The Metric System in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?

• NO! Absolutely not. Never!

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • YES! It's idiotic not to!

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I don't care. What's the difference

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • I suppose so, some day

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
There is no doubt the metric system is simpler and more straightforward.
The advantages are not just relative to single measurements (weight or dimensions) and relationships to bigger/smaller units, but also when converting volume to weight... To me, is an absolute YES so we can use our brains for more productive tasks rather than memorize how many liquid oz. has a gallon.

For a few years after they converted to metric in Australia, my father used to convert temperatures, speeds and distances back to imperial. But after a while he just stopped. He just started to know that 26º C is a lovely forecast, 130 km/h is too fast to drive and a 2 km walk is not that far. My father was an old stick in the mud but he managed very well.

I'm grateful that people like my father changed their thinking so that their kids could use the same measures as most of the world and wouldn't be stuck trying to divide by 8 or 12 or 16 or some other random number. Multiples of 10 are so much easier to calculate.

We converted here in the UK back in the 70s and still have dual systems. Metric is taught in schools so gradually the bias is going towards the metric and as a teacher, I have to do all the work in metric units. Us oldies still go and buy a pound of meat.

Food is mostly labelled in metric especially as the European Union is trying to force metrication through and most food supplies are sold throughout Europe.

As someone else said, you start to know the rough comparisons eg a lb is approx the same as 450g, a pint is about 600ml. I still find miles & kilometers hard to compare.

Having to go through the exact opposit, let me tell you, it was probably harder.
Metric is perfectly logical and simple.
Going from there to perfectly illogical measurements - now that is hard!
And just think, how much more accurate measurements are if you use grams for instance.
And how much easier is multiplying by 10 is.
That's all metric is about
1x10=10x10=100x10=1000
Weight, linear measurements, distances all the same principal.
Isn't that easier?
1 mile is 1.6 km (or 16000m)
I have no idea how many yards in a mile, but I know there are 1000m in a km.
Before I make it look more confusing, I think the opposition is only about a mindset. Nobody can argue the logic.
The whole world is using metric (well almost), why not we?

I skipped over most of the discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything. Having grown up in the US and been living in Europe the past 4 years, I have absolutely no preference either way as I have learned to calculate from either one. However, most of the world uses metric, and so should the US. I think this not because of everyday measurements such as footsize, clothes, or cooking reasons, but because of things I consider to be more important get messed up because of the difference, i.e. scientific collaboration. I remember not long ago that something with the building of the International Space Station got messed up because someone forgot to convert imperial to metric. Thats a 300 odd million dollar mistake.

I grew up in Colombia and we learned both. Metric was what was used when we were away from school. I don't really care oneway or the other but I think that when mutliple cultures are involved on a project they should ... before the project gets under way ... agree to one or the other to avoid expensive "do-overs".
Not worth much, but that is my opinion.

mitmondol said:
Having to go through the exact opposit, let me tell you, it was probably harder.
Metric is perfectly logical and simple.
Going from there to perfectly illogical measurements - now that is hard!
And just think, how much more accurate measurements are if you use grams for instance.
And how much easier is multiplying by 10 is.
That's all metric is about
1x10=10x10=100x10=1000
Weight, linear measurements, distances all the same principal.
Isn't that easier?
1 mile is 1.6 km (or 16000m)
I have no idea how many yards in a mile, but I know there are 1000m in a km.
Before I make it look more confusing, I think the opposition is only about a mindset. Nobody can argue the logic.
The whole world is using metric (well almost), why not we?
I have known since early childhood that there are 5,280 feet in a mile. I have never once found any useful application for this fact. I strongly doubt knowing there are 1,000 meters in a km. would be any different.

Some of you seem to think that if you only just explain the metric system system a little slower, or a little louder, those of us so unfortunately dim-witted that we haven't yet figured it out, will gratefully jump on the bandwagon. Here's the crux of it. I can speak metric, I just don't want to.

Skilletlicker, no one is trying to tell you to DO anything. And the fact that most of the world uses metric is an indicator of how easy it is to use.

Just because you've known forever that there are so many feet in a mile is not relevant to what folks are saying about the metric system being a base ten system. You had to learn a specific number and memorize it. What folks are saying about the metric system is that you don't HAVE to do that. All you need to do is add a zero or two at the end of the number instead of memorizing things like 5280ft/mile.

No one is intending to slam you or belittle you in any way. No one has indicated you are dimwitted at all. I have followed this quite closely to be sure this thread stayed on track. People have strong opinions one way or another. They are as entitled to theirs as you are to yours.

I was trying to reduce a sauce recipe today from 8 servings to 3 and I must tell you... Can someone explain to me why there are cups, pints, ounces and quarters ? oh, and some are in fractions while other in regular numbers ?

Where is the metric system when you need it ? LOL
The entire world (minus USA, UK and some other countries I am missing) can't be wrong.

Alix said:
Skilletlicker, no one is trying to tell you to DO anything. And the fact that most of the world uses metric is an indicator of how easy it is to use.
. . .
No one is intending to slam you or belittle you in any way. No one has indicated you are dimwitted at all. I have followed this quite closely to be sure this thread stayed on track. People have strong opinions one way or another. They are as entitled to theirs as you are to yours.
Alix, I didn't think anyone slammed or belittled me and I don't think I said or implied that any one was not entitled to their opinion however my last post reads more provocatively than intended. The point I'm trying to make is that the measurement system we use is a part of the culture not unlike language.

You say no one is trying to tell me to DO anything but read back through the posts and notice how many of them assume that if the US "converts" the difficulties like following recipes written using imperial measurements will be somehow relieved. What is going to provide that relief? It would be useful to explore exactly what various posters mean by "metric conversion."

It has been said, over and over again, that the metric system is easier to learn, remember and calculate with. I don't think anybody is arguing that point, however it does not logically follow that the imperial system should therefore be abandoned in favor of metric. If it did then all the arguments used in this thread would logically necessitate selecting the easiest language to learn and use, in order to mandate it universally.

skilletlicker said:
If it did then all the arguments used in this thread would logically necessitate selecting the easiest language to learn and use, in order to mandate it universally.
I completely disagree. Language is a different animal altogether, not to mention that there are hundreds and hundreds of different one. Not just two, one of which is used by 3 countries and one used by everyone else.

Some languages have words or ideas that do not exist in other languages. That is not true with units of measure.

Well....
I am sorry if my posts did offend anybody.
I do believe though that the USA should use metric.
As the comperison to language?
Most of the world uses English as the common language.
Even in EU, where (for the most part) German used to be the common language, the younger generations learned English instead.

It is more logical to use for many reasons, so people of the world adapted, or should I say "converted" to it.
And yes, I am saying that with the metric system a whole lot of things would be easier .
And I also think that the imperial system was working for a long time, I understand that tradition counts for a lot of things, but I also think if something better is available we should let go of the old.

This is not mean or rude,and it could even be the other way around.
The world could've adopted the imperial system.
But it didn't.
So, without argueing which is better, wouldn't it make more sence for the US to hop on the wagon?

Andy M. said:
The controversy continues. So do we or don't we convert? Vote and state your reasons.

For me, it's no big deal. I can convert to metric for older recipes or other specs. I find the metric system easier to deal with, expecially when scaling up or down, but I can handle it either way. Perhaps this is because I've spent most of my life in the automotive industry, where conversion has been a way of life for many years. Ideologically, I can find myself on either side of the argument, I guess. Do it or don't, I don't care; just tell me what's been decided and then stick with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom