The missing 777 Malaysian plane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember anyone making jokes about the Boston Marathon bombing. I think Steve is right - it's easier to joke about something that happened on the other side of the world.

I heard many tasteless jokes after the bombing...maybe because we live way over here? Dunno, but I won't repeat them.

I live just a few miles from where the bombing happened and heard enough jokes to fill a book so I am not really sure about the theory that its easier to joke about something on the other side of the world really works for me.

I was raised this way. I like the analogy of a "release valve". When my grandmother had breast cancer and lost one breast, her nick name became "Lefty". Doom and gloom doesn't seem healthy. Finding humor in tragedy doesn't mean that we care less, it seems more self preservation. If we don't allow some levity in tragic situations, it's easy to be consumed with sorrow.

BC, when my granddaughter's other grandmother had to have her toes amputated, her daughter got a toy tow truck, and a Barbie doll. She cut the toes off of Barbie and sat her on the back of the to(e)w truck. Her mother laughed every time she looked at it while she was in the hospital. When she was ready to leave, her doctor asked if he could have it. It sits in his office to this day. And it provides humor for other amputee patients. :angel:

Sorry that was more a comment on all the crazy theories. I just think it crashed and is at the bottom of the ocean as opposed to being hidden somewhere in an attempt to ransom it back or something crazy like that.

Sorry that was more a comment on all the crazy theories. I just think it crashed and is at the bottom of the ocean as opposed to being hidden somewhere in an attempt to ransom it back or something crazy like that.

No 'sorry' needed---- I was sure you were sorta kidding. But you were too fast for me because after I posted I had a better reply or a better one in keeping with the joking flavor------ but since I like the sound of my own fingers on the keyboard I'll say it anyway:

To GB----- so you think a tiny razor blade could take down a huge plane?

Cracked myself up, again! :LOL::LOL:

I live just a few miles from where the bombing happened and heard enough jokes to fill a book so I am not really sure about the theory that its easier to joke about something on the other side of the world really works for me.

I was talking about on this site.

It looks like they may have found the wreckage.

That's a 'may', as I'm sure is understood, but it's hopeful.

It will sure be good (in a strange way) to know the real story. I'm afraid, though, that all the passengers are dead. :(

So, without any hard physical evidence (yet) the M government makes the announcement that the plane crashed into the ocean. WTF?

Yeah, strange how crystal balls work! I'm fairly sure (just my non-expert opinion) that it HAS gone down into the ocean----- but.......

a mathematical explanation, using satellite signals, triangulation and the doppler effect to determine the missing plane's ultimate crash location in the indian ocean, seems sound and convincing to me. on a human level however, it satisfies no one. all efforts toward securing the physical recovery of the missing craft should continue in earnest.

a mathematical explanation, using satellite signals, triangulation and the doppler effect to determine the missing plane's ultimate crash location in the indian ocean, seems sound and convincing to me. on a human level however, it satisfies no one. all efforts toward securing the physical recovery of the missing craft should continue in earnest.

I agree!

I tried to activate my "thanks" button, but some silly pop up screen came up instead! :LOL:

I will believe this when they actually find the fuselage of the plane, the bodies, and the black boxes.

I've been following this story very closely, and my Uncle Nicu is a pilot. He has a small civilian jet, a Cessna Citation. We both agree of this and we are very skeptical.

I will say this; Uncle Nicu and I are very sure that from this, the FAA and the NTSB will issue directives worldwide of all Boeing planes having transponders that CANNOT be turned off, and possibly made inaccessible from the flight deck.

We will see, yes? I can't imagine the horror the families have endured. It makes me cry to even think of this. I can't read an article of this upon the news or see it on TV without tears. It makes me want to hug my friends and family very hard.

With love,
~Cat

I will believe this when they actually find the fuselage of the plane, the bodies, and the black boxes...

I wasn't going to comment on this further but I have to answer this :)

Check out this story: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...a-airlines-plane-was-lost-20140325-hvme8.html

About finding the wreckage, my husband was an oceanographer and meteorologist in the US Navy; after that, he taught Earth science, meteorology, oceanography, and computer modeling and simulation for many years. He said the Southern Ocean (not the southern Indian Ocean), which surrounds Antarctica, is the most violently active area in the oceans. It's as if there are hurricanes there, everywhere, all the time. All the other oceans feed into it and there are no land masses in it (in the ocean itself) to slow down the currents and the height of the waves, which pack a lot of energy when they smash down onto the surface.

The plane went down just west of Australia, although they can't be certain exactly where because they don't know the speed it was traveling or how much fuel it had left. But it was heading south and so would end up near the Southern Ocean; then currents would carry it into the Southern Ocean and the debris, whatever might float, would be scattered over hundreds of square miles within a few days. Over two weeks have passed already. That side of the world is moving into winter now, bringing more severe weather, which is already hampering search efforts.

If you have Google Earth installed, look it up. It's pretty amazing. Or look at images from here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Antarctica+and+Southern+Ocean

Sometimes circumstantial evidence is all that's available. I don't believe anything but bits and pieces will be found, if anything.

Last edited:
I0I will say this; Uncle Nicu and I are very sure that from this, the FAA and the NTSB will issue directives worldwide of all Boeing planes having transponders that CANNOT be turned off, and possibly made inaccessible from the flight deck.

The FAA and NTSB don't have the authority to do this. I'm sure there's some international agency that coordinates these things. And I've read that if there's an electrical fire, it's necessary for the pilots to be able to turn off everything that is electric. I don't know if that's true - can't remember where I read it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom