"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

We're all assuming Fats made a decision to stay behind in spite of the orders to the contrary. It could be that it was out of his control due to illness or injury or something else entirely. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than condemning him.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

This is such a bad, sad situation. I've never understood why people who could go, didn't. But then, many times in Florida, my own parents refused to go when warned. The fact is, there are so many warnings, that people get inured to them. "Everyone" knew that if a serious hurricane hit NO, it would be a disaster beyond American comprehension. AFter all, it was 11' below sea level, and the levee is at least 15' high. I'm dissappointed in our government's response. And I'm especially sad that the one thing I told hubby when the hurricane looked to hit NO: "Hon, if that hits there will be disaster that may result in riots during the aftermath." I'm quite disappointed in the speed of response ... I think we got aid to the tsunami victims in southeast Asia faster. I fear we're going to see repurcusions on this one for even longer than the many years it will take to rebuild the infrastructure of the gulf coast.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
Head Chef

I started out being angry and unsympathetic with those who stayed and didn't evacuate. But ya know, not everyone has transportation. Not everyone has money for a ride, a motel, etc. Not everyone has friends or family they can run to. Then I heard of a woman who was going to go to a shelter - but they told her she couldn't bring her little dog. She chose to stay rather than abandon her pet. I can soooo relate to that. There's no way I could have walked away and left my dogs. period! i'm so sorry for all those who have had to make difficult choices...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
texas you'll be happy to know it was just reported on the news he was found safe with his family. don't know where they found him but he's safe
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
We're all assuming Fats made a decision to stay behind in spite of the orders to the contrary. It could be that it was out of his control due to illness or injury or something else entirely. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than condemning him.
I am not condemning him by any means. I'm just saying that he's the same as everybody else. No more, no less... and even if he's not feeling well or is injured, I'm ASSUMING that he had the information, means and opportunity to get out.

I just get tired of hearing of missing celebrities at this point, while we're looking at video images of thousands of others who are still at serious risk. I really couldn't care less that there may be once-famous people who are unaccounted for.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
Master Chef

I just heard that they rescued him from his roof overnight.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
texas you'll be happy to know it was just reported on the news he was found safe with his family. don't know where they found him but he's safe
WOOHOO, I'm so glad. I wish they all had as happy endings.
but, they say that his wifes wherabouts is unknown.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ino/index.html