"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Glad you guys were okay.

Since the destruction started at the top of the electrical service, it is entirely possible you did not receive a direct strike. Since you are alive to tell us this, I must assume it was not a direct strike.
The lightning most likely hit the tallest structure in your immediate area. Could have been the pole that serves your dwelling.

This would be evident by the destruction of the electrical service entering the dwelling.
I am afraid that if the lightning had hit the trailer directly, the trailer most like would be destroyed.

Most strikes reported are not actually direct strikes. They are reports from people close by that feel and see the effect of the strike.
Those that live through this, in large part not directly hit by lightning.

Here ya go Addie. A description of a Faraday cage. Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We didn't lose our electrical service. It didn't even interrupt television service. No one did except the house down on the corner that burnt down. So how do you explain the large burn through the metal all the way the whole length of the trailer down to the tires?
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #112
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
This is not going to make much difference, if any, to solving the mystery or where-abouts of the missing plane.

But WHY bother to correct it? Are they saving someones butt? And which version is the truth?

"Malaysia changes version of last words from missing flight's cockpit
KUALA LUMPUR, April 1 Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:17pm EDT

(Reuters) - The last words spoken by one of the pilots of the missing Malaysian Airlines airliner to the control tower were "Good night Malaysian three seven zero", Malaysia's civil aviation authority said, changing the previous account of the last message as a more casual "All right, good night.""

Malaysia changes version of last words from missing flight's cockpit | Reuters
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #113
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
You are right Cave, it matters not. The new version sounds a little more professional.

It appears to me that it is unlikely we will ever know what happened. Each day, each week makes it more unlikely this will be solved.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #114
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You are confusing what happens to a car when it's struck by lightning and the definition of "Faraday cage." In fact when a car is struck by lightning it becomes charged and like charge repels like charge. When the charge builds up high enough it doesn't matter if there are window holes. Your car becomes increasingly distasteful to the lightning and it finds other leakage paths to dissipate in.

I used to work in a Faraday cage when I was a 2-way radio technician. It's basically a copper wire box. Any radio transmissions hit the wire screen ad build up a field that repels the radio waves rather than allowing them through.

Your cellphone works in a car because of the holes where the windows are. They don't generate enough energy to charge up the car and repel the electromagnetic waves.

A lightning bolt is basically a huge electric flow, enough to charge up your car. A cellphone emits weak electromagnetic waves, not strong enough to do anything to prevent escaping from your car.

I'm a professional electronic engineer, or was until I got put out to pasture.
My point was no matter a Faraday cage (I did not bring that into this conversation) or a bird cage.
A direct hit by lightning is in most every instance a death sentence. The key word is "direct strike".
A Faraday cage cannot do anything to protect in the event of a direct hit by lightning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We didn't lose our electrical service. It didn't even interrupt television service. No one did except the house down on the corner that burnt down. So how do you explain the large burn through the metal all the way the whole length of the trailer down to the tires?
Sounds unlikely you could receive this damage to the structure, yet have no interruption of TV and electricity.
Heck we lose our picture when it snows.....LOL

Addie, no one can guess or assume what happened that night at your trailer home.
But we can accept as fact the lightning strike can destroy most anything in its path. If it was burned, lightning traveled across the structure with no easy path to earth. The trailer was off the ground, and possibly still on tires.
This insulates the structure from earth and gives the lightning no where to go. Thus the burned sections you describe and the daisy chain effect you mention regarding the other structure that did burn down..
Like I said before. Had it hit your house directly, chance are good you would not be here with us to discuss this.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #115
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You are right Cave, it matters not. The new version sounds a little more professional.

It appears to me that it is unlikely we will ever know what happened. Each day, each week makes it more unlikely this will be solved.
You're right on both counts----- It may be years before we even have a glimmer of hope of knowing what actually happened. Even then, it may be filtered through dozens of 'explanations' that could be right or wrong depending on the agency producing them.

And yes, it does sound more professional----- (says cave76, disingenuously and with skeptics hat firmly on. )

I feel sorry for the relatives and friends of the deceased (for it does sound like that's who they are although I will wish for a miracle)

Not only are those people grieving but they have to endure all the tugs and pulls of the media and the governments.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #116
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My point was no matter a Faraday cage (I did not bring that into this conversation) or a bird cage.
A direct hit by lightning is in most every instance a death sentence. The key word is "direct strike"

A Faraday cage cannot do anything to protect in the event of a direct hit by lightning.
You are twice wrong. There are many examples of people being struck by lightning and living, although often with complications. A direct hit is not a good thing but it is not a death sentence.

