The New iPhone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
My son believes in Mac and Steve Jobs. Like some kind of 'god' he admires and respects. ANYT HING Mac puts out my son feels has to be always the best in his opinion. That is HIS opinion. He has wanted iPhone ever since first heard about it but because of the cost he dismissed it but always felt he would get one. Since he got $600 refund he used it to get his iPHone. Now he tells me new iPhone cost only $199? How can this be? That they dropped the price so much and so quick? Doesn't sound like good business to me. Am I missing something. I know most of you are so much more wiser in computers could you take time to explain to me? He tells me I am not interest ed anyway that is why he doesn't explain reasons. When it comes to this amount of money it does!

Whenever you have kids, seems you are always behind in everything. Cars, music, tv, etc. I just wonder if my mother felt this way too. I thought she was always smarter than I was. Have times changed that much? I just think kids today get too much and too q uick. What about this wii thing? That is something else he wants. Who can keep up?

They did drop the price of the phone itself, but the cheapest calling plan has gone up $10 a month.

Also, if he bought his iPhone at an AT&T store within the last month (I don't remember exactly when, but check with AT&T) then they will offer a large amount of money back if he wants to buy the newer version. At least that is what I have heard.

I love my iPhone and would love the new one, but I will just have to wait until this one no longer works before I spend that much $ again.

The new one requires an ATT service plan. They won't sell it to you unless you sign up for one before leaving the store. The old one didn't. They did this because too many people were "unlocking" their Iphones themselves and using co's other than ATT for their service. Apple and ATT had thought they had an exclusive arrangement until so many clever computer people figured out their coding.

To remedy that, they make you sign up for ATT. Like GB said, the plans are more expensive now, but they dropped the price of the phone to offset that.

"Customers who bought Apple Inc.'s iPhones at its stores on or after May 27 can exchange the handset for the faster, cheaper new model and get some money back.Apple said Monday it will offer two new versions of the iPhone on July 11. Each costs $200 less than its predecessor. Clients will get a refund for the price difference, minus a 10 percent restocking fee, said Wes Warnock, a spokesman for San Antonio-based AT&T."

My company bought 4 Blackberries from ATT for $199 each and the next week they were $99 and ATT wouldn't offer us any refund. That's just how technology is, I guess.

You Too?

gb you bought one too and you like it? Good! I feel better now that I know YOU got one. Then it is okay.So you think it was worth it? I am thankful you are satisfied with it. He did get this new phone but I sure don't know where. Have to ask him, if I remember. Seems he has it in his hands all the time. he tells me it does so many different operations that he is always finding out something different. When he first got it, he was reluctant to tell his friends as he figured t hey would all give him the 'raspberries' for spending so much. It is okay when they get all these new cars but if he gets something they don't have t hey let him know about it. Sounds like jealousy to me but he claims they always want what he has. I thank you for telling me that you like it and agree with his investment. I will tell him about checking out with AT&T.

What is the 16G red kitty? is that another different phone?

He can only get money back if he bought it from ATT on or after May 27.

Everyone I know who has one (and I know a lot of people who do) love it. The phone, that is. No one I know loves ATT.

I LOVE my iPhone. It is the best phone I have ever owned. It does not do everything and it does have some downsides, but for me it works perfectly.

It is an entertainment device not a business device. Anyone getting it for business use will probably be disapponted. If you want to surf the Internet and use email and listen to tunes wherever you are then the iPhone is the best.

I typed this on my iPhone while eating my lunch outside.

The 16G is bigger than the new small one advertised for $199 (it's $299).

All my friends who have iPhones love them too GB. I will be using it for business and personal, calls, texts and checking emails. Obviously I will use it for music and surfing the web too!

If your business use is just emails then you will be fine Red. If you need to do spreadsheets and word documents and things like that then you are out of luck. Also there is no copy and paste feature yet which is a big downfall IMO. The great thing about this phone though is that they are constantly updating the software so even though there is not copy and paste now, there could be in the future.

