"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #41
Master Chef

it depends if the southerners are ignorant........`i'm not and `i know what buggery means..........surely it didn't happen..........and `i hope and pray that it didn't.......

Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #42
Head Chef

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree expat!

I'm not saying they dodn't know what "buggery" meant. I'm just saying they don't have the same connotations associated to the word as others do.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I often hear the expression, "cute little bugger." Now I am not a far northerner as in Canada or a real deep southerner as in Brownsville, Texas. But here in Mass. it means an adorable toddler. I never knew it may have another connotation until today. How educational!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #44
Sous Chef

Isnt lovely?

Even in Sweden we have this, barn and unge means child but in half of Sweden one is sad lovingly and the other one is used as insult, how ever it is the opposite for the other side of Sweden. It get interesting some times.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Isnt lovely?

Even in Sweden we have this, barn and unge means child but in half of Sweden one is sad lovingly and the other one is used as insult, how ever it is the opposite for the other side of Sweden. It get interesting some times.
In Italian, there is an expression that can be said two ways. Facia Bruta`. One said with a sneer and nasty look can mean ugly face. An insult to the recipient. The other said with a smile and up tone means cute little face. Usually directed toward a child.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #46
Head Chef

We also have to distinguish between sarcasms, insults and/or innuendos, plus others I probably can't think of.

Colloquialism such as in Quebec someone in shock is considered to be "in a rainbow" "dans arc en ciel" but it is not used elsewhere (that I know of).
Old 09-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
And yes, people really do say offda and offda nei in Minnesota.
I have seen this and KNOW it to be true. So say I, so say we all .

I at the moment need more and better euphemisms for cursewords. I don't like to use foul language, particularly around my wife or other ladies. I feel it is vulgar, unnecessary and impolite.

However, the moving process is giving me more stubbed toes, things dropped on my feet, bashed shins, funny spot on the elbow, and bashed foreheads than my normal six month average in a week. I'm running out of clever imprecations, exultations, and 'ations of any kind.

And let me tell you, friends, there are only so many times in a day you can say, 'God's bloody bodkin', or 'milk and sugar' before your wife starts to look at you kind of strangely.

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #48
Head Chef

poor you foxy - moving is NOT fun

my sister's favourite is "Oh Fudge!"

wish I could learn to say that instead of what I do...

a word I hate and think is even more than vulgar, but out it pops - especially when I'm tired or stressed...

Ask Taxlady! think she was beginning to look at me and edge over to the far side of the lunch table - except it was round! LOL
Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #49
Sous Chef

erehweslefox: You could start saying Attans (18 devils) or Sjutton ( 17 devils), Nedrans ( means from below, people use it as drats) and then you can go for Satans helvete faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the last one is only used when everything goes to hel.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My brother, when he was little, used, "Son of a fish!" My grandpa's fave was, "Judas Priest!"