A good Faraday cage would completely protect you although it would have to be constructed of a good enough conductor to not melt under the energy.

I recommend you do some reading to understand why this works.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #117
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You are confusing what happens to a car when it's struck by lightning and the definition of "Faraday cage." In fact when a car is struck by lightning it becomes charged and like charge repels like charge. When the charge builds up high enough it doesn't matter if there are window holes. Your car becomes increasingly distasteful to the lightning and it finds other leakage paths to dissipate in.

I used to work in a Faraday cage when I was a 2-way radio technician. It's basically a copper wire box. Any radio transmissions hit the wire screen ad build up a field that repels the radio waves rather than allowing them through.

Your cellphone works in a car because of the holes where the windows are. They don't generate enough energy to charge up the car and repel the electromagnetic waves.

A lightning bolt is basically a huge electric flow, enough to charge up your car. A cellphone emits weak electromagnetic waves, not strong enough to do anything to prevent escaping from your car.

I'm a professional electronic engineer, or was until I got put out to pasture.
////
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #118
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My point was no matter a Faraday cage (I did not bring that into this conversation) or a bird cage.
A direct hit by lightning is in most every instance a death sentence. The key word is "direct strike".
A Faraday cage cannot do anything to protect in the event of a direct hit by lightning.

That's interesting. I remember being told in school science, I think, that an aeroplane is an example of Faraday's cage which protects it in a lightning strike. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything that you are told at school.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #119
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
That's interesting. I remember being told in school science, I think, that an aeroplane is an example of Faraday's cage which protects it in a lightning strike. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything that you are told at school.
Lightning strikes in passenger aircraft were a common event until the advent of aircraft weather radar and are still not unheard of.

That is exactly why it is common for aircraft lightning strikes to cause no harm to the aircraft, or at least no serious harm.

The lightning hits the aircraft which immediately charges it up. Like charges repel like charges so the lightning finds the aircraft increasingly unsavory. The repulsion is sufficient to prevent the lightning from coming in the windows.

Often there may be a bit of melting where the first bolt strikes the aircraft. On occasion it can mess up radio gear since it has antennas poking out beyond the fuselage.

It is not good for an aircraft to be struck by lightning but it is not a death sentence.

Since the advent of modern aircraft weather radar all commercial aircraft (and everybody else with a brain) avoids weather areas that may include the possibility of lightning strikes.

As far as I know the possibility of weather being involved in the missing 777 has never been mentioned even once in the media.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #120
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You are twice wrong. There are many examples of people being struck by lightning and living, although often with complications. A direct hit is not a good thing but it is not a death sentence.

A good Faraday cage would completely protect you although it would have to be constructed of a good enough conductor to not melt under the energy.

I recommend you do some reading to understand why this works.
I also have an electronic and electrical background.
You have totally missed my point.
"A direct lightning strike is very likely to kill anyone directly struck"

Now we all know what a Faraday cage is now and we all know why an airplane can and will endure direct strikes.
But I dare you to take a direct hit and be able to tell me I am wrong three times. 2 times would be all you had left.

People that live through lightning strikes in most every instance were not struck directly.
Being just in the proximity of the strike can cause severe burns and death.

I have done a good bit of study and work on lightning protection, grounding and bonding of electrical systems. I know the force of lightning. I have repaired and replaced many electrical systems due to lightning damage.
I respect lightning and what it is capable of doing. To minimize the devastation lightning produces is a serious mistake.
To live through lightning most always requires that you not be DIRECTLY hit by the lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
That's interesting. I remember being told in school science, I think, that an airplane is an example of Faraday's cage which protects it in a lightning strike. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything that you are told at school.
You were taught correctly. An airplane is a good Faraday cage inherently. Just by its construction and the materials used to build an airplane.

Lightning striking a flying Faraday cage is probably the best place anyone could be when lightning strikes.
I know a pilot that told me he has been hit more than once with no issue other than a few burn marks on the fuselage.

There is a big difference being in a plane vs being in a solidly grounded (earthed) building or other structure.
There is a bigger difference being out in the open and having lightning strike.

Bottom line.
Lightning hits you directly, you die. To live through a direct hit would be like winning the Power Ball Lottery.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.