"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Master Chef
The Most Important Season of the Year

Just what is the most important season of the year? Is it the Christmas Season? Is it springtime, or summer? Is it Stanley Cup Playoff Season? Those are all great seasons, as are autumn, winter, baseball season, etc. But I'm tellin' ya, the most important season of the year is fishing season, and it's almost upon us. I can just feel an 18 inch. smallmouth fight me and my 5 weight fly rod, I can almost see the flash of a brookie as it darts from cover to attack my streamer, or worm. And pike, well until you've fished the upper great lakes, you don't even know.

Another month and I'll be hip deep in a fast stream, or sitting in a boat, laying out those flies I've been tying all winter long.

So, you other fishing fanatics, what's your favorite fish to catch, your favorite bait or lure, and favorite technique? Me, I'm gonna say light/medium fly rod, going after big bass or beautiful brookies and rainbows. Techniue? Put the right fly or streamer in the right place with the right presentation, and set the hook.

I'm gettin' the itch. I can almost smell the green forest and dusty trails. I wish I was twenty years old again. It's harder to walk a rugged, streamside path, through knee-deep muck, and nettle that clings to every step you take, trying to hold you back. Adn don't forget the logs you have to crawl over, the beaver dams you have to cross, without falling in to the pond, and branches that seem to reach out and touch you. And I won't even get into the bugs! When you catch fish in U.P. streams, you've earned them. You've worked for them. And the feeling is fine.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Master Chef
So, I'm sensing you like to fish!

Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Executive Chef
When I lived in Northern Ontario our favourite fish to catch was pickerel. I liked it much better than the pike we caught in Northern Manitoba, those pike were big and mean! Happy fishing, Goodweed!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Bream on a fly rod...popping bug or black gnat...or a cane pole with worms/crickets.
White Perch (Crappie) on a pole with a jig or minnows....
Catfish on a trot line/throw line, or jugs using various baits...Like to "tight line" sometimes too. Bass on a Spin cast.....with spinner baits, plastic worms, etc....
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
Master Chef
Goodweed, I'm not a fisher. That said, have you ever vacationed in eastern Montana? In our years on the road in a camper, the only place I saw people consistently come back from the local stream with a bunch of fish was in Montana. If you like camping, consider a vacation there this summer.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Head Chef
Goodweed, I'm a fisher and I am excited about fishing this summer. I usually go with a friend and my grown son, we each take 3 rods, out in a boat. I caught a NICE northern two years ago, and a nice large mouth bass last year. We use minnows and night crawlers for bait.
Mostly when I'm not gardening/canning, I'm fishing for blue gills and crappies. Which reminds me I have a little bit of fish from last year frozen (filets) and it's about time for a fish fry again.
My favorite time is the hour before sunset. I love watching the clouds in the wind, reflections of the waves, and when the waves stop and it's flat and peaceful and then the colors the sky makes when the sun is going down.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I love to fish

Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote