"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I agree that the satellite images are not parts from the plane.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
He'll be the first to spot it...
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They have said those things they saw floating could not be anything from the plane. Anything that big from a plane would not be buoyant. The only things that would float would be much smaller like seat cushions.

The best theory I have heard so far is that there was a fire in the cockpit. One procedure in that situation is to shut down everything. They turn everything off just so that is why the transponder was turned off. The 90 degree turn was due to the pilots turning towards the closest airstrip they could use for an emergency landing. The fire quickly grew and the pilots passed out or were overcome by the flames and the plane went into the ocean.
This is just one possible theory. I am sure I did not get all the details of it spot on. This theory came from another pilot so I am sure I missed some of the other details, but this very simple theory seemed to make a lot of sense to me. A lot more so than a black hole at least.
My personal view is that the plane is at the bottom of the ocean. I do not think it is terrorists or any other elaborate theory.
If there was a fire, and they lost the electronics, the plane would have crashed right then. This plane cannot fly without power. A loss of the electrical/electronics would be the disaster in itself.
The plane supposedly flew on for several hours. If this is the case, there had to be a functional electronic system. Speculating on my part GB.

Like you, I have to go with the obvious. They are all dead and the plane resides on the bottom of the ocean. Hoping to find these poor souls is not going to happen (I wish I believed in miracles).
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If there was a fire, and they lost the electronics, the plane would have crashed right then. This plane cannot fly without power.
That theory came from a certified pilot. He said it is standard operating procedure to throw all the breakers when there is a fire so I must assume that the plane can fly that way and would not just crash. However the other part of his theory was that the pilots were quickly overcome by the fire/smoke/heat whatever, so that it flew for hours is kind of a wrench in that idea.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That theory came from a certified pilot. He said it is standard operating procedure to throw all the breakers when there is a fire so I must assume that the plane can fly that way and would not just crash. However the other part of his theory was that the pilots were quickly overcome by the fire/smoke/heat whatever, so that it flew for hours is kind of a wrench in that idea.


Here's an excerpt from the link I posted:

Quote:
Other pilots aren't convinced, though. In an interview with Business Insider, Michael G. Fortune, a retired pilot who now works as an aviation consultant and expert witness, said pilots preparing to change destination "would have communicated their emergency and intentions to turn around, as well as ask for assistance and direct routing to a suitable airport from the air traffic controllers very quickly."

Goodfellow [author of the original theory] also wrote: "in the case of fire the first response [is] to pull all the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one."

Fortune, who flew 777-200ERs like the one involved here, said pilots follow a specific procedure when there's smoke or fire in the cabin. He didn't buy into the idea that the transponders would have been turned off in an attempt to deal with the problem. "The checklist I utilized for smoke and fumes in the B-777-200ER does not specifically address the transponder being turned off," he said.

Steve Abdu, a 777 captain for a major carrier, echoed Fortune's point that there's a clear checklist to follow in this kind of situation. And, he pointed out, it's unlikely smoke would have knocked the pilots unconscious or killed them — because they have oxygen masks.

Each pilot has a quick-donning mask, and putting it on is step one on the fire checklist. It covers the full face, even if the pilot wears glasses, and can be put on in about two seconds. "These masks are quite excellent at protecting a pilot from smoke and fumes," Fortune said.
There's a training video on the page that shows how the mask works.

And here's a comprehensive Q&A: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/world/...plane-q-and-a/
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I don't dispute that other pilots have said that scenario is unlikely. There is at least one living pilot who has said it is a valid theory thought so if one thinks it is valid then it is not out of the realm of possibility that they pilots on this flight would have handled it the same way this one pilot would have.

As to the masks, how do we know that if there was a fire in the cockpit that the masks were not affected?

I am not saying this is what I really think happened, but I do think something like this is much more likely then a black hole or a hijacking at this point.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I don't dispute that other pilots have said that scenario is unlikely. There is at least one living pilot who has said it is a valid theory thought so if one thinks it is valid then it is not out of the realm of possibility that they pilots on this flight would have handled it the same way this one pilot would have.

As to the masks, how do we know that if there was a fire in the cockpit that the masks were not affected?

I am not saying this is what I really think happened, but I do think something like this is much more likely then a black hole or a hijacking at this point.
I certainly don't have a better theory Definitely not a black hole, and probably not a hijacking. I just wanted to point out that, while it makes sense to us, who have no direct knowledge of such things, people who are specifically trained in the subject have doubts. I do think that, unfortunately, the plane is likely at the bottom of the ocean and the families may never have answers to what happened to their loved ones. That's got to be hard to live with.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
It's a rare occurrence to find a theory or scientific fact written by an 'expert' that isn't denied by other 'experts'.

Example:

" He [Johnson] spent years examining the studies of flat and round Earth theories and proposed evidence of a conspiracy against flat-Earth: "The idea of a spinning globe is only a conspiracy of error that Moses, Columbus, and FDR all fought…" His article was published in the magazine Science Digest, 1980. It goes on to state, "If it is a sphere, the surface of a large body of water must be curved. The Johnsons have checked the surfaces of Lake Tahoe and the Salton Sea without detecting any curvature."

Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
It's a rare occurrence to find a theory or scientific fact written by an 'expert' that isn't denied by other 'experts'.

Example:

" He [Johnson] spent years examining the studies of flat and round Earth theories and proposed evidence of a conspiracy against flat-Earth: "The idea of a spinning globe is only a conspiracy of error that Moses, Columbus, and FDR all fought…" His article was published in the magazine Science Digest, 1980. It goes on to state, "If it is a sphere, the surface of a large body of water must be curved. The Johnsons have checked the surfaces of Lake Tahoe and the Salton Sea without detecting any curvature."

Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ha ha ha! So funny. So why do we listen to them, quote them, etc.? No good reason, I guess. So I have to wonder why you bother asking these off-topic questions at all.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
And to think I missed all this because anytime word of this plane starts to show up on my TV, I quickly change the channel. And I don't have to strain my brain thinking up theories.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.