"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Master Chef

The joy of cooking

I just had to say something on this, not pointing fingers or venting but courious if anyone else ever feels this was as well:

I love cooking, I love making new recipes for the first time, and I love changing them and putting my own twist on things.

But sometimes it seems to me the love and joy of cooking are getting lost in all the chemical and health and technology talk of today. Every time I turn around there is a huge discussion on this chemical or that or some new health craze or health news, or even worse some new sensational report on how some thing that some day may some how impact some person on some part of this planet and therefore we should all huddle in fear in our basements awaiting doomsday.
My Dr. says I will be dead in ten years because I refuse to comprimise flavor by using low fat or no fat or fake and we dont think it has fat stuff in my food.
That was ten years ago, I am still here and going strong. I wash my food, I grow what I can, what I cant I buy from local farmers markets or fruit and vegetable markets. I make as much from scratch as possible using the freshest ingredients possible, and make more fruits and vegetables than meats and grains. And I believe moderation is key to all things. Even the healthiest thing, taken too far, becomes unhealthy.
And I think we have a tendancy to do that ourselves, to get so focused on all the facts and figures and whys and hows and whens that we loose site of the simple joy of slapping a burger on a grill and watching it sizzle...

Either that or its time for me to head down to the basement and lock myself securely in a corner room under a mattress...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

" because I refuse to comprimise flavor by using low fat or no fat or fake and we dont think it has fat stuff in my food. "

I won't compromise flavour either. I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation". I don't buy low fat / no fat / fake, simply because I don't like the taste, and they upset my stomach. ( Yes, it could be mind over matter). I grow what I can, I make from scratch what I can, so...if I have pork belly every 3 months, so be it.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Sous Chef

My grandfather ate fried chicken every day, drank whiskey every day and smoked. He lived until he was 86, and not in such a bad way. He lived on his own and died in his sleep peacefully.

People have been eating and doing what they want for years and living 80+. This is the age of medication. The age of low-fat this, light that and lo-cal this. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to go this route if you so choose, my point is what did people do years ago when we didn't have this stuff?

My take on it is this... you only live once. Eat what you want *in moderation* and enjoy life. If you love cheese burgers, indulge in one. If you crave fried chicken, knock yourself out. There's no point in denying what you love and makes you happy. And this goes beyond food.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Mav, I'm with you all the way.
I don't buy weird stuff either.
I eat butter daily, & I make food the way my Grandma did...with real food(!)

and honestly, who reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally likes fake food?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with you completely Maverick - I don't like the taste nor the list of nasty-sounding compromising ingredients in "fake" low-fat/no-fat food.

But I'll never convince my husband of that, so we just co-exist. Granted, he eats what I cook (& I cook with "real" food), but he buys his own "fake" sour cream for garnishing, his own "spreads" for bread, his own "egg substitute" for breakfast, etc., etc., & I'm not going to argue with him over it. I just buy my own sour cream, butter, eggs, etc., etc., & we just co-exist. Life's too short - lol!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I eat real food. I buy local when I can, and organic when I can and when it looks good. I watch my fat intake but what fat I do eat is real... either animal or vegetable and has taste and food value. I will not waste my time on earth with artificial dreck.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Indian foods are rich with oil and spices, low caloried food cannot match the taste.

And I dont like those tasteless foods.

Everyday I take a spoonful ghee(clarified butter) with steaming rice.

I dont have any problems like high blood pressure, cholesterol and other problems that said to related with high fat diet.

But I must say something that I never overeat.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

Yum! I love Indian food, always worth the trip up to Clarke St. to the Indian neighborhood there.

"Life is a journey, eat it up!" I wish I knew who said that.

I think we here on DC are on the right track with this stuff. I look around our culture and see people obsessed with health this and dangers that and yet we are an obese country consuming far far too much per person.
I look around other cultures (European, Indian, Oriental, etc) and see cultures obsessed with taste and variety and food that 'pop' and wake up the senses. And they dont seem to have nearly as many health problems as us.
Maybe its all perception, or maybe they are on to something?
Alls I know is up until ten years ago I was part of the problem, consuming tons of sugars and fats and fast foods and processed foods. I gained tons of weight and took ill so I went on the 'fad train' following the low fat low cal low carb diet ways. No help. Always made me want to eat more. Then three years ago I switched and started concentrating on making things from scratch, using fresh ingredients, and going for the rich taste. Suddenly I found myself eating less, loosing weight, and becoming healthier.

Just seems to me the more diet and low fat and low carb stuff you eat, the emptier it is and the more of it I want. Whereas the richer the food the less of it I consume. Or maybe thats what these diet companies were wanting??
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
Head Chef

Maverick2272 Your idea's are right on track. I am a retired EX Chef and when healthy came into vogue my customer's raised a lot of sand about not changing my menu one little bit. I was know far and wide as a comfort food chef and I bought from farmers markets and as much as i could it was fresh scratch cooking every day. I love to cook and my customers loved to eat my food.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
My grandfather ate fried chicken every day, drank whiskey every day and smoked. He lived until he was 86, and not in such a bad way. He lived on his own and died in his sleep peacefully.
AMEN!

We would have gotten along famously.

May we all have it as good.