The Language thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hysterical... this certainly splains what language is about!

Not sure I had ever heard the term GG but I thank you!

Actually I often ask someone to cool down the explanation of a topic they are extremely converse in but then go into so much detail as to make me forget my original question.

Now I will know to simply ask them to mainsplain me!

I'm not sure you get it, dragnlaw. It's not a good thing.

I'm not sure you get it, dragnlaw. It's not a good thing.

no, no - I got it... but by so saying it would indicate I'm not really interested in all the other garbage they are spouting and it is OK this once to talk "down" to me. Again implying they don't know how to just answer a question but like a peacock has to show off ALL his feathers.

Actually when I think back on some of the times I have had to ask them to simplify... they can't do it. :angel::LOL:

Guys, forgive me too I am in the middle of a move, and only checking even my email every couple of days. Lots of boxes, packing tape, paperwork and planning taking up much of my day.

I can accept fourum-explainer. Not thrilled with the description, but agree to the accuracy. As a professor and educator in writing, one thing I kind of do is try to make sense of why and how to communicate information. Both in inclination and training I am prone to that mindset.

As a matter of practice, I don't perceive using a large vocabulary to be showing off, but more an idea of the precise word for the situation. I always tell my students, writing is about making choices, and usually the brief and easy, for effective writing, is more compelling than the elaborate and convoluted.

James Joyce's complex or even baroque language play for me is less preferable than more simple work from Hemingway or Dickinson. Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my favorites, I think she combines the classicist impulse with a terse sometimes abrupt sensibility.

I mainly try to encourage my students to write in the language they know and are comfortable with, but to push the boundaries of that comfort by reading more and more challenging works.

And I guess I eventually have to get comfortable with txt spk, LOL and emoticons ;0

TBS

Moving really bites.
Lots of sleepless nights.
Pack quick, tape strong,
It won't be long,
Before you're back to delight(s).

Good luck with the move. Been there. Done that. Five times since marriage! I'm hoping for one more before I have to be taken from my home feet-first.

Hope the new digs comes with a bigger, nicer kitchen. :chef:

I'm in trouble. I can't spell for a life of me. And I always mess up idioms and for sure am terrible with pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, you do just fine. English is not the easiest language to learn. If you became perfect in English, you wouldn't be the Charlie we know and love. :angel:

Sweden did have strong navy, great weapons of war and was on the for front kicking every ones butt. But because we and Denmark holds record of most wars started between us in Europe, we didnt have time taking over the world, we were already doing that with Europe.

Why Norwegian and Swedish kids didnt play with each other, well simple, Sweden "took care" of Norway against it will and Norway was only fully freed in 1905. Many old people remember that and wouldnt let their kids mingle.

So that was a little history from Europe and a former super power, yes not only did we kick butts but also inventing things and killing Rene Decartes .

My dialect of Swedish is even more singsong then the standard one, my dear husband has had to learn how not insult people by using the wrong tonal. He is Scottish and had the luck that most Swedish sounds already existed in Scottish.

And yes I suck on the British J sound, but does a really good Scottish ch sound.

Oh and I am dyslexic.
I was told that the less lilt was indicative of the social status of a person in Sweden. I am quite fond of the lilt. All of my cousins have that distinctive lilt that is part of the speech pattern in the little town in Northern MN where my mom grew up. I could always tell when she had been visiting family because her lilt returned. Offda nei!

My grandmother, who was first generation Swedish American, never could say knee, she always said ka-nee. Where I live in Canada, there is a street called Knudsen. I drove by it twice before I realized the locals pronounced it Nudsen.

I dont know what offda nei means, for me it sounds more Norwegian then Swedish.
But Swedish has change since 1900 to now, some word has gotten different meanings.

Snabbmeny here you all go, here is the most of the dialect in Sweden, old fashion and new.

What's this? I thought you were going to start something and now you're leaving us hanging?!? ;)

Was there something more you wanted to say about this?

I don't think you're bragging at all. That thread did have participants from the U.S., England and Canada, so I think there may have been a bit of international, um, intercommunication? ;) Same words with slightly different meanings and definitely different emotional baggage, i.e., peasant. I'm not sure how Mad Cook defines it, but I think there were peasants in Europe till well after WWII. We didn't and don't have that kind of construct in the U.S. I don't think Canada did/does, either.

Was there something more you wanted to say about this?
"..peasant. I'm not sure how Mad Cook defines it" Don't call someone a "peasant" in the UK. You're likely to get a thump on the nose! It's only acceptable in an historical context here (and I expect, elsewhere.)

I dont know what offda nei means, for me it sounds more Norwegian then Swedish.
But Swedish has change since 1900 to now, some word has gotten different meanings.

Snabbmeny here you all go, here is the most of the dialect in Sweden, old fashion and new.

Picture a gradpa bouncing his grandchild on his knee. Then the kid falls offda nei.:angel:

Oh knee in Sweden is Knä, with hard K and e sound. So it is Off the knee, I get it.

Mad cook, my dear older ( Scottish) daughter about her ex, He is such a sassenach... his parents are farmer but he is peasant ... *10 minutes later of insults* He is a tattiebogle crow poop on.

So as dear mum, I get all the finer nuances of the English and Scottish language from her and her father.

"..peasant. I'm not sure how Mad Cook defines it" Don't call someone a "peasant" in the UK. You're likely to get a thump on the nose! It's only acceptable in an historical context here (and I expect, elsewhere.)

I can't imagine how I would ever have occasion to call someone a peasant. Your sensitivity about it is fascinating, though.

I can't imagine how I would ever have occasion to call someone a peasant. Your sensitivity about it is fascinating, though.

It ain't mooch differen' elswere. Trailer trash - wrong side of the tracks - wrong side of the bed - etc... they are all insults to one's lineage, no matter how you say it.

It ain't mooch differen' elswere. Trailer trash - wrong side of the tracks - wrong side of the bed - etc... they are all insults to one's lineage, no matter how you say it.

I haven't called anyone that and yet I've been warned against it twice. That's what I find interesting.

It is all in perspective - I've been chastised for things that I've found out people took in with complete and utter different understanding of phrase.

My late BIL from Oklahoma, once said "Well, ain't those just the cutest little buggers you ever did see!"

All the Canadians jumped out of their skins to shush him. Up here "buggers" would be implying they practiced 'buggery'. Not a pleasant image! LOL

Whereas in the south, I'm guessing (and hoping) they are meaning cute little bugs.

oh, come on y'all...........let's get along to go along.........`i think that this is a great site to post inernational and regional affectations to share with everyone.............having lived overseas for over 20 years in 5 different countries you learn that we're all the same............we all have families, children, wives, husbands, and we want the best for all of them.........none of us want them to be hurt or be in pain, or sick, etc,. we all want our children to do well in school, we want them to like their new homes, schools, and friends............we have to work together

It is all in perspective - I've been chastised for things that I've found out people took in with complete and utter different understanding of phrase.

My late BIL from Oklahoma, once said "Well, ain't those just the cutest little buggers you ever did see!"

All the Canadians jumped out of their skins to shush him. Up here "buggers" would be implying they practiced 'buggery'. Not a pleasant image! LOL

Whereas in the south, I'm guessing (and hoping) they are meaning cute little bugs.

:ROFLMAO: dragn! My Canadian mum was just HORRIFIED when my hyper-religious, NoDak great aunt would use that expression! A lot. Obviously it did not mean the same thing. And both Mom and Aunt were former school teachers. As young as I was then, I didn't understand what the problem was, and even used the expression myself at times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom