The Melting Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I've not been there, kinda out of my price range but I hear it's lovely. If you're with friends, you have a great time! Enjoy!

HuH! I just typed in my zip and it seems I have one 18 miles away. Who knew?
The menu looks good, prices don't look higher than normal for couples combos. But if I'm doing my own cooking, the prices could be better, yes. I guess they're billing for extended time you're there. Less turn over.

And expensive drinks, about $5 each for wine and more for mixed drinks. I think they had one drink on there that was $8.
Still, if ya wanna impress on Valentines Day... LOL.

i like it .. i think the food could be better .. but i enjoy the whole process ..
have fun ...

And expensive drinks, about $5 each for wine and more for mixed drinks. I think they had one drink on there that was $8.
Still, if ya wanna impress on Valentines Day... LOL.

Those prices are bargains here!

GB -- Phantom Gourmet had a nice piece on Meting Pot's desserts today.

Yeah the drink menu looked more like $10-$15 per drink.

I am very much looking forward to dessert Jenny. No matter what, they can not make chocolate bad ;)

GB, I went there in May 2008 for my birthday. Yes, it is expensive. Our bill for the 7 of us was over $300. But we had a good time. The meal comes out in courses. First we had a cheese fondue. We had the traditional Swiss cheese fondue. With it they served several types of bread and apple wedges. For the salad I choose the Caesar. Then we had the main course. I had the French Quarter (cajun spiced andouille sausgage, chicken, filet mignon, and shrimp) for my entree. It was spicy and I loved the flavors. For dessert we had the Flaming Turtle - milk chocolate, caramel, and chopped pecans in which we dipped brownies, marshmallows, strawberries, etc.

The food was good. But the best thing was the experience. It took us at least a couple of hours to have our meal. The fondue and leisurely pace of eating allowed us time to laugh, talk, and really enjoy the meal and the company of each other. I would go back, but only for special occasions because it is expensive.

Last edited:
GB, I went there in May 2008 for my birthday. Yes, it is expensive. Our bill for the 7 of us was over $300.

Wow we must be pigs. Out bill for 4 was close to that :LOL:

Well the verdict...We had a lot of fun. The food was decent, but certainly not worth the price. The place did not smell (aside from one whiff I got while walking to our table). We enjoyed the layout of the place. It was set up so that every table was private. You could not see anyone else so it had an intimate feel which was just right for this type of meal.

The menu was a bit confusing even after our waiter explained it to us. I understood what he was saying, but everyone else at the table was a bit lost so I had to take charge and lead us in what we ordered.

We did every course. The cheese course was very nice, but it was not a lot of cheese. I would have liked that to be twice as large.

The main courses came with a decent amount of food. I could have kept eating, but I have a bottomless stomach sometimes. We got three different types of entrees. Two were meat and fish that were unseasoned. The third was a Cajun spiced entree with sausage, chicken, and shrimp. I really enjoyed that one. The other non seasoned ones were just seasoned by the broth they cooked in and the dipping sauces, none of which were anything terribly exciting.

The chocolate was delicious, but there was not a lot of it. We ran out of things to dip in it before we ran out of chocolate so if there was not a lot of chocolate to begin with then you can tell how skimpy the dippers were. There were 4 marshmallows, four small pieces of banana, one small piece of cheesecake, a few very very very small strawberry slices, and a few very small pieces of pound cake. It was very yummy, but just a taste.

We were there for 4 hours. It was a very leisurely meal. One one major complaint was that the booth we were in was not very comfortable. If I am going to sit somewhere for 4 hours it had better be kind to my body. This was not. I am in a lot of pain by the time we left.

I would not go back again by choice. I am glad we did it once and I am glad I went in with low expectations because it was able to exceed what I thought it would be. If a group of people were going and I had no choice then I would still have fun going again, but if asked I would say I would rather go somewhere else.

For others in SE VA, I've not been to the Melting Pot (there's one at the Oceanfront), but I've been to Cordials, the fondue place on Court Street in downtown Portsmouth, and it's very good. We went once for appetizers (cheese course) and dessert (they have, I think, four different flavors of chocolate to choose from), and a couple of times for dinner, and enjoyed it both times.

They also have a Women Who Wine wine-tasting night every third Tuesday of the month, including complimentary appetizers (those were a tad skimpy). It's a beautiful place; we really enjoyed it and thought it was a good value.

A Melting Pot opened here in Henderson, NV a year ago. We had planned on going but wanted to wait and see what the feedback was. Several friends and several restuarant critic said it was very expensive and just so-so. Would not return. I got a copy of the menu and I have to agree, it IS expensive. I don't mind eating at upscale places and what is expensive to others may be average to me and vice versa so you have to decide for yourself. But this place is out of line I think. No one seems to think the food is worth the price.

Wow editing this post after reading the new menu. Apparently they lowered their prices and cleaned up their act. Heres the site for the one near me:
Click here for menu

Wow we must be pigs. Out bill for 4 was close to that :LOL:

Well the verdict...We had a lot of fun. The food was decent, but certainly not worth the price. The place did not smell (aside from one whiff I got while walking to our table). We enjoyed the layout of the place. It was set up so that every table was private. You could not see anyone else so it had an intimate feel which was just right for this type of meal.

The menu was a bit confusing even after our waiter explained it to us. I understood what he was saying, but everyone else at the table was a bit lost so I had to take charge and lead us in what we ordered.

We did every course. The cheese course was very nice, but it was not a lot of cheese. I would have liked that to be twice as large.

The main courses came with a decent amount of food. I could have kept eating, but I have a bottomless stomach sometimes. We got three different types of entrees. Two were meat and fish that were unseasoned. The third was a Cajun spiced entree with sausage, chicken, and shrimp. I really enjoyed that one. The other non seasoned ones were just seasoned by the broth they cooked in and the dipping sauces, none of which were anything terribly exciting.

The chocolate was delicious, but there was not a lot of it. We ran out of things to dip in it before we ran out of chocolate so if there was not a lot of chocolate to begin with then you can tell how skimpy the dippers were. There were 4 marshmallows, four small pieces of banana, one small piece of cheesecake, a few very very very small strawberry slices, and a few very small pieces of pound cake. It was very yummy, but just a taste.

We were there for 4 hours. It was a very leisurely meal. One one major complaint was that the booth we were in was not very comfortable. If I am going to sit somewhere for 4 hours it had better be kind to my body. This was not. I am in a lot of pain by the time we left.

I would not go back again by choice. I am glad we did it once and I am glad I went in with low expectations because it was able to exceed what I thought it would be. If a group of people were going and I had no choice then I would still have fun going again, but if asked I would say I would rather go somewhere else.

GB, this is what I tried to describe to you but everyone's taste is very subjective. Usually, at places like that it is more sizzle than steak. As for chocolate fondue--it is easy to do at home and you can do a better job of it. lol

Back
Top Bottom