The joy of cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bomb

Hate to drop a bomb here, but here goes. My mother was told all her life to lose weight. 5'4" 190lbs. plus when pregnant who knows. Her first born weighed 14lbs. when he was born. My mother lived to be 91 years young. Thank our God, she got what she prayed for. She never still had her mind, she died in her sleep, and what gave out was her body. After that long, we can't expect t o run like 21.

What she always always told me was to eat things in moderation and have balance in my life. She did not believe in the word 'diet' and she was criticized for it many times by her friends and doctors. I am sure she was well aware of it but she kept moving. Even making soup from her wheelchair for her two 'boys'. She loved cooking and I know that is what kept her going. Of course, the exercise she got was trying to keep up with her family. Oh, she never smoked or drank much. She figured if it wasn't required in the bible she had no use for it. Eating margarine instead of butter was wrong to her. She drank w hole milk too. I believe she liked things in a natural state if she could get them. Always cooked from the beginning. Lot of soups. Now I know it was to 'clean' out the fridge.

I am so thankful I had her as my example. Today, if I gain few pounds I just know that in time I can lose them again. They do say losing and gaining isn't good but really I stay in a range that isn't over my limit. At least no doctor has told me to lose weight. So my goal is to t ry to make it the way my mom did. Try to live up to her expectations.

Thanks for allowing me to share my good memories. Hope I don't lose them.

Hubby is 81, I will be next month.....Moderation!!!...right on.....especially at this age, I won't do without if I really want something that's "bad for me"....LOL....Really, we eat everything, all kinds of breads, be it challah, whole wheat, sunflower, etc. etc. We eat kosher salami once in awhile, of course with kosher dill pickles! I do steak a couple of times a month.....brisket every so often.....we eat a lot of chicken, veal, pork and veggies....I make a lot of good soups in the MW. I think I've said enuf!!!!

Right ON!

Hubby is 81, I will be next month.....Moderation!!!...right on.....especially at this age, I won't do without if I really want something that's "bad for me"....LOL....Really, we eat everything, all kinds of breads, be it challah, whole wheat, sunflower, etc. etc. We eat kosher salami once in awhile, of course with kosher dill pickles! I do steak a couple of times a month.....brisket every so often.....we eat a lot of chicken, veal, pork and veggies....I make a lot of good soups in the MW. I think I've said enuf!!!!

Right on! And don't you sound happy? Beautiful!!! Sounds like you know the so called 'SECRET'! This is what I want to hear. Sounds like life is doing you good and you are surely enjoying it. Hubby too! Sounds so nice to me, that you have a hubby who enjoys life with you. Not many have kept them as well as you!

Loved your post and happy to hear it. Keep on keeping on and as you said, MODERATION! May you have many happy days together.

In The Kitchen: Thank you so much for your lovely post in answer to mine...really appreciated...btw....we were celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary last June....

Wow

Congratulations little late! Bet you can hardly believe it yourself cause you sure don't feel 60! Really an accomplishment today. One attorney told me people just can't get past being married 5 years and you did 10 times plus 10!
Have a friend who is going on almost 40 and she was child bride too. The thing that gets me is they don't look much different then the day they got married. Maybe 'small' difference but not much. Love certainly is a cure for lots of things and people just don't want to believe it. I do and wish there were more of it. Guess you know already, that is why I own so many dogs. Their love is unconditional and people should try to emulate their pets! YOu like dogs? Bet you do!

Thanks for sharing and maybe you can have 60 more.

single food

when u live alone, food takes on a whole different meaning. i always cooked fresh when my kids were growing up. no fast food except on little league night.

now i have to par it down so it is good and fresh without endless left overs.
which sometimes i do frezze in meal size packs.

lots of chicken, a little beef, some fish . even fresh veg cause a problem. takes forever for me to eat up a califlower or cabbage, etc.

so i do the best i can. and try to enjoy my meals. tonight a grilled chicken sandwich . think i will go make it now. getting hungry, lol

babe :chef:

when u live alone, food takes on a whole different meaning. i always cooked fresh when my kids were growing up. no fast food except on little league night.

now i have to par it down so it is good and fresh without endless left overs.
which sometimes i do frezze in meal size packs.

lots of chicken, a little beef, some fish . even fresh veg cause a problem. takes forever for me to eat up a califlower or cabbage, etc.
My mom says the same thing. She hates to see any food go to waste so she will often forgo things like cabbage. Also, she said it's hard to work up the enthusiasm to cook just for herself.

Actually, I've found both cabbage & cauliflower to last a very LONG time in the fridge crisper. My husband & I never use up a whole one for one meal, & I've kept both for as long as a month with no browning, turning, or taste difference. I store them in the crisper loose - not wrapped in plastic. The only thing I end up discarding is the first fresh cut I make on the leftover cabbage piece, since it's dry. I wouldn't forego either vegetable if I were single.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom