"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?
NO! Absolutely not. Never! 31 39.24%
YES! It's idiotic not to! 30 37.97%
I don't care. What's the difference 6 7.59%
I suppose so, some day 8 10.13%
It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 196
I skipped over most of the discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything. Having grown up in the US and been living in Europe the past 4 years, I have absolutely no preference either way as I have learned to calculate from either one. However, most of the world uses metric, and so should the US. I think this not because of everyday measurements such as footsize, clothes, or cooking reasons, but because of things I consider to be more important get messed up because of the difference, i.e. scientific collaboration. I remember not long ago that something with the building of the International Space Station got messed up because someone forgot to convert imperial to metric. Thats a 300 odd million dollar mistake.
__________________

__________________
flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #52
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 38
I grew up in Colombia and we learned both. Metric was what was used when we were away from school. I don't really care oneway or the other but I think that when mutliple cultures are involved on a project they should ... before the project gets under way ... agree to one or the other to avoid expensive "do-overs".
Not worth much, but that is my opinion.
__________________

__________________
be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. dr.suess
TiggerHomeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #53
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
Having to go through the exact opposit, let me tell you, it was probably harder.
Metric is perfectly logical and simple.
Going from there to perfectly illogical measurements - now that is hard!
And just think, how much more accurate measurements are if you use grams for instance.
And how much easier is multiplying by 10 is.
That's all metric is about
1x10=10x10=100x10=1000
Weight, linear measurements, distances all the same principal.
Isn't that easier?
1 mile is 1.6 km (or 16000m)
I have no idea how many yards in a mile, but I know there are 1000m in a km.
Before I make it look more confusing, I think the opposition is only about a mindset. Nobody can argue the logic.
The whole world is using metric (well almost), why not we?
I have known since early childhood that there are 5,280 feet in a mile. I have never once found any useful application for this fact. I strongly doubt knowing there are 1,000 meters in a km. would be any different.

Some of you seem to think that if you only just explain the metric system system a little slower, or a little louder, those of us so unfortunately dim-witted that we haven't yet figured it out, will gratefully jump on the bandwagon. Here's the crux of it. I can speak metric, I just don't want to.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #54
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Skilletlicker, no one is trying to tell you to DO anything. And the fact that most of the world uses metric is an indicator of how easy it is to use.

Just because you've known forever that there are so many feet in a mile is not relevant to what folks are saying about the metric system being a base ten system. You had to learn a specific number and memorize it. What folks are saying about the metric system is that you don't HAVE to do that. All you need to do is add a zero or two at the end of the number instead of memorizing things like 5280ft/mile.

No one is intending to slam you or belittle you in any way. No one has indicated you are dimwitted at all. I have followed this quite closely to be sure this thread stayed on track. People have strong opinions one way or another. They are as entitled to theirs as you are to yours.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #55
Senior Cook
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 446
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I was trying to reduce a sauce recipe today from 8 servings to 3 and I must tell you... Can someone explain to me why there are cups, pints, ounces and quarters ? oh, and some are in fractions while other in regular numbers ?

Where is the metric system when you need it ? LOL
The entire world (minus USA, UK and some other countries I am missing) can't be wrong.
__________________
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #56
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Skilletlicker, no one is trying to tell you to DO anything. And the fact that most of the world uses metric is an indicator of how easy it is to use.
. . .
No one is intending to slam you or belittle you in any way. No one has indicated you are dimwitted at all. I have followed this quite closely to be sure this thread stayed on track. People have strong opinions one way or another. They are as entitled to theirs as you are to yours.
Alix, I didn't think anyone slammed or belittled me and I don't think I said or implied that any one was not entitled to their opinion however my last post reads more provocatively than intended. The point I'm trying to make is that the measurement system we use is a part of the culture not unlike language.

You say no one is trying to tell me to DO anything but read back through the posts and notice how many of them assume that if the US "converts" the difficulties like following recipes written using imperial measurements will be somehow relieved. What is going to provide that relief? It would be useful to explore exactly what various posters mean by "metric conversion."

It has been said, over and over again, that the metric system is easier to learn, remember and calculate with. I don't think anybody is arguing that point, however it does not logically follow that the imperial system should therefore be abandoned in favor of metric. If it did then all the arguments used in this thread would logically necessitate selecting the easiest language to learn and use, in order to mandate it universally.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #57
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
If it did then all the arguments used in this thread would logically necessitate selecting the easiest language to learn and use, in order to mandate it universally.
I completely disagree. Language is a different animal altogether, not to mention that there are hundreds and hundreds of different one. Not just two, one of which is used by 3 countries and one used by everyone else.

Some languages have words or ideas that do not exist in other languages. That is not true with units of measure.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #58
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: california
Posts: 167
Well....
I am sorry if my posts did offend anybody.
I do believe though that the USA should use metric.
As the comperison to language?
Most of the world uses English as the common language.
Even in EU, where (for the most part) German used to be the common language, the younger generations learned English instead.

It is more logical to use for many reasons, so people of the world adapted, or should I say "converted" to it.
And yes, I am saying that with the metric system a whole lot of things would be easier .
And I also think that the imperial system was working for a long time, I understand that tradition counts for a lot of things, but I also think if something better is available we should let go of the old.

This is not mean or rude,and it could even be the other way around.
The world could've adopted the imperial system.
But it didn't.
So, without argueing which is better, wouldn't it make more sence for the US to hop on the wagon?
__________________
mitmondol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #59
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: california
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I can speak metric, I just don't want to.
Care to tell why not?
__________________
mitmondol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #60
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The controversy continues. So do we or don't we convert? Vote and state your reasons.
For me, it's no big deal. I can convert to metric for older recipes or other specs. I find the metric system easier to deal with, expecially when scaling up or down, but I can handle it either way. Perhaps this is because I've spent most of my life in the automotive industry, where conversion has been a way of life for many years. Ideologically, I can find myself on either side of the argument, I guess. Do it or don't, I don't care; just tell me what's been decided and then stick with it.
__________________

__________________
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.