"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Fight? What are you talking about? Didn't you see the winkie?

Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but we *always* get off topic here. It's kind of a trademark

By "start something," I meant start a conversation, working from the thread that gave rise to this one, on language. Instead you started a thread and said, "Here, talk about language!" See what I mean?
It is not a cooking conversation. I am sensitive to the basic idea of the community.

Good idea to take it over here. And I hate emoticons.

Damn despise them.

TBS

Old 09-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
It is not a cooking conversation. I am sensitive to the basic idea of the community.

Good idea to take it over here. And I hate emoticons.

Damn despise them.

TBS
Are you familiar with the idea of mansplaining? Because you're coming across as a forum-splainer.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

I'm in trouble. I can't spell for a life of me. And I always mess up idioms and for sure am terrible with pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a decent speller, though I'm more visual. Spelling bees, when they were verbal in elementary school, were harder for me than just editing text. I was killer on the written spelling tests.

I have an app called Duolingo. It's fun, and has some neat lessons. It also nags you when you haven't been there for awhile. Still trying to improve my Spanish.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #15
Master Chef

Dawg, it doesn't nag you if you delete it. Yup, personal experience.

Fox, our son loves words. Written, spoken, he has yet to meet a five-syllable word he doesn't like. Our daughter (his twin sister) loves to nag him about how he uses $2 words when a 5 cent one would do. I have to admit, though, that when he and I start to talk, I love trying to keep up with him by using fancy words, too.

You said
Quote:
Language is both a shield and a weapon. You can dismiss people who don't 'talk like you' and also load language to hurt people you don't like.
I also think that people who had a vast collection of intricate words love to "show off" when speaking to people with a more moderate vocabulary. Not always, and not every person with a large mental dictionary is like that, but I see it happen often when sitting with "intellectuals". Although I can keep up in a word game such as that, I find it so much more entertaining to just sit back, preferably with a nice adult beverage, and watch The Show.

And ya better make friends with those danged emoticons. Get the microwave down from the top of the fridge, take the old margarine tub out of it , open it up, and let those smileys play across your screen. That's right, I know where ya hid them.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Sweden did have strong navy, great weapons of war and was on the for front kicking every ones butt. But because we and Denmark holds record of most wars started between us in Europe, we didnt have time taking over the world, we were already doing that with Europe.

Why Norwegian and Swedish kids didnt play with each other, well simple, Sweden "took care" of Norway against it will and Norway was only fully freed in 1905. Many old people remember that and wouldnt let their kids mingle.

So that was a little history from Europe and a former super power, yes not only did we kick butts but also inventing things and killing Rene Decartes .

My dialect of Swedish is even more singsong then the standard one, my dear husband has had to learn how not insult people by using the wrong tonal. He is Scottish and had the luck that most Swedish sounds already existed in Scottish.

And yes I suck on the British J sound, but does a really good Scottish ch sound.

Oh and I am dyslexic.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #17
Master Chef

Sorry Trying to inject some humor.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'm of Swedish descent and grew up in Minneapolis and I'm ashamed to say that that singsong is like nails on a blackboard for me... And it irritated me to NO END that my grandparents called me "Yenny"

It's good to see that the college melds Norway and Sweden. When I was a small child the Swedes didn't let their kids play with Norwegians. I was constant.y asked how I spelled my last name ...
Every years the two countries alternate which king is going to give the Commencement address. This college has some of what are supposed to be the brightest brains on the planet. One of my customers was the President's son of Goodyear Tire in South Africa being trained to take over the company. He was called back to SA by his father. Daddy was very unhappy with the reports he was getting about his son.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Are you familiar with the idea of mansplaining? Because you're coming across as a forum-splainer.
Hysterical... this certainly splains what language is about!

Not sure I had ever heard the term GG but I thank you!

Actually I often ask someone to cool down the explanation of a topic they are extremely converse in but then go into so much detail as to make me forget my original question.

Now I will know to simply ask them to mainsplain me!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am extremely partial to puns...never met one that didn't make me groan.

Pun Away, Pun Away!