"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The Most Expensive Meal We Have Ever Had!

We had seen this Brazilian restaurant over at the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois (where we have been since last week--we're leaving tomorrow). We decided to try it. We walked in in our t-shirts and casual pants, and our jaws hit the floor. We knew it was going to be expensive, but we weren't sure of how expensive. A couple people there asked if we understood the pricing there. We decided to go for it and not worry, and I am so glad we did! It was fantastic!!! It was called Texas de Brazil. There are several in the US, so if you are looking for a really nice restaurant, give it a try!

Our server, Dale, explained how it was done. First he offered wine, but since we had planned on going to Happy Hour at our hotel later, we declined (never made it, as we spent a good long time there). First we went to the salad and soup bar. There were so many wonderful things there (including sushi and lobster bisque), and it was all arranged beautifully. We each had a paper disk with red on one side and green on the other. Whenever we were ready for meat, we were to flip it over to green. Men with huge skewers of various meats (beef, pork, lamb, bacon wrapped chicken) came to the table in rapid succession. If we wanted what they had, we had tongs to take it as they cut it. It was all done to medium-rare unless you requested something more well-done. If we wanted them to stop for awhile, we just flipped our disks over to red again, until we wanted more meat. It was all so wonderful! We were treated just as well as the couples who were dressed up in their finest clothes. When we were finishing our meal, Dale asked if we wanted to see the desserts, and we said yes. He brought a dessert tray with about eight things on it, and he named a few things that were not on it. I had the pecan pie (it was a special recipe with cream cheese in it) with vanilla ice cream on it, and I ordered carrot cake to take with us for later. James ordered flan and a strawberry cream (kind of like a fruit smoothy), and a chocolate mousse cake to take for later. The grand total (not including the $30 tip) for this meal was $149.50 (with no alcoholic drinks). I have to tell you though, it was so worth it, and I wouldn't have missed that for the world. I asked the manager (he comes to everyone's table to make sure everything is okay) if it was alright to take pictures of the salad bar, etc., and he said it was okay if I didn't take close-up pictures of the food. I will post them in a few posts, since I have around 17 or 18 pictures. If you have a Texas de Brazil near you, treat yourself some night!

Barbara

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Here are the first 5 pictures.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	5003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5004  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	5006  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5007  

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The next five:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	5009  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--7.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	5011  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--9.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	5012  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Five more:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--10.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--11.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	5019  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--12.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--13.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	5021  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--14 Dessert Tray.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5022  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Sounds wonderful, glad you enjoyed yourselves! I had wanted to go to a Brazillian steak house so bad and when I finally got to go to one I was so disapointed....I loved the idea of it but sadly the particular one that we went to in down town San Diego just did not put pride in their dishes! The meat was dry and seemed to have been sitting in the kitchen a couple of hours, there was no variety...beef, 2 kinds of chicken and maybe a pork but no lamb....their buffet for side dishes was so unappealing looking...looked as if they set up the buffet for lunch and it had been sitting left over for dinner as well. I think for two of us it was only about 60 something dollars but such a waste of money! Hopefully I can try a better one someday!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The last batch:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--14.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--15.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	5024  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--16.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--17.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5026  

Name:	Texas de Brazil 8-22-08--18.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5027  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
Sounds wonderful, glad you enjoyed yourselves! I had wanted to go to a Brazillian steak house so bad and when I finally got to go to one I was so disapointed....I loved the idea of it but sadly the particular one that we went to in down town San Diego just did not put pride in their dishes! The meat was dry and seemed to have been sitting in the kitchen a couple of hours, there was no variety...beef, 2 kinds of chicken and maybe a pork but no lamb....their buffet for side dishes was so unappealing looking...looked as if they set up the buffet for lunch and it had been sitting left over for dinner as well. I think for two of us it was only about 60 something dollars but such a waste of money! Hopefully I can try a better one someday!
What a shame! There is a Brazilian restaurant in Charlotte, which I have been wanting to try. I don't know how they could top this one though!

Barbara
Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

BTW, I took the pictures on the Candle Light setting so as not to bother the other diners, so some of the colors (like the dessert tray photo) are kind of muted. The horse sculptures outside are actually part of the mall decoration, but one is right outside of the restaurant so I included pictures of it too.

Barbara
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook

What, only 149.50 and a mere 30 dollar tip?

Heck, I'll make you a peanut butter sandwich and sharpen your gyuto and charge you more than that.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

Those photos are very nice!

I've been to Gaucho's Village here in nearby Glendale a couple of times. I try not to load up at the salad bar so you have plenty of room to sample all of their meat offerings. The two times we've been there were on Sat nights so they had live Bosa Nova music and later on in the evening, Samba dancers. Pricey, but reasonable for what you get.