"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And I think making jokes about the loss of the Malaysian plane is exceedingly insensitive.
Perhaps the alternative is to weep.

I used to think that laughing in the face of adversity (whether your own or someone else's) was an English - well, British - trait. A safety valve, like all those silly films with Will Hay, George Formby et al, during the 2nd WW, making fun of serious aspects of the war. As the New York Times put it in a review of one of the latter's films in October 1940 "....the Britisher's......"thumbs up" attitude in the face of ...... danger". Perhaps it's catching on elsewhere.

And perhaps joking about something unpleasant happening to someone else is relief that it wasn't us it happened to.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
My point is that this is a cooking forum but you seem to be more interested in non-cooking topics. And you like to provoke rather than discuss.

And I think making jokes about the loss of the Malaysian plane is exceedingly insensitive.
Well our tagline is Discover cooking. Discuss life. That is exactly what Cave has done.

Everyone deals with tragedy differently. I don't think Cave was joking at the expense of anyone.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
Head Chef

Still no sighting of plane or wreckage as of Mar 22 2014

MH370 Malaysia plane: Australia vows indefinite search

Australia has vowed the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will go on indefinitely, despite no sightings yet of wreckage in the Indian Ocean.

BBC News - MH370 Malaysia plane: Australia vows indefinite search
Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #44
Master Chef

These jokes and insensitive comments here are downright mild compared to what's talked about on this event on other public forums I frequent.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #45
Wine Guy

I'm somewhat in agreement with GotGarlic. I can't help but think that if this were an American or Canadian plane that went missing, there would be an outpouring of concern here and absolutely no one would be making light of it. But because it happened on the other side of the world, that somehow makes it fair game. There are still a lot of families out there with missing loved ones who I'm sure wouldn't enjoy seeing posts of this nature - whether on DC or somewhere else. Think of how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

Just because it happens on other forums doesn't necessarily make it okay.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
My point is that this is a cooking forum but you seem to be more interested in non-cooking topics. And you like to provoke rather than discuss.
This is a public forum and as long as the TOS are respected and observed, cave can discuss anything. This is "Off Topic" section.
Designed for "Off Topic" discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Noted. I'm sorry you have that opinion of me.
Don't lose any sleep over the comments. I like your threads and your posts.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just because it happens on other forums doesn't necessarily make it okay.
I absolutely agree.
But on the other hand if people find these comments offensive the mods have every right to close, delete, or sanitize these threads. I have no problem with that.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #48
Head Chef

"Malaysia Airlines has confirmed that two Canadians were onboard a missing plane bound for Beijing."

Malaysia Airlines flight missing with 239 people, including 2 Canadians | CTV News

My heart felt sympathy goes out to the families of those two Canadians AND to the families of the other passengers.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Don't lose any sleep over the comments.
Don't worry, I don't. And thank you.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Humor in the face of tragedy is Human...This was told to me by an Alzheimer's Disease Victim:

"I love Alzheimer's, I get to hide my own Easter eggs" also "I make new friends every day"...I know she heard these somewhere else, but it's her attitude towards her disease that makes her fun to be around.

My thoughts, prayers and good vibes go out to anyone experiencing tragedy, but the dark humor is my release valve for sorrow.