The missing 777 Malaysian plane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just going to ask if the discussion about 'people being killed/hit by lightning' was perhaps a matter of semantics: People having a lightning bolt actually HIT THEM or having lightning strike near them and received some sort of injury from that.

Then comes the Wiki record and it does seem as if that poor man actually was HIT by lightning, as least one or two times.

Now, I'm as confused as before. ;)

But I have to wonder about him:
" Sullivan had the strength and courage to strike the bear with a tree branch. He claimed that this was the twenty-second time he hit a bear with a stick in his lifetime.[2]"

HUH? To save some trout? :ohmy: :ohmy:
I don't call that courage, myself. :LOL:

I was just going to ask if the discussion about 'people being killed/hit by lightning' was perhaps a matter of semantics: People having a lightning bolt actually HIT THEM or having lightning strike near them and received some sort of injury from that.

Then comes the Wiki record and it does seem as if that poor man actually was HIT by lightning, as least one or two times.

Now, I'm as confused as before. ;)

Do not be confused.
Lightning is as deadly as any man made weapon and has the ability to kill.
Like I said before. A direct strike to a person will most likely kill this person.
A strike close by or being in the vicinity of a strike can also kill, severely burn and cause serious trauma from the explosiveness of the strike.

This is where science and peoples recounts of strikes are at at odds.

A lightning bolt can produce over 1 million volts and be hotter than the surface of the sun.
The lightning bolt also has a explosive effect that can destroy most anything in its path.

Knowing these two facts about lightning, it would be fool hardy to consider living through a direct strike. Is it possible, maybe? Lottery anyone?

But if you are directly hit (meaning the lightning actually hits you directly and passes through your body to earth, you are a goner).

The burns and severe physical trauma alone would most likely kill, not counting the electrical force/charge the body could not withstand. Electrocution if you will.

IMO. People that have had multiple encounters with lightning and others who have survived to tell their tale were not direct recipients of lightning.
They were in the close vicinity or proximity of the strike and were injured.
Knowing the difference between a close call and a direct hit would be very hard to gage as those directly hit are not with us any longer to tell us about it.

Last edited:
Do not be confused.
Lightning is as deadly as any man made weapon and has the ability to kill.
Like I said before. A direct strike to a person will most likely kill this person.
A strike close by or being in the vicinity of a strike can also kill, severely burn and cause serious trauma from the explosiveness of the strike.

This is where science and peoples recounts of strikes are at at odds.

A lightning bolt can produce over 1 million volts and be hotter than the surface of the sun.
The lightning bolt also has a explosive effect that can destroy most anything in its path.

Knowing these two facts about lightning, it would be fool hardy to consider living through a direct strike. Is it possible, maybe? Lottery anyone?

But if you are directly hit (meaning the lightning actually hits you directly and passes through your body to earth, you are a goner).

The burns and severe physical trauma alone would most likely kill, not counting the electrical force/charge the body could not withstand. Electrocution if you will.

IMO. People that have had multiple encounters with lightning and others who have survived to tell their tale were not direct recipients of lightning.
They were in the close vicinity or proximity of the strike and were injured.
Knowing the difference between a close call and a direct hit would be very hard to gage as those directly hit are not with us any longer to tell us about it.[/QUOTE]

May they rest in peace as well as this subject. Amen. :angel:

If no one has any objection ---- should I start another thread for lightning/Faraday cage discussion? I don't care one way or the other and I'm certainly the last person to object to this thread taking a turn away from the plane crash because I'm one of the worst offenders at 'high-jacking' a thread; mine AND others. ;)

(My mind takes strange turns and twists all the time.)

Anyone besides Addie :) O.K. with that?

Looking at all the comments and then looking at Wiki and other sources continue to keep me confused, no offense to anyone here. I keep wondering if some of the 'records' of people surviving a lightning strike are obfuscated by a loose description of what 'direct' means.

"I don't know anything, but I do know that everything is interesting if you go into it deeply enough."
~Richard Feynman

Last edited:
Sorry about contributing to the derailment.

I must ask though. Derailment is quite common in these parts, why the reminder in this thread and for this subject?

Subject closed on my end.

Anyone watch the special on TV last night?

It was on MSNBC. I saw it very late or early this morning if you will. 1:00 AM EST.
Very good, if you have not followed the incident well and had any questions.
Basically brought people like me up to date on everything that has transpired since the plane disappeared.

I am certain it will air again. Just check your TV listing if interested.

Back
Top Bottom