"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Senior Cook

My sister and I went to the one up in her neck of the woods up in Alpharetta area, and didn't realize that we needed to make reservations for one. So we decided to wait 45 minutes for a table to open up, but decided to leave after 15 minutes 'cause she was too hungry to wait. What also threw me off was the smell. It was probably the oil in the pots but the smell was a bit off-setting. Not good for a first impression. We'll probably try again at a later date (complete with reservation) and brave the smell and see how it is compared with our favorite Fondue place called 'Dante's Down The Hatch' in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I clicked on this expecting to see some kind of stuff about geography and immigration. The Melting Pot is a restaurant?
Me, too, Alix. I've never heard of the restaurant. I expected some discussion of blended cultures/foods.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a link to the restaurant. If you put 01821 in the zip code finder you can Click on one of the choices it pulls up and you can then view the menu that way.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Guess another source of my confusion was that it was in "Off Topic.." and not the "Road Forum."

Oh, well. The closest one to me is north of St. Louis, which is nearly 3 hours away.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
Head Chef

It's a novelty place. Not bad, not great, overpriced.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Who has been and what were your impressions?

Basically what I have taken from it is that it is way too expensive and the food is mediocre, but we will have a very good time.

exactly.

It is a good time, and worth doing once, but in all honesty...you could do the same thing at home for a third the price, but it IS a good time.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I guess I will just make sure to have a few drinks to lube my sense of mediocrity.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
GB - no matter what you will have a good time becaue of the company you will be with!

I went several years ago - it was a llllooooonnnnnggggg meal - you cook EVERYTHING yourself - all meats, seafoods, veggies, etc. and you eat very sssssllllooooowwwwww because each piece takes a while to cook. Another thing I remember was that we "smelled" when we got home -- my said we smelled like fried shrimp. Its fun to try and glad I did but I wouldn't eat dinner there again - maybe cheese fondue and dessert! But like I said, you are going to have fun so enjoy!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Head Chef

GB, you have heard the truth. We use to have a better fondue restaurant years ago; this one is expensive and subpar. I would have to agree with Andy--dine elsewhere and have dessert there if you feel you must experience the place.

Or better yet, invite the couple over and make fondue at home. Raclette anyone?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
Master Chef

Same here, we have gone twice so far. The first time we did everything, first the veggies and appetizers then the surf and turf entree then the dessert.
The second time around we had dinner elsewhere and just had the dessert. For the two of us doing everything plus only a couple drinks plus tip it was $160. The second time we spent around $80 I believe with drinks and dessert and tip.
Yes it does take a long time to go thru everything as you cook it then dip it ect as you go along. But, we also had a lot of fun doing it too, and really enjoyed the time there. One of those things where we remembered more about the time spent then the food consumed, except for the dessert!! That part was awesome...