The day AT&T bought out Cingular was a bad day indeed. Here AT&T also bought out the local phone company, which is why we don't have a home phone. I do not like AT&T. With Cingular everything worked smoothly, with AT&T if you are late one day with payment they lock your account on you. Their customer service stinks as well, trying to get my phone fixed instead they shut off the SIM card and I had to go to a store to get a new one. It was for free but still a hassle.
So, if the only way you can get the new iPhone is thru AT&T, save yourself the headache. Check out some cell phone sites on the web, you may be able to get an unlocked version there and pick your own carrier. I don't know about the 16Gb, it will probably take some time to hit the cellular resellers, but the 8gb iPhone is still out there. This is one site that carries it:
Apple iPhone 8GB Unlocked
About half the phones I have bought I have bought unlocked and not from the carrier. They have resell value that way so when I upgrade I get some of my money back out of them. Plus I don't have to sign a new contract or extend my current one just for a discount on the phone.

I am the Anti neo-luddite. I LOVE TECH and gadgets! I have thought a lot about the iphone...

the main draw I like about the new roll out, it supports corporate email. I like the interface of the iphone, and have since day 1. BUT, this is the EXACT reason I did not rush out and spend $600 on the first gen iphone. Now, basically the SAME phone, slimmer desig, and 1/2 the price?!? As for the gig factor, really, I do not need 18, or 16, or whatever...I have always had a 2 gig card and can store what ever I needed no issues, and when done/tired of it, change it. These new models seem to fit my needs(and wants)so perfectly, i can't help but wat to jump on the band wagon.

The ability to support corp. email, the slick user interface, and the media playing abilities might just make me ditch my Blackberry curve and join the dark side. I am really thinking about it cause dang, that thing is COOL!

Last edited:
You can't separate me from my Blackberry Titanium Curve!! Or DW from her Blackberry Red Curve! Maybe if the iPhone comes way down in price and they give it a removable battery (or have they fixed that in the new one?) I might consider it. That 16gb is pretty alluring though, have to admit.

Yeah it is really fun being about to DC anywhere I go. Makes waiting rooms and things like that much easier to deal with.

Apple is very good at advertising. The quality of their products is usually very good. The user interface and the usability is also very good compared to other products. This is why many people prefer to buy apple, even if some of their products can't do certain things that others can. I have been using windows all my life, but have recently switched to iMac. I must say, its a breath of fresh air. Its 100 times better than windows.

Soooo true. I have been using Macs since the 80's. It's all I know! One part time job I had last year used PC's and I hated it!

I just bought my next computer, its a Dell, love it! No problems so far and I am looking forward to testing out the HD features as well as Blu-ray features on it.
Love the storage, too, dual 320gb HDD's. The SoundBlaster SurroundSound Dolby Digital system is awesome coming over the speakers on the laptop alone, but when hooked up to the home entertainment system it rocks!
I have already been told to turn it down!! LOL. And it is great for hooking into the home theater to play Netflix Instant movies over the TV and theater speakers. Good thing it came with Bluetooth stereo headphones!
Another thing I like is that they cleared up the networking system so now all of our computers are linked correctly on the home network, makes sharing pictures, movies, and music a breeze now.
And it works perfectly with my Blackberry Curve, just transfered 2gb of music and 2 movies to my phone! Sweet....

I LOVE my iPhone. It is the best phone I have ever owned. It does not do everything and it does have some downsides, but for me it works perfectly.

It is an entertainment device not a business device. Anyone getting it for business use will probably be disapponted. If you want to surf the Internet and use email and listen to tunes wherever you are then the iPhone is the best.

I typed this on my iPhone while eating my lunch outside.

aww you suck.. wait..ok no i mean im jealous is a better way of putting it..

EDIT..

you dont suck, im just jealous is all but i would rather have a 4 wheeler..

Back
Top Bottom