"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
This poor guy holds the Guinness Record for most lightening strikes survived: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Su...#Seven_strikes

Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #122
Head Chef

I was just going to ask if the discussion about 'people being killed/hit by lightning' was perhaps a matter of semantics: People having a lightning bolt actually HIT THEM or having lightning strike near them and received some sort of injury from that.

Then comes the Wiki record and it does seem as if that poor man actually was HIT by lightning, as least one or two times.

Now, I'm as confused as before.

But I have to wonder about him:
" Sullivan had the strength and courage to strike the bear with a tree branch. He claimed that this was the twenty-second time he hit a bear with a stick in his lifetime.[2]"

HUH? To save some trout?
I don't call that courage, myself.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #123
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I was just going to ask if the discussion about 'people being killed/hit by lightning' was perhaps a matter of semantics: People having a lightning bolt actually HIT THEM or having lightning strike near them and received some sort of injury from that.

Then comes the Wiki record and it does seem as if that poor man actually was HIT by lightning, as least one or two times.

Now, I'm as confused as before.
Do not be confused.
Lightning is as deadly as any man made weapon and has the ability to kill.
Like I said before. A direct strike to a person will most likely kill this person.
A strike close by or being in the vicinity of a strike can also kill, severely burn and cause serious trauma from the explosiveness of the strike.

This is where science and peoples recounts of strikes are at at odds.

A lightning bolt can produce over 1 million volts and be hotter than the surface of the sun.
The lightning bolt also has a explosive effect that can destroy most anything in its path.

Knowing these two facts about lightning, it would be fool hardy to consider living through a direct strike. Is it possible, maybe? Lottery anyone?

But if you are directly hit (meaning the lightning actually hits you directly and passes through your body to earth, you are a goner).

The burns and severe physical trauma alone would most likely kill, not counting the electrical force/charge the body could not withstand. Electrocution if you will.

IMO. People that have had multiple encounters with lightning and others who have survived to tell their tale were not direct recipients of lightning.
They were in the close vicinity or proximity of the strike and were injured.
Knowing the difference between a close call and a direct hit would be very hard to gage as those directly hit are not with us any longer to tell us about it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=Roll_Bones;1355729]Do not be confused.
Lightning is as deadly as any man made weapon and has the ability to kill.
Like I said before. A direct strike to a person will most likely kill this person.
A strike close by or being in the vicinity of a strike can also kill, severely burn and cause serious trauma from the explosiveness of the strike.

This is where science and peoples recounts of strikes are at at odds.

A lightning bolt can produce over 1 million volts and be hotter than the surface of the sun.
The lightning bolt also has a explosive effect that can destroy most anything in its path.

Knowing these two facts about lightning, it would be fool hardy to consider living through a direct strike. Is it possible, maybe? Lottery anyone?

But if you are directly hit (meaning the lightning actually hits you directly and passes through your body to earth, you are a goner).

The burns and severe physical trauma alone would most likely kill, not counting the electrical force/charge the body could not withstand. Electrocution if you will.

IMO. People that have had multiple encounters with lightning and others who have survived to tell their tale were not direct recipients of lightning.
They were in the close vicinity or proximity of the strike and were injured.
Knowing the difference between a close call and a direct hit would be very hard to gage as those directly hit are not with us any longer to tell us about it.[/QUOTE]

May they rest in peace as well as this subject. Amen.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #125
Head Chef

If no one has any objection ---- should I start another thread for lightning/Faraday cage discussion? I don't care one way or the other and I'm certainly the last person to object to this thread taking a turn away from the plane crash because I'm one of the worst offenders at 'high-jacking' a thread; mine AND others.

(My mind takes strange turns and twists all the time.)

Anyone besides Addie O.K. with that?

Looking at all the comments and then looking at Wiki and other sources continue to keep me confused, no offense to anyone here. I keep wondering if some of the 'records' of people surviving a lightning strike are obfuscated by a loose description of what 'direct' means.

"I don't know anything, but I do know that everything is interesting if you go into it deeply enough."
~Richard Feynman
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #126
Master Chef

time to move on....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thisthreadhasderailed.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	21059  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #127
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
. . . . .

Was that a yes or a no as to whether you would prefer the subject of lightning and Faraday cages be moved to another thread?

I'm obfuscated by your comment.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #128
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I'm obfuscated by your comment.
obfuscated. Now that's a new word for me. Learned a new word today. :)
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #129
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
obfuscated. Now that's a new word for me. Learned a new word today. :)
Good! But still no answer?? (Reminding you gently) Yay or nay on making a new thread about lightning?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #130
Master Chef

cave......It's your thread, you're the boss, your call...:)