The Metric System in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?

• NO! Absolutely not. Never!

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • YES! It's idiotic not to!

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I don't care. What's the difference

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • I suppose so, some day

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Andy M. said:
Instead, he gave us 10 fingers and 10 toes!

LOL! Nice come back! :)

Personally, I can deal with either one, but I’d rather stick with the US system since I grew up with it and can easily “picture” what an inch is, a gallon is, etc without having to stop and convert it. Granted, if we switched, I’d eventually be able to “picture” a metric equivalent after some repeated use........

The simple fact of the matter is that the metric system is much more easy to learn as opposed to the imperial system. I dont know for the life of me how many feet are in a mile. But I know the prefix method, and i know that it applies to every measurement I have had to use so far.

I dislike change.....and I agree with Keltin that I grew up with it and that picture of an inch, gallon etc. is etched in my brain. I haven't even adjusted to pumping my own gas...down to one gas station here in town.

LOL... well I made the adjustment to pumping my own gas after I moved. I have to say that I think it had to be a whole lot easier than converting to metric. I mean, I know we should and eventually will... but it doesn't mean that I'll go willingly. :-p

How did the imperial system get started? Didn't the founding fathers come from England? Wasn't metric used there? Why didn't they carry over the metric system here then? Was it just a way to stress their independence from England? Hmmm, there's a history lesson in here somewhere.......

The imperial system started in England. The distance from a certain king's nose to the tips of his fingers was a yard and other bizarre stuff like that. That came to America witht he first settlers and has stuck.

The imperial system started in England. The distance from a certain king's nose to the tips of his fingers was a yard and other bizarre stuff like that. That came to America witht he first settlers and has stuck.

Oh, so that's why it's called the imperial system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom