talked to yesterday. She offered me a job right on the spot! I signed an Intent to Hire form. I just need to get all my paperwork to her by May 25th, and they will do a criminal background check, etc.

Here's the thing... Some of the schools that looked promising are closer to me, are newer, and have some lower income and higher income but mostly middle income kids. I would have loved teaching at any one of them. The school I am going to is mostly kids from poorer families and there are a lot of needs. Not many teachers were going to their booth. Most were going to the nice new schools' booths (I also went to them, as I had said).

I have to admit that my first reason for taking the job was that, as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I need a job and she was offering a job. The more I got to thinking about it though, the more I realized this is the right school for me, for a couple reasons. There are a lot of under-privileged children at this school. I feel I am more needed there. I love all kids but I have always had a soft spot for the kids who really need someone to understand them and care about them more than they might be getting all the time. Also, this is a year-round school and I will start a month earlier than the other schools. This means that there will be less of a gap in pay between my last paycheck from my current district and my first paycheck from the new one.

My new principal and I had an instant rapport. She is so friendly and outgoing. When I introduced her to James she hugged me twice and told James that I am her new 4th grade teacher. :cool: There were a couple teachers with her and they were really nice too. I am really looking forward to working at my new school. It is in a different district than where I am now. In fact, it is in another state. :cool: We live right on the South Carolina/North Carolina border (we can see North Carolina from our front door), so this school is as close as any other in the district I am in. I have heard they pay more in North Carolina, and I have also heard (from my doctor) that North Carolina's Blue Cross-Blue Shield is way better than South Carolina's.

New job for me. CAD training for James. Yay!

:) Barbara

Oh Barb,
this is such wonderful news. You are going to be a big hit I just know it..I can just see all those kids hanging on to you at recess:) I'm so happy to see you get a job where you will be appriciated for you and how much you can do for those kids. I have to say, your new principal is one smart cookie..She snapped you up in a heartbeat...YEAH!!!!!

kadesma

I am so happy for you Barbara - your life as a teacher at the new school will bring you a lot of self gradification - because these children are from lower income families they will really learn a lot from you.

Good luck.

Barbara, I am so happy for you! What a wonderful week for you and James! Those children are going to be blessed to have you as their teacher!

Yoou know, just hearing a teacher excited about her job has to be the most promising thing in favour of the next generation I've come across for a long time!

I'm happy for you, the school and the kids whose lives you will touch.

Thank you Snoop, Beth, and lulu! I really am looking forward to working there. I've already been looking through North Carolina teaching standards and have started searching for ideas for lesson plans.

That's great news, Barbara! Best of luck in the new school. With your sense of compassion, I know the kids will have a good resource in you.

And CAD training for James? That's great too - should be plenty of career opportunities in the architectural/engineering field for him!

Barbara - I know this has been a heck of a year (or more) for you guys. But bad things just do not happen to good people like you and James. Things are looking great for you both and I couldn't be happier. Love to you both! I think you will truly love year-round. My son started in year-round and then there was too much complaining. I thought it was GREAT!!!!!!!!! Little mini breaks throughout the year - what could be better?

Thanks mudbug, carolelaine, and kitchenelf. Yes, I think I will like year-round too. It is different than the year-round schools I subbed in when I lived in California. There, 3 teachers shared 2 rooms since 2/3 of the kids were there and 1/3 on vacation at all times. When one teacher went on vacation another took his/her room. I would not want to rotate like that. I liked it as a mom and as a sub (I was able to work all year). Here all the kids are one for 9 weeks and off for about 2 weeks. Then I think they have 3-4 weeks from June-August. I've always taught summer school, so I'm not used to having more than a month or so anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom