"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?
NO! Absolutely not. Never! 31 39.24%
YES! It's idiotic not to! 30 37.97%
I don't care. What's the difference 6 7.59%
I suppose so, some day 8 10.13%
It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I really don't care either way. If we keep the current system, then easier for myself and other cooks/chefs but if they convert to metric, so be it. We adjust to it and move on.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

I would appreciate it - no more double measurements in recipes ;)

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Executive Chef

When I was in college, and just starting, we were converting recipes up and down. We were told that we wouldn't have to deal with the metric recipes. Guess what? The instructor gave them to us anyway. I found that scaling recipes up/down in metric was MUCH easier than American/Imperial.

My pyrex 2-c and 4-c measuring cups have metric on them as well. My kitchen scale can do oz or grams. My jewelry scale does grams, accurate to 0.1 g.

I'd need a new knob on my oven, with the Celcius degrees instead of Farenheit. I'd also need new measuring spoons, and measuring cups (the 1, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 c type).

Distance is going to be fun. All those highway signs. Not to mention that some things are just going to clash. This country was surveyed using miles, and property is measured in feet. Heck, the street grid here in Tulsa is laid out on the section lines, so major surface streets are every mile.

I used to have some javascript calculators that I wrote on a webpage that would convert temp, grams-to-oz, and mL-to-teaspoons. I kept that webpage stored on my hard drive, so I wouldn't need internet access to convert recipes. However, I lost that when I lost my previous laptop. There are however, many different metric-imperial conversion websites out there.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
Head Chef

Any 'controversy' would soon pass once the public realized it wasn't a matter for discussion. I get so tired of good ideas dying in this country because a vocal majority think it's going to be too hard.

I, like many others, was taught the metric system in school with the belief that conversion was coming soon. I even remember road signs along the interstate highway system with distances labled in both miles an kilometers. Those are now gone. Sure, a lot of things ARE labled both ways, but I'd still like to see it adopted as an American standard.

Other countries converted to the metric system in the not so distant past (Australia) and it's working out fine. I, for one, would rather talk in millimeters rather than 8ths or 16ths of an inch.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
Other countries converted to the metric system in the not so distant past (Australia) and it's working out fine. I, for one, would rather talk in millimeters rather than 8ths or 16ths of an inch.
It's a free country. Who's stopping you from talking metric?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It would be an interesting exercise, for those of us who desire, to convert to metric on our own. That way, when and if it becomes the "system," we'll have already adapted.

There's nothing to say we can't do that.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I'm surprised at all the opposed. there seem to be many!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
It would be an interesting exercise, for those of us who desire, to convert to metric on our own. That way, when and if it becomes the "system," we'll have already adapted.

There's nothing to say we can't do that.
Actually I think those of us who post in DC ought, as a matter of courtesy, consider the significant number of our members who aren't as familiar with our units of measurement. I will try more often to show both units. We would all thereby become more comfortable with both systems. Should I fail or forget in some instance I beg the same degree of reciprocal tolerance.

Katie, I think it is only a critical number of us "converting on our own" that will truly change the "system." After all, isn't that the lesson, or at least the hope, from our younger days?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
a very clever & snarky physics prof i had waaaay back in high school said that the only way our hidebound country was going to finally switch was if someone just went and changed all the highway signs overnight. not like the distance would be any different at all, still an hour from here to mom's for example, just in kms now instead of miles. people would figure out their own mental concepts & conversions in no time if it just *was*. the slow change-over plan doesn't do any favors, but simply gives people the excuse to choose to not pay attention to anything new. just do it already!

i'm a scientist, so *everything* in my head already is metric (ok, except for miles per hour whilst driving). i have NO luck at all converting oz/lb/pints/bla bla bla. all that wacky stuff makes no sense whatsoever, and i'm more than ready for the long promised change to hurry up and get here already.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I say no. It's hard enough for me to understand it as it is. And then I'll have to go back and learn this stuff all over again ??? Heck no.