The missing 777 Malaysian plane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I think making jokes about the loss of the Malaysian plane is exceedingly insensitive.
Perhaps the alternative is to weep.

I used to think that laughing in the face of adversity (whether your own or someone else's) was an English - well, British - trait. A safety valve, like all those silly films with Will Hay, George Formby et al, during the 2nd WW, making fun of serious aspects of the war. As the New York Times put it in a review of one of the latter's films in October 1940 "....the Britisher's......"thumbs up" attitude in the face of ...... danger". Perhaps it's catching on elsewhere.

And perhaps joking about something unpleasant happening to someone else is relief that it wasn't us it happened to.

Last edited:
My point is that this is a cooking forum but you seem to be more interested in non-cooking topics. And you like to provoke rather than discuss.

And I think making jokes about the loss of the Malaysian plane is exceedingly insensitive.
Well our tagline is Discover cooking. Discuss life. That is exactly what Cave has done.

Everyone deals with tragedy differently. I don't think Cave was joking at the expense of anyone.

I'm somewhat in agreement with GotGarlic. I can't help but think that if this were an American or Canadian plane that went missing, there would be an outpouring of concern here and absolutely no one would be making light of it. But because it happened on the other side of the world, that somehow makes it fair game. There are still a lot of families out there with missing loved ones who I'm sure wouldn't enjoy seeing posts of this nature - whether on DC or somewhere else. Think of how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

Just because it happens on other forums doesn't necessarily make it okay.

Last edited:
My point is that this is a cooking forum but you seem to be more interested in non-cooking topics. And you like to provoke rather than discuss.

This is a public forum and as long as the TOS are respected and observed, cave can discuss anything. This is "Off Topic" section.
Designed for "Off Topic" discussion.

Noted. I'm sorry you have that opinion of me.

Don't lose any sleep over the comments. I like your threads and your posts.

Humor in the face of tragedy is Human...This was told to me by an Alzheimer's Disease Victim:

"I love Alzheimer's, I get to hide my own Easter eggs" also "I make new friends every day"...I know she heard these somewhere else, but it's her attitude towards her disease that makes her fun to be around.

My thoughts, prayers and good vibes go out to anyone experiencing tragedy, but the dark humor is my release valve for sorrow.

"First visual sighting

The first visual sighting of objects that might be linked to the plane boosted search operations on Sunday.
Australian officials said a wooden cargo pallet, along with belts or straps, was spotted Saturday in a remote stretch of the southern Indian Ocean that has become the focus of an intense international search in recent days."

Missing Malaysian jet MH370: New French satellite images | GulfNews.com

Humor in the face of tragedy is Human...This was told to me by an Alzheimer's Disease Victim:

"I love Alzheimer's, I get to hide my own Easter eggs" also "I make new friends every day"...I know she heard these somewhere else, but it's her attitude towards her disease that makes her fun to be around.

My thoughts, prayers and good vibes go out to anyone experiencing tragedy, but the dark humor is my release valve for sorrow.

I was raised this way. I like the analogy of a "release valve". When my grandmother had breast cancer and lost one breast, her nick name became "Lefty". Doom and gloom doesn't seem healthy. Finding humor in tragedy doesn't mean that we care less, it seems more self preservation. If we don't allow some levity in tragic situations, it's easy to be consumed with sorrow.

Reactions: GB
I don't remember anyone making jokes about the Boston Marathon bombing. I think Steve is right - it's easier to joke about something that happened on the other side of the world.

It happens, it always happens.

There isn't any right or wrong here. It's what is right or wrong to you. Any time that you hang out in a public space, there will be opinions that differ from yours, and you will only make yourself frustrated trying to convince everyone to share your opinion.

There isn't any right or wrong here. It's what is right or wrong to you. Any time that you hang out in a public space, there will be opinions that differ from yours, and you will only make yourself frustrated trying to convince everyone to share your opinion.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just responding to comments in this thread.

I don't remember anyone making jokes about the Boston Marathon bombing.
Neither did I on this forum but I did read people joking about it elsewhere.

I think Steve is right - it's easier to joke about something that happened on the other side of the world.
At least with me, I agree with this. I generally tend not to joke about tragic events closer to home.

I don't remember anyone making jokes about the Boston Marathon bombing.

It's to your credit that you didn't seek out or read any of the 'jokes' brought on by that bombing. But they were made (and in the U.S.).

So true.

"A cracking and corrosion problem on Boeing 777s that could lead to the mid-air break-up of the aircraft prompted a warning from air safety regulators weeks before the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, federal records show."

"It warned that one operator of the jet “reported a 16-inch crack” in the skin of the fuselage on an airplane that was 14 years old with approximately 14,000 total flight cycles.”

The missing Malaysia Airlines jet, registration 9M-MRO, was 12 years old and had completed 7,525 cycles, the airline said.

It was not immediately clear if the airline had already begun to implement the extra checks as part of its maintenance routine. The airline said the missing aircraft was serviced on February 23, with further maintenance scheduled for June 19."

"The FAA directive on cracks applies to all Boeing 777-200, -200LR, -300, -300ER, and -777F series airplanes. The missing jet is a 777-2H6/ER."

FAA Warned of 'Cracking and Corrosion' Problem on Boeing 777s - NBC News

Yet another theory:

"While a cyberattack is believed to be among the less-likely scenarios being considered by investigators for the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370, Boeing and the U.S. FAA have already initiated moves to prevent the hostile takeover of any 777 model by unauthorized access to critical systems and data networks from the passenger cabin.

Boeing declines to comment on specific aspects of the MH370 investigation, but company sources say the earlier vintage of the in-flight entertainment and other connectivity systems of the missing 777-200ER mean the potential threat from a cyberattack is thought to be negligible.

Even so, recently issued FAA special conditions—which became effective for the 777-200, -300 and -300ER in November—are designed to address a potential loophole in the safety standards, which has emerged with the recent development of onboard network systems that connect the increasingly sophisticated passenger services computers with those hosting previously isolated critical aircraft systems and data networks."

I haven't taken the time to unravel the wording in this article to find out if the safeguards were taken BEFORE this particular plane took off or is in the process of having loopholes for all all types of triple 7s

Boeing, FAA Cut 777 Cyber Vulnerability

Back
Top Bottom