"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

To expect gender, male, to remember to put the seat down, is exactly the same as expecting gender, female to put the seat up. Not checking the seat is an act of forgetfulness, that is gender neutral. Males should bear no more blame than females.
I could not agree more.

I have never understood the response that women give of falling in. Do you not look where you are going? Would you want the door left open too so that you do not walk into the door? When I walk into a bathroom, even if it is the middle of the night, I open my eyes, turn on the light and pay attention to my surroundings.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Barbara L;701583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think I told once what happened to my aunt and her step-dad. She didn't want to wake anyone up when she got up during the night, so she didn't turn on the light. She went into the bathroom and sat right on her step-dad's lap! He hadn't wanted to wake anyone up either!

Barbara
PeppA did that once to me. I was happily doing my "bidness" on the throne. It was dark, as I didn't want to wake her (the bathroom was adjacent to our bedroom, and the light would have disturbed her). She got up, and walked into the bathroom. I THOUGHT she just wanted a glass of water, but then she turned around and started to sit ON ME! I gave her a quick poke in the back with my index finger, and she can unglued!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

[QUOTE=AllenOK;701674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post

It was dark, as I didn't want to wake her (the bathroom was adjacent to our bedroom, and the light would have disturbed her).
Couldn't you have closed the bathroom door and/or bedroom door? Unless your doors are made of glass I do not see how the light would penetrate to a disturbing level.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Hubby was raised in a house where you not only put the seat down, but the lid as well. Many moons ago, Abby or Anne (don't remember which)(surely most of you are old enough to remember who I'm talking about) went to experts. Lid up or down? The experts told her that a toilet flush actually splatters microscopic stuff (hey, I'm no scientist) for something like 10 or 12 feet. That, in fact, not only the seat, but as hubby insists, lid, should be down when you flush. Think about it. Where is YOUR toothbrush?
Ditto here, lid goes down as well before the flush. But again, it was just what I was taught since child, didn't know there was an actual reason behind it. Very interesting to know this.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
Everymom

OMG, I'm howling here. I can just see some poor befuddled woman sitting down on her hubby's lap.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

most jokes cease to be funny when someone finds a need to discuss them. i'm not sure why i read through this thread, knowing it would just ruin it for me.

unfortunately, it's made me wonder if the women who go temporarily blind at night ever sit on a closed lid (i hope your control and timing is good). also, do you wash your hands with your eyes closed? how do you find the sink, soap, and towels?

you do wash up, don't you?

ya see, not funny anymore.

gb, i just read an article about the spray from a flushing toilet. the toothbrush thing is gross.
thankfully, i've always had pets, so i was trained at a young age to keep the lid closed. small birds have been drowned after trying to take a bath in the toilet, and dogs have no shame. cats seem to have it down right. well, except for connie's.

ok, getting back to funny, has anyone ever plastic wrapped a toilet? that'll wake you up...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

[quote=GB;701677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Couldn't you have closed the bathroom door and/or bedroom door? Unless your doors are made of glass I do not see how the light would penetrate to a disturbing level.
GB, I'm not the one who said this.

Barbara
P.S. Ah, it appears that the quote function is not working correctly. It is not attributing the quotes to the proper people.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #28
Master Chef

As far as falling into the toilet when the seat is left up, I assume most women are like me in that I rarely go an entire night without having to make a wee hours run to pee. This usually means in the dark, without my glasses on, and not quite awake. In a previous life I had an ex who insisted that seat up was OK, but didn't do either consistently. He thought it was funny when his blind, going in the dark wife fell in.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

weakest arguement ever.

smart people learn after a failure or two. only a woman would think that they could change some guy's admittedly bad habits, rather than simply check to see the positional status of the seat during the execution of the sortie.

and i'm beginning to get grossed out about the washing up thing. no rebuttals? not one?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
and i'm beginning to get grossed out about the washing up thing. no rebuttals? not one?
Yes, I wash up. Yes I've plastic wrapped the throne.

No, I have no knowledge of the Vaseline being on the seat. Nope, not a single bit of knowledge.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote