"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Hysterical... this certainly splains what language is about!

Not sure I had ever heard the term GG but I thank you!

Actually I often ask someone to cool down the explanation of a topic they are extremely converse in but then go into so much detail as to make me forget my original question.

Now I will know to simply ask them to mainsplain me!
I'm not sure you get it, dragnlaw. It's not a good thing.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm not sure you get it, dragnlaw. It's not a good thing.
no, no - I got it... but by so saying it would indicate I'm not really interested in all the other garbage they are spouting and it is OK this once to talk "down" to me. Again implying they don't know how to just answer a question but like a peacock has to show off ALL his feathers.

Actually when I think back on some of the times I have had to ask them to simplify... they can't do it.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #23
Sous Chef

This was one of Sweden best wordsmiths. Tage Danielsson was amazing with words. And this is probibelity about Harrisburg, how ever the Swedish mean true like, if you translate it litteraly.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Guys, forgive me too I am in the middle of a move, and only checking even my email every couple of days. Lots of boxes, packing tape, paperwork and planning taking up much of my day.

I can accept fourum-explainer. Not thrilled with the description, but agree to the accuracy. As a professor and educator in writing, one thing I kind of do is try to make sense of why and how to communicate information. Both in inclination and training I am prone to that mindset.

As a matter of practice, I don't perceive using a large vocabulary to be showing off, but more an idea of the precise word for the situation. I always tell my students, writing is about making choices, and usually the brief and easy, for effective writing, is more compelling than the elaborate and convoluted.

James Joyce's complex or even baroque language play for me is less preferable than more simple work from Hemingway or Dickinson. Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my favorites, I think she combines the classicist impulse with a terse sometimes abrupt sensibility.

I mainly try to encourage my students to write in the language they know and are comfortable with, but to push the boundaries of that comfort by reading more and more challenging works.

And I guess I eventually have to get comfortable with txt spk, LOL and emoticons ;0

TBS
Old 09-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #25
Master Chef

Moving really bites.
Lots of sleepless nights.
Pack quick, tape strong,
It won't be long,
Before you're back to delight(s).

Good luck with the move. Been there. Done that. Five times since marriage! I'm hoping for one more before I have to be taken from my home feet-first.

Hope the new digs comes with a bigger, nicer kitchen.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Send a picture once I have it all set. Yes, twice the counter space, I'm thinking serious of investing in a vacuum sealer.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm in trouble. I can't spell for a life of me. And I always mess up idioms and for sure am terrible with pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Charlie, you do just fine. English is not the easiest language to learn. If you became perfect in English, you wouldn't be the Charlie we know and love.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Sweden did have strong navy, great weapons of war and was on the for front kicking every ones butt. But because we and Denmark holds record of most wars started between us in Europe, we didnt have time taking over the world, we were already doing that with Europe.

Why Norwegian and Swedish kids didnt play with each other, well simple, Sweden "took care" of Norway against it will and Norway was only fully freed in 1905. Many old people remember that and wouldnt let their kids mingle.

So that was a little history from Europe and a former super power, yes not only did we kick butts but also inventing things and killing Rene Decartes .

My dialect of Swedish is even more singsong then the standard one, my dear husband has had to learn how not insult people by using the wrong tonal. He is Scottish and had the luck that most Swedish sounds already existed in Scottish.

And yes I suck on the British J sound, but does a really good Scottish ch sound.

Oh and I am dyslexic.
I was told that the less lilt was indicative of the social status of a person in Sweden. I am quite fond of the lilt. All of my cousins have that distinctive lilt that is part of the speech pattern in the little town in Northern MN where my mom grew up. I could always tell when she had been visiting family because her lilt returned. Offda nei!
Old 09-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

And yes, people really do say offda and offda nei in Minnesota.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

My grandmother, who was first generation Swedish American, never could say knee, she always said ka-nee. Where I live in Canada, there is a street called Knudsen. I drove by it twice before I realized the locals pronounced it Nudsen.