"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

The Language thread

Both CG and GG, Cooking Goddess and Got Garlic, suggested I start a thread on language.

Well here it is.

I tend to be quite precise on language, and as such adore puns, linguistic plays etc....

One does admit, I can be pedantic about it.

Madam I am adam,

Lets talk.

TBS

Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love language, spelling, punctuation, dumb jokes and puns.

Language away!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

You know how you have to set limits in relationships?

My wife is allowed one pun a day.

TBS
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

What's this? I thought you were going to start something and now you're leaving us hanging?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Ok let me phrase this quite careful, RPCookin and Dragon Law. have said a couple things about the use of language. So lets talk a bit. Language is both a shield and a weapon. You can dismiss people who don't 'talk like you' and also load language to hurt people you don't like.

I see RPCooking's concern. And I see why it is one. I am not bragging, but I have degrees in English, one thing I am proud of is my MFA. I read and write for a living. One of the things I'm proudest of is teaching students in college.

And I teach at community college. So, often see students, many of whom become friends and sometimes colleagues. Start off with a basic high school education. I'd love to see you read more, read better, and I have some tools. I am never going to criticize you for either your education or vocabulary.

I am quite passionate, though about education in literature. Y'all pushed that button. I think as it has nothing to do with cooking, feel free to take it to a private message? This doesn't mean I am opposed to the discussion, and the second time I've said it this week, glad I am making some friends here, but I'm sure the mods want to keep it about cooking.
Was there something more you wanted to say about this?

I don't think you're bragging at all. That thread did have participants from the U.S., England and Canada, so I think there may have been a bit of international, um, intercommunication? Same words with slightly different meanings and definitely different emotional baggage, i.e., peasant. I'm not sure how Mad Cook defines it, but I think there were peasants in Europe till well after WWII. We didn't and don't have that kind of construct in the U.S. I don't think Canada did/does, either.

Was there something more you wanted to say about this?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Nativlang is a great place on Youtube for just short language lesson.

I do love my language , I have heard so many people call it dead, but is just because they cant understand it and if we hadnt had the idea of giving dutch and British fleet wood, tar and taking over Europe you all would be speaking Swedish now.

Yes, we had settlement in USA but gave it up due to trying to take over Europe. Sorry, otherwise you would have all screamed Jävlar instead of the F word and you would have enjoyed more equal view on marriage.

And you alphabet would have 3 more letters, Å, Ä and Ö.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What's this? I thought you were going to start something and now you're leaving us hanging?!? ?
What, you wanted a language thread, and now you have it?

I kind of figured I was going a little off of cooking. I really want to be polite and a friend to all.

One of the things that makes me happy here is the depth but also the breadth of people I meet.

OK lets talk a bit about language, just because it is a good conversation and better than the alternative.

Now I will start a FIGHT! thread if I have to, I kind of like you all, and see no reason to do so.

TBS
Old 09-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Nativlang is a great place on Youtube for just short language lesson.

I do love my language , I have heard so many people call it dead, but is just because they cant understand it and if we hadnt had the idea of giving dutch and British fleet wood, tar and taking over Europe you all would be speaking Swedish now.

Yes, we had settlement in USA but gave it up due to trying to take over Europe. Sorry, otherwise you would have all screamed Jävlar instead of the F word and you would have enjoyed more equal view on marriage.

And you alphabet would have 3 more letters, Å, Ä and Ö.
Do you know of Birger Jarl? Our founding fathers in the United States looked to him. He was a Swede, if I remember? but broke up the Swede nobility in the thirteenth century.

Yes, the Brits were lucky, we should all be speaking Swedish. You should have gotten a navy sooner, and knocked out those Brits.

I make fun, but I have quite a bit of respect for Sweden. Du gamia du Fria, I have much respect for your country, and am happy to talk with you.

TBS
Old 09-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
What, you wanted a language thread, and now you have it?

I kind of figured I was going a little off of cooking. I really want to be polite and a friend to all.

One of the things that makes me happy here is the depth but also the breadth of people I meet.

OK lets talk a bit about language, just because it is a good conversation and better than the alternative.

Now I will start a FIGHT! thread if I have to, I kind of like you all, and see no reason to do so.

TBS
Fight? What are you talking about? Didn't you see the winkie?

Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but we *always* get off topic here. It's kind of a trademark

By "start something," I meant start a conversation, working from the thread that gave rise to this one, on language. Instead you started a thread and said, "Here, talk about language!" See what I mean?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

What I love about hearing language from Scandinavian countries is that to my ear, it sounds so sing song.

When I lived in Tacoma, WA, I used to type up papers for some of the students who attended the college just a couple of blocks from me. Since the college was supported by Norway and Sweden, most of the students were from there. I loved listening to the lilt of the spoken word.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What I love about hearing language from Scandinavian countries is that to my ear, it sounds so sing song.

When I lived in Tacoma, WA, I used to type up papers for some of the students who attended the college just a couple of blocks from me. Since the college was supported by Norway and Sweden, most of the students were from there. I loved listening to the lilt of the spoken word.

I'm of Swedish descent and grew up in Minneapolis and I'm ashamed to say that that singsong is like nails on a blackboard for me... And it irritated me to NO END that my grandparents called me "Yenny"

It's good to see that the college melds Norway and Sweden. When I was a small child the Swedes didn't let their kids play with Norwegians. I was constant.y asked how I spelled my last name ...