"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?
NO! Absolutely not. Never! 31 39.24%
YES! It's idiotic not to! 30 37.97%
I don't care. What's the difference 6 7.59%
I suppose so, some day 8 10.13%
It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #21
Head Chef

Need to convert ounces to grams or fluid ounces to liters? Just type it into your google toolbar.

Type "26 milliliters = ? ounces" into google, and you will get

"26 milliliters = 0.879164587 US fluid ounces"

Works for any conversion--pounds to grams, feet to miles, kilometers to inches, whatever. Don't forget the question mark.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Thumbs down

Nah, it would mess up the football fields.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

We're nuts for not having already adopted the metric system. I think it would be a good global political statement (look! The US isn't as ethnocentric as we thought!) plus it would make international travel much simpler. As the global economy grows more and more of us will be traveling overseas with greater regularity. Plus it would help in coordinating with foreign troops. Has anyone heard the fabled story of the satelite launch where the conversion was botched and the satellite missed it's target and flew into space? Not sure if it's true but it's certainly plausable.

I personally feel that the gradual changeover would be ineffective. Nobody would do it until the last minute anyway and according the the 1980's mandate aren't we supposed to be metric already? I propose a cutoff date. For example on July 4th of 2010 all products must be changed over to metric. You will buy litres of gasoline (providing a better apples to apples view of the world oil market), you will buy litres of milk, signs will be in kilometers etc.

As the economy shifts to a more global scale and technology brings us ever closer together demand for a unified measurement system will grow. The english system is outdated and inefficient. Plus metric makes science class much easier :o)
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJonah
Has anyone heard the fabled story of the satelite launch where the conversion was botched and the satellite missed it's target and flew into space?
Good point. If a rocket scientist can't figure it out, then who can
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

I think it is crazy for us not to change. Metric is a much easier system. We are dealing with a global economy now and it only makes sense that we all "speak the same language". So many other countries have made the switch and have done it relatively easily. It is insane to think the same could not happen in the USA.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #26
Senior Cook

It would be extremely hard for me, my mind is not mathematically geared to conversions. I would definitely have to have a book of conversions around so I wouldn't screw up a recipe.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
I think it would be a good global political statement (look! The US isn't as ethnocentric as we thought!)
I just don't believe people would think that.
Quote:
You will buy litres of gasoline
Will they still cost whatever plus 9/10ths cent?
Quote:
you will buy litres of milk
I already do. 3.78 liters to be precise. It says so right on the label next to 1 gallon pursuant to the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
We are dealing with a global economy now and it only makes sense that we all "speak the same language".
I'm all for improved communication but the thrust of the metricationists is not bilingualism but a ban on English measurements.
By 12/31/09 all products sold in Europe (with limited exceptions) will be required to have only SI-metric units on their labels. Dual labeling will not be permitted. At that point US companies would either have different labels for EU exports or show only the metric unit in the US, a practice currently forbidden under FPLA.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #28
Everymom

You know, the conversion thing isn't as hard as everyone seems to think. You just need to memorize a few things and then you can calculate easily. For example a teaspoon is 5 ml...making a US tablespoon 15 ml. (In the UK and Oz however, a tablespoon is 20 ml.) Once you memorize a few of the measurements you use regularly the conversion is easy.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
Master Chef

I voted Yes. I probably would have not use terms as strong as you put it there, but indeed, market analists have been talking about it for a while, saying that metric system would open doors for more business around the world and would make up for the conversion expensess in no time.

As far as using meric system it doesn't get any easier. if you know how to count till 10 you pretty much know how to use metric system. Simply because everything is in 10s. And what is the difference if you have to measure a cup, for example, you have to have a mesuaring cup. If you have to mesure 200 grams you use scale instead. I don't understand the problem. On the other hand advantage of using metric is obvious. Say you need to multiple or scale down the recipe. So instead of 3 cups 2 table spoons and 1 and a half tea spoon in the result you get 735 gramms (for example). So, what's the big deal. You are putting product on the scale anyway, what is the difference how much you put there, thescale will tale you exactly what you have there. How much easier can it be?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt
Good point. If a rocket scientist can't figure it out, then who can

They did not have to figure anything out. Just one group was working in Standard system and the other in metric. There was lack of comunication. That is simply stupid. But again, if there was only one system the mistale like that would not have happened.