"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?
NO! Absolutely not. Never! 31 39.24%
YES! It's idiotic not to! 30 37.97%
I don't care. What's the difference 6 7.59%
I suppose so, some day 8 10.13%
It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
You know, the conversion thing isn't as hard as everyone seems to think. You just need to memorize a few things and then you can calculate easily. For example a teaspoon is 5 ml...making a US tablespoon 15 ml. (In the UK and Oz however, a tablespoon is 20 ml.) Once you memorize a few of the measurements you use regularly the conversion is easy.
If you're going to start interjecting common sense into this conversation the rest of us will all look bad.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
Everymom

skilletlicker, LMAO here! Sorry about that. I just really don't see this as a tough thing. I admit, I do have an advantage in that I had to learn metric early and now use both all the time.

Gotta tell you though, I was watching Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader and on the question how many feet are in a mile I was totally blank. They make you guys memorize weird crap like that? Now ask me how many meters in a kilometer and I'm all over it!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
You know, the conversion thing isn't as hard as everyone seems to think. You just need to memorize a few things and then you can calculate easily. For example a teaspoon is 5 ml...making a US tablespoon 15 ml. (In the UK and Oz however, a tablespoon is 20 ml.) Once you memorize a few of the measurements you use regularly the conversion is easy.
You already lost me there Alix . This converting thing wouldn't be good for me.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Neah, you do not have to memorise anything. That is why you have scale.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #35
Master Chef

Walk a meter, drink a liter, weigh a gram---that was my high school chemistry/biology teacher's mantra back in the 1970 's when they were trying to pound the metric system into our heads----how difficult it seemed at the time ----but I have lived overseas on and off for so many years you HAVE to learn it and thank goodness I have a scale to measure grams/ounces. ( I now know what a kilo of cucumbers, etc, feel like--about 6 cukes-- and a kilo is 2.2 pounds) Also as far as converting miles to kilometers multiply by .6 so if it's 10 USA miles somewhere it's 6 kilometers over here. 36 US miles is 6 kilometers. Or multiply the kilometers by 6 to get it in miles. Really,that part is not too hard. My biggest problem is converting the temperatures. I have finally learned if they say 40 degrees (Celcius overseas as opposed to the US Farenheit) it's dadgum hot. It's comparable to being in the 90's but I can't do that calculation in my head so you know that anything over 30 degrees C is very warm. Anyway enough of the math-----my head is swimming!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #36
Senior Cook

1 mile = 1.6 km
40C = 104F
You know, funny thing is, after many years my head is still tuned into metric.
When I look at prices at the store and I think, dang, this cheese is not cheap! I think in kg. THEN I realize it's twice as expensive, since the price is for half of that!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #37
Everymom

I love this discussion. And middie, sorry girl. Didn't mean to confuse you, but really, its very simple.

I just about choked on my lemonade reading about the temps too. I am forever converting celcius to fahrenheit when I chat with folks in the US. I think that might be another whole thread though. Is the US the only country that still uses F instead of C?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I thought that the US had already " Officially" converted back in the 80's but everyone just ignored the fact.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #39
Senior Cook

The US should absolutely step into line with the rest of the word and go metric. I find it astonishing that a country which prides itself on being ahead of the rest should lag so far behind in this one area - like half a century or more! There's a very strong case for world-wide standardisation - there have been cases of airline crashes which have resulted from misunderstandings of one measurement convention over another. I cannot give you a specific example - but my son is an air crash investigator and has told me this (he is not allowed to speak in specifics).

Metric is incredibly easy to use, and it's logical (in mathematical terms). Once you forget about converting, that is. Converting is like trying to speak in two languages at once.

Think of it like this: you can measure a line in any measurement-convention you like. It doesn't matter whether it's inches or centimetres or Whatchamacallits. You just count the lines on the ruler. Well, it's even easier than that with metric!

I grew up with Imperial measurements, and was well into adulthood when the metric system was introduced into Australia (41 years ago). I had no difficulty whatsoever with the changeover, and I'm seriously mathematically challenged. Even the older generation had no difficulty with it. You just measure out your ingredients until the numbers on the scales are the same as the numbers on the recipe! Our government sent every household a handy converter, and it worked like a dream, and still works. It's learned very quickly indeed.

The thing that most Americans find difficult is the conversions. They seem to have a poor concept of 'rounding', and try to work with impossible numbers, like '1.2345kg' of something. Ridiculous, in anybody's terms.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I only know one way to measure a kilo and I don't do that anymore.