The joys of eating unhealthy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! ~ Back in the day before just looking at ice cream could make me gain 10 pounds, I worked in a small office in a big corporation that was just a few miles away from a really great ice cream stand. All hand made ice cream on premise. They're still there, BTW, and we pilgrimage over when we're visiting the kids. Anyway, back to life before kids. Once or twice a summer, someone in our group would say "how about we make tomorrow an ice cream for lunch day?" No one brought their lunch on said day, and one or two of us would take orders and head over to pick pints. Not one of us eight women stopped eating from our pint until the ice cream was gone. I didn't work with any quitters!

Making fun of frybread is questionable and probably based on ignorance. From the Wikipedia article on frybread, "According to Navajo tradition, frybread was created in 1864 using the flour, sugar, salt and lard that was given to them by the United States government when the Navajo, who were living in Arizona, were forced to make the 300-mile journey known as the "Long Walk" and relocate to Bosque Redondo,..." And, "Frybread's significance to Native Americans has been described as complicated and their relationship with it conflicted. Although frybread is often associated with "traditional" Native American cuisine, some Native American chefs reject it as a symbol of colonialism."

My first thought was my grandmother saving the frying pan from breakfast and frying a slice of bread in the bacon fat for her lunch.

These days the code name for fried bread in this area is Pizza Fritte.

Making fun of frybread is questionable and probably based on ignorance. From the Wikipedia article on frybread, "According to Navajo tradition, frybread was created in 1864 using the flour, sugar, salt and lard that was given to them by the United States government when the Navajo, who were living in Arizona, were forced to make the 300-mile journey known as the "Long Walk" and relocate to Bosque Redondo,..." And, "Frybread's significance to Native Americans has been described as complicated and their relationship with it conflicted. Although frybread is often associated with "traditional" Native American cuisine, some Native American chefs reject it as a symbol of colonialism."
I don't think he is making fun of frybread. Though there is a funny spoof on, I believe Netflix that does, that is pretty much all Native American actors.

Anyway, he is talking about frying bread. As in how yummy and unhealthy can I be.

I don't think he is making fun of frybread. Though there is a funny spoof on, I believe Netflix that does, that is pretty much all Native American actors.

Anyway, he is talking about frying bread. As in how yummy and unhealthy can I be.

Yeah, I can be a bit touchy about that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure he didn't know the story behind frybread.

I have no issue with indigenous people spoofing something in their culture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom