"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The Job Fair

I had mentioned the job fair I was going to. It was Thursday and Friday. The first day 10 schools were targeted and the next day the whole district was represented. For anyone who doesn't know, I resigned from my current teaching position a couple months ago (I will still be there until the end of May). It was just a bad situation and I needed out of there. So I really need a new job.

The first day of the job fair went really well. I had never been to one and didn't know exactly what to expect. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I had a few interviews and some looked really promising. Yesterday went well too. I talked to a couple principals I had already spoken to the day before. There was one I hadn't been able to talk to the first day. She was the last one I talked to yesterday. She offered me a job right on the spot! I signed an Intent to Hire form. I just need to get all my paperwork to her by May 25th, and they will do a criminal background check, etc.

Here's the thing... Some of the schools that looked promising are closer to me, are newer, and have some lower income and higher income but mostly middle income kids. I would have loved teaching at any one of them. The school I am going to is mostly kids from poorer families and there are a lot of needs. Not many teachers were going to their booth. Most were going to the nice new schools' booths (I also went to them, as I had said).

I have to admit that my first reason for taking the job was that, as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I need a job and she was offering a job. The more I got to thinking about it though, the more I realized this is the right school for me, for a couple reasons. There are a lot of under-privileged children at this school. I feel I am more needed there. I love all kids but I have always had a soft spot for the kids who really need someone to understand them and care about them more than they might be getting all the time. Also, this is a year-round school and I will start a month earlier than the other schools. This means that there will be less of a gap in pay between my last paycheck from my current district and my first paycheck from the new one.

My new principal and I had an instant rapport. She is so friendly and outgoing. When I introduced her to James she hugged me twice and told James that I am her new 4th grade teacher. There were a couple teachers with her and they were really nice too. I am really looking forward to working at my new school. It is in a different district than where I am now. In fact, it is in another state. We live right on the South Carolina/North Carolina border (we can see North Carolina from our front door), so this school is as close as any other in the district I am in. I have heard they pay more in North Carolina, and I have also heard (from my doctor) that North Carolina's Blue Cross-Blue Shield is way better than South Carolina's.

New job for me. CAD training for James. Yay!

Barbara

Old 04-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow, Barbara, that's awesome. You must feel quite relieved and excited about your future. Congratulations to both of you.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh Barb,
this is such wonderful news. You are going to be a big hit I just know it..I can just see all those kids hanging on to you at recess I'm so happy to see you get a job where you will be appriciated for you and how much you can do for those kids. I have to say, your new principal is one smart cookie..She snapped you up in a heartbeat...YEAH!!!!!

kadesma
Old 04-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

I am so happy for you Barbara - your life as a teacher at the new school will bring you a lot of self gradification - because these children are from lower income families they will really learn a lot from you.

Good luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thumbs up Way to go, Barbara!!

Barbara, congratulations!! I knew you could do it. Your new school is getting a real gem. I am so very happy for both you and James.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks everyone! I have never been so excited about making a change in schools!

Barbara
Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Barbara, I am so happy for you! What a wonderful week for you and James! Those children are going to be blessed to have you as their teacher!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
DC Grandma

Things are looking up for you two..I am so happy for you both.
Marghe

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you PA Baker and Marge. I really appreciate what you said very much.

Barbara
Old 04-22-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You just know when things are meant to be! Congratulations!!!