"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidrite View Post
Buckytom and me after a hunt.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #42
Executive Chef

wow maidrite, that's impressive.

pacanis, that is a Mossberg 640 KB 22 mag WMR Chuckster..I've used this rifle for over 30 years, was dh's from his childhood, looks like it has hollow point rimfires in the cartridge. Donno, dh loads it for me, I just shoot them. I used to have an old 9 shot revolver that I loved, would have to ask dh the make, but it started to misfire so he traded it to a gunshop for other revolvers. This is one sport that I seem to be a natural for, but arthritis in my hands does not make it enjoyable anymore. I target practice about once a year though. We have a really nice place set up for target practice just down from the house.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Oh Lordy, what did I start?

Pacanis, I know what you mean by "living out where there are no shooting restrictions". We're outside city limits. I haven't seen anything that needed to be taken care of, but we have had coyotes come up to our neighbor's yard (he had chickens at the time). I've been told that at the small lake about 10 miles away, there are a LOT of feral hogs running around (open season on them!). Apparently there are some mountain lions eating the hogs, as they've been spotted. One of our neighbors told us that someone else's dog was killed by what was thought to be a black bear. While I doubt that, there is ample habitat here for them, as just to the north of the road we live on is a large expanse of trees, and a lake on the other side of that area.

Is that shotgun of yours semi-auto? There have been a series of break-ins in the vacant house next to ours. I do think that's over with for now, as the property owner is now living there, remodelling it for sale.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

I've got coyotes, too, but have only seen one of them once. I doubt I would shoot them though.... I read where if you kill the ones you already have, you'll get two families that take over their territory. My shooting is basically woodchucks, raccoons, opossums.... I shot a raccoon two years ago I know would have tested positive for rabies if the state was accepting them at the time. He was one squirrely raccoon for sure.

Yes, it's a semi-auto shotgun. Patterned off of the AK-47, so it can take a lot of abuse. There are more mods available for the 12 ga, but I thought having a .410 would be neat. Little recoil, not as loud, but I didn't know at the time the ammo was more expensive.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #45
Head Chef

WOW, you guys are funny.
Maidrite-that was hilarious.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #46
Master Chef

My husband has a gun cabinet, too.......believe me it's locked and the bullets are kept in his closet on a top shelf...........most of them belonged to his father and grandfather......we also have a deer head trophy in his closet.......no way were we hanging that in the house where it could be seen........just the thought makes me gag.........I know........I'm not Diana the Huntress.........sorry........
Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #47
Executive Chef

How about these?

Those steaks are 24 oz Ribeyes. I had to prep a menu item, and that's how it starts. Of course, I ended up cutting them in half, cutting a pocket, stuffing them, then wrapping in bacon. The end product looks more like a Filet Mignon.

Also, there's the knife in the photo. That's a 15" hollow-ground slicer. Plus 4" for the handle. If it were a little thicker at the spine, it could double as a short-sword.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Georgeous steaks, but I'm a purist. Seems like such a shame to stuff them and wrap with bacon.

My wheel barrow. As you can see, it doubles as my snow shovel. Plus I have a walk behind Toro and also one one of those electric jobs, but really I just like moving stuff around with my loader. Those heavy equipment hightway workers have it made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter'07tractor.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	5635  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #49
Master Chef

My goodness, Allen, those ribeyes are to die for.......and I want your knife, too......the doctor here probably doesn't want you to send it to me.......the clinic has stitched me up twice........she actually had the nerve to tell me to get rid of my Santuko....is she nuts?????
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
Executive Chef

I'm with pacanis on this one. Take those georgeous pieces of beef, salt and pepper (or maybe a little Montreal Steak Seasoning), and cook on the grill to desired doneness.

Although what I do with those at work is very popular, as well. But then, I stuff those with a killer mushroom d'uxelles.

That knife is RAZOR sharp. I keep it that way. I've tagged myself numerous times with it. Luckily none of them required stitches.