"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It looks like they may have found the wreckage.
That's a 'may', as I'm sure is understood, but it's hopeful.

It will sure be good (in a strange way) to know the real story. I'm afraid, though, that all the passengers are dead.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #72
Master Chef

So, without any hard physical evidence (yet) the M government makes the announcement that the plane crashed into the ocean. WTF?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #73
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
So, without any hard physical evidence (yet) the M government makes the announcement that the plane crashed into the ocean. WTF?
Yeah, strange how crystal balls work! I'm fairly sure (just my non-expert opinion) that it HAS gone down into the ocean----- but.......
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #74
Executive Chef

a mathematical explanation, using satellite signals, triangulation and the doppler effect to determine the missing plane's ultimate crash location in the indian ocean, seems sound and convincing to me. on a human level however, it satisfies no one. all efforts toward securing the physical recovery of the missing craft should continue in earnest.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #75
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
a mathematical explanation, using satellite signals, triangulation and the doppler effect to determine the missing plane's ultimate crash location in the indian ocean, seems sound and convincing to me. on a human level however, it satisfies no one. all efforts toward securing the physical recovery of the missing craft should continue in earnest.
I agree!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #76
Master Chef

I agree, academically, that's the area where it went down.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
I tried to activate my "thanks" button, but some silly pop up screen came up instead!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #78
Proud American

I will believe this when they actually find the fuselage of the plane, the bodies, and the black boxes.

I've been following this story very closely, and my Uncle Nicu is a pilot. He has a small civilian jet, a Cessna Citation. We both agree of this and we are very skeptical.

I will say this; Uncle Nicu and I are very sure that from this, the FAA and the NTSB will issue directives worldwide of all Boeing planes having transponders that CANNOT be turned off, and possibly made inaccessible from the flight deck.

We will see, yes? I can't imagine the horror the families have endured. It makes me cry to even think of this. I can't read an article of this upon the news or see it on TV without tears. It makes me want to hug my friends and family very hard.

With love,
~Cat
Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I will believe this when they actually find the fuselage of the plane, the bodies, and the black boxes...
I wasn't going to comment on this further but I have to answer this

Check out this story: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/worl...325-hvme8.html

About finding the wreckage, my husband was an oceanographer and meteorologist in the US Navy; after that, he taught Earth science, meteorology, oceanography, and computer modeling and simulation for many years. He said the Southern Ocean (not the southern Indian Ocean), which surrounds Antarctica, is the most violently active area in the oceans. It's as if there are hurricanes there, everywhere, all the time. All the other oceans feed into it and there are no land masses in it (in the ocean itself) to slow down the currents and the height of the waves, which pack a lot of energy when they smash down onto the surface.

The plane went down just west of Australia, although they can't be certain exactly where because they don't know the speed it was traveling or how much fuel it had left. But it was heading south and so would end up near the Southern Ocean; then currents would carry it into the Southern Ocean and the debris, whatever might float, would be scattered over hundreds of square miles within a few days. Over two weeks have passed already. That side of the world is moving into winter now, bringing more severe weather, which is already hampering search efforts.

If you have Google Earth installed, look it up. It's pretty amazing. Or look at images from here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Anta...Southern+Ocean

Sometimes circumstantial evidence is all that's available. I don't believe anything but bits and pieces will be found, if anything.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I0I will say this; Uncle Nicu and I are very sure that from this, the FAA and the NTSB will issue directives worldwide of all Boeing planes having transponders that CANNOT be turned off, and possibly made inaccessible from the flight deck.
The FAA and NTSB don't have the authority to do this. I'm sure there's some international agency that coordinates these things. And I've read that if there's an electrical fire, it's necessary for the pilots to be able to turn off everything that is electric. I don't know if that's true - can't remember where I read